It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verona,Italy to ban new kebab shops & other shops selling deep fried food

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
To those of you who haven't had the opportunity of visiting Verona I would encourage you to do so. Historically Verona was important as an intersection of roads between competing invaders and allies. Its conserved architecture is truly beautiful, (The city has been awarded World Heritage Site status by UNESCO because of its urban structure and architecture.en.wikipedia.org...)

The Veronese are a proud people, having the gumption to take on even Napoleon;

Verona was occupied by Napoleon in 1797, but on Easter Monday the populace rose and drove out the French. It was then that Napoleon made an end of the Venetian Republic. Verona became Austrian territory when Napoleon signed the Treaty of Campo Formio in October 1797. The Austrians took control of the city on 18 January 1798

Having travelled extensively in Italy and seen how ugly and underpatronized McDonalds (even after adapting the cuisine to local dishes) stores are, I say good on you Verona for staying true to your cultural heritage. The legislation will not be retrospective so "haters" need not cry "racism disguised"

In a world becoming increasing bland and homogenized this is a breath of fresh air. Now if only us Aussies start taking the same approach we will truly begin to have a sense of history and pride; with the added benefit of showing that forced multi-culturism is an abysimal failure.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Kebab shops and restaurants selling deep-fried food have been banned from opening in Verona.

Officials desperate to prevent the 'decorum' of the northern Italian city from disappearing have passed a ruling that also prohibits any new restaurants from selling 'ethnic' food after a rise in Middle Eastern cuisine.

Flavio Tosi, Mayor of Verona, said he hoped the ruling, which was implemented this week, would protect the 'typical culture' of the UNESCO World Heritage site.

'Thanks to this provision there will be no more openings of establishments that sell food prepared in a way that could impact the decorum of our city,' he said, according to Andrea Vogt for The Telegraph.

'This protects not only our historic and architectural patrimony of the city centre but also the tradition of typical culture of the Verona territory.'

www.rt.com...

City officials in Venice are also contemplating similar restrictions to limit mini-markets, trinket shops, money transfer points and internet call centers that they claim have been skyrocketing recently and are often managed by Chinese or Muslim immigrants.

“Some of this gimcrackery, especially when we don’t know even know where it’s made, is difficult to reconcile with the city,” said Venice Mayor Luigi Brugnaro, complaining that cheap souvenirs are contributing to the “Disneyfication” of the city. “These are things that have nothing to do with our history and frankly create discomfort,” he said as cited by The Daily Telegraph.

Critics, however, said the new regulations were discriminatory towards Italy’s migrant population.

A number of controversial rulings have popped up across Italy recently.

This week the country’s top court turned down the so-called “anti-mosque laws” that would have put a set of restrictions on building religious architecture in Lombardy. The right-wing activists of the northwestern region approved the laws in January 2015 in a bid to prevent the construction of new mosques or any other worship facilities aimed at practicing a faith not officially recognized by the state

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Officials desperate to prevent the 'decorum' of the northern Italian city from disappearing have passed a ruling that also prohibits any new restaurants from selling 'ethnic' food after a rise in Middle Eastern cuisine.

No Chinese cuisine in Verona?
www.tripadvisor.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Unless there was already places serving such cuisine. The ban only effects new openings anything already established is grandfathered in.

ETA: Oh and gasp...one could venture so far as Google and make themselves some better authentic Chinese food themselves really easily. I would actually think it would taste better and be way healthier and depending on the inclination more authentic. I have a friend from northern Italy and both her and her husband have shown me the authenticness of that areas foods.
edit on 5-3-2016 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

edit on 3/5/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
No greasy Italian sausages my father use to love?

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
A ban instituted, why?

Were "ethnic" eatery fine until mid-eastern cuisine showed up?

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Nah, apparently the Chink food is okay, it's just that damn Muslim food they can't abide.

Me, I love ethnic food of all kinds. Variety is the spice of life. I'm lucky in my neighborhood, I can get great Indian food, sushi, Mexican food, Thai, Vietnamese, Middle Eastern....oh and that Italian stuff too.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Funny enough some of the freshest foods and most diverse cheese I've ever had has come from northern Italy. Not to mention they freak at the thought of any of our processed foods or additives. In fact some great wines from Italy are ruined every year being shipped into the US because we require they add sulfates to them for preservation. Sulfates if you do some Google foo and read is a major cause of wines horrible hangover effects as well as ruining the taste. I say that last bit from personal experience ( I don't do wine and it was good). I'm glad they are interested in upholding their heritage and culture. I mean if you look North they are holding out on schnitzel lmao.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

this is outrageous, whats next a total ban on Crab Juice?

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
It's not hard to understand why! Europe is going to protect themselves from invasion.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99
Yes.
Stop the kebabs before it's too late!

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The falafel invasion
edit on 5-3-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
A night out in Verona will never be the same.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I think Italy has been having a food war for a long time.

I guess certain areas are known for their food - - - and some are trying to keep it local.

Fried kebabs sound awesome to me

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
It's not hard to understand why! Europe is going to protect themselves from invasion.

Im still waiting for this so call invasion, too bad people post stuff not understanding what a word really means.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Nah, apparently the Chink food is okay,

I was enjoying the discussion right until you crapped all over it.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
In my day A weekend drinking in the uk wouldn't be complete without hearing the infamous words "Chilli sauce mate". Even if it left you stinkin in the morning

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
In my day A weekend drinking in the uk wouldn't be complete without hearing the infamous words "Chilli sauce mate". Even if it left you stinkin in the morning

I still sometimes give in to temptation. .. Though my go to is a curry mostly, got a brilliant Nepalese place in Gloucester now, I could eat curry every day...

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK I'm sure if I could drink I would give into temptation, but being drunk is quite important in the process. I used to love them and the fact I used to live round the corner from a pretty good shop was always a temptation. They never tasted great on a week night sober or during the day, when you had your wits about you and thought aboutwhat you were eating. Still, never say never.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Shish kebabs are better when sober, but I've had a lot of doners while sober too. Extra chilli every time

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join