It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A thought on the Sun

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
a reply to: Bedlam

Of course. The Solar magnetic field flips polarity back and forth quite frequently.

Oh! That must account for my dizzy spells then

Maybe. The Sun reverses magnetic polarity with every new sunspot cycle. I'd say that's way more than 2 or 3%.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

A good question. And I respect the question as you give it. It is because God is the greatest scientist. And to date no human has come to know him. And no one will ever know him as he is. If he says something is true, it is true. Thus his word triumphs all scientific endeavors on earth, and all efforts to ignore what he says, and all efforts to erase him will fail.

So in that line of thought, not using my own knowledge, before, I did use knowledge I have learned from reading and school and study, but afterwards, when I discerned the OP was very concerned about the end of the earth, I used God's word, to assuage his fears.

It was the decent and human thing to do. Anyone reading what I wrote can see that. As God is the ultimate and greatest Scientist, as he created the laws of the universe for our scientists to contemplate, I view NOTHING wrong with quoting him as a GREAT Scientist.

And as you confess to believe in him as well, I find it interesting you ask this question (you said you are a Catholic) I see you are a thinker. And you will mediate, perhaps, more deeply on this answer than other folk.

(Ecclesiastes 3:11) 11 Everything he has made pretty in its time. Even time indefinite he has put in their heart, that mankind may never find out the work that the [true] God has made from the start to the finish.

edit on 5-3-2016 by JackReyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Just looking at all the rocky bodies in the solar system tells you that asteroid strikes aren't just possible, they are guaranteed. The fact that our planet has weather, oceans and vegetation to hide the evidence doesn't mean that there is none. Plenty of evidence, everywhere.

edit on 5-3-2016 by Jonjonj because: added oceans, in a godlike way

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Yes ... I think it was last year the Suns poles flipped
I stood on my head so as to not be affected

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: JackReyes
As God is the ultimate and greatest Scientist, as he created the laws of the universe for our scientists to contemplate, I view NOTHING wrong with quoting him as a GREAT Scientist.

Except the Moon's not a light, just a reflector.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Yes ... I think it was last year the Suns poles flipped
I stood on my head so as to not be affected

Must be uncomfortable. How do you know which way you should be to correspond to the Sun's polarity? And are you leaning at about 23 degrees?

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   

And are you leaning at about 23 degrees?

Only briefly ... after which I tend to fall on my face

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   
An interesting factoid, slightly off topic, but still interesting.
Our moon is moving away from earth at a rate of 1.5 inches a year...

It would be reasonable to think that the tidal bulge on the Earth produced by the moon sits directly on a line between the two objects. But due to the rotation of the Earth and the reluctance of material to move, the bulge is actually dragged slightly ahead of the moon. The gravity from this extra little lump of material adds a little extra tug on the moon’s orbit, accelerating it.
As we know from Kepler’s laws of motion, when something is sped up in orbit, its orbital altitude will increase. In the case of the moon, it is moving away from us at a rate of 3.78 centimeters (1.5 inches) per year. In addition, the moon also exerts a tiny pull on the tidal bulge and because the moon is slightly behind the bulge, it slows the rotation of the Earth by about 4 hours every billion years!

link

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: JackReyes

I am not a Catholic in the least, and yet again, we are escaping from the raw basis for this thread, and even from the subject matter which this forum was designed to encompass.

While I happen to agree with you on the idea that God is the greatest scientist, I cannot agree that discussion of his work is at its best when a Bible quote is conflated for a legitimate scientific position. Science, and discussion thereof, is at its best when only measurable, physical and quantum effects are being discussed, absent any subjective position or reasoning what so ever.

Science is a tool best used unbiased by matters of faith. The modes of thought involved govern entirely separate elements of living in my experience. Faith pertains to the soul, the spirit, that which science not only cannot explain currently, but never will. Science pertains to the physical universe, and is as useful a tool to the faithless, as to the faithful, as such must be dealt with without reference to anything other than the physical, measurable universe, and the principles which guide its form and function, the purely mathematical constructs, which you and I believe are merely echoes of the word of God.

Dealing with scientific matters should be a process absent reference to God, in order to be valid, because it is a tool which EVERYONE, not just believers like yourself and I, use. In order for a point to be valid in a scientific sense, it must be absent subjective reasoning, that is, reasoning that only works if one has beliefs which fall outside of pure logic.

I love Christ as much as the next God fearing man, but this is not the sort of arena in which referring to the Bible has any place what so ever.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   

I apologize, I don't know why I thought you said you were Catholic.

But as far as scientific endeavors are concerned. You are wrong. Scientists today start out with the idea, "there is NO GOD" and every evidence and clue that leads them away from their false conclusion, makes them mad. And they continually try to contort, and distort their ideas. to make them understand a universe where he does not exist.

The fact that every time they are lead to the conclusion a God has to have existed, they retort it, and make more and more distorted hypothesis on how we came to me shows their bias.

I would agree with you as far as, if the evidence leads you, you keep going. But in this case, that is not so. They ignore and reject evidences, and make up things to keep their blind beliefs the way they want it to be.

And you are trying to continue it by excusing them.

Nevertheless. Nothing, not one thing from God's word I stated above will EVER be wrong. I may be wrong. I am wrong all the time. 10000 times wrong a day. But not God. And I am perhaps not the fool you think I am.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

BUNKUM! Total and utter bunkum sir, I refute your position entirely! First of all, I do not think you a fool. You clearly have wit, and fools do not.

However, your assertion that all scientific endeavour originates from a lack of belief in God is entirely and utterly false. For a start, science has been in action since the caveman era of human endeavour, with evidence that fairly complicated surgery was done with bone knives, herbal remedies of potency administered to ancient persons by other ancient persons, and so on and so forth.

The mere fact that ancient mariners were able to traverse the oceans and navigate by starlight shows that astronomy was alive and well back in time, and yet in its first sparks as a field of study, it was assumed that the stars were representations of, or perhaps embodied gods and totemic, spiritual beings. The Egyptians knew enough of it to lay out their pyramids in formation with the stars, and all that they knew was dictated from their mythology. You cannot possibly suggest that all scientific endeavour has its origins in atheistic realms of thinking, and you cannot do that because it is simply absurd.

However, the period in which we are living today, and the massive increase in the speed at which scientific advancements have come about in the last few decades, have come not from a militant or staunchly atheistic realm of thinking, but from a realm of thought which abandons all but the data that can be verified without necessarily holding a faith. The reason this is most efficient, is because it means that persons of various faiths, AND no faith, can collaberate on an even field of play, minds all turning in similar directions, regardless of the theological arguments which might come up between two members of different faiths.

Ones faith is irrelevant when discussing science, because modern scientific discussion, quite rightly, ignores anything it cannot examine, and it cannot examine God, and so ignores his presence, which is a much cleaner method of getting to the truth for its own sake.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

And are you leaning at about 23 degrees?

Only briefly ... after which I tend to fall on my face

A bit more of this wine and I'll be following you. Whee! Night off! Back to washing dirty clothes. (sigh)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   

All very well said. And you make many valid points. Which I appreciate. But I think what you said at the end sums it up. All scientific endeavor has to ignore God.

And that is where his Word triumphs all other thought.

I am not trying to negate the scientific advancements of mankind. Even God himself said that nothing would be unacheiveable for us:

(Genesis 11:6, 7) . . .“Look! They are one people with one language, and this is what they have started to do. Now there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be impossible for them. 7 Come! Let us go down there and confuse their language in order that they may not understand one another’s language.”

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

And we are safe on it. God will NOT allow anything to destroy it EVER.

It's already been destroyed several times. Pretty much everything tossed and a new restart. It'll happen again, given enough time.

All before human life. And if you take human life into account, you can even call the global flood, or deluge, the end of a world.

But when has the earth ever been destroyed? NEVER. And we have the promise that it never will be.

No meteor, while humans live on earth, will ever hit earth to kill us. No one will ever die of a meteor strike. Because, while Satan may rule the earth the angels protect it from outside. All of the damage being done is by humans, and Satan of course. All of it.

People have died from meteor impacts.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

It ignores him, but does not deny him. They are not the same thing.

Perhaps it is better to say, that when discussing science with a disparate group of individuals, the only effective way to communicate about it, is to discuss the minute detail of it, not our personal beliefs on the subject. We can discuss dry, and theology free theory, hypotheses derived from and containing no particular theology. But when we discuss these matters broadly, we cannot insert our religious faith into such discussions because such things invalidate our points, or rather, make them less accessible to others.

Since the whole idea of science is that it is a tool used by everyone to navigate their physical lives, and by some to answer questions, the answers to which may advance our technology and our species, it should be dealt with in neutral terms, terms which neither refer to, or deny the existence of a creator, but do not even deal with theological arguments, instead rigidly focusing on that which can be touched, tasted, seen and heard without having a hardline to the creator of all that is.

Secular thought should not be impossible, or unpalatable to a man of faith, unless that faith is not based in belief, but in dogma. Those of us with faith worth counting on, do not require every last thing to come with a Bible passage in order to know the wisdom of a thing.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
You can trust in science as much as it provides for and protects humankind.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras

Any record would be nice.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

originally posted by: Bedlam

And we are safe on it. God will NOT allow anything to destroy it EVER.

It's already been destroyed several times. Pretty much everything tossed and a new restart. It'll happen again, given enough time.

All before human life. And if you take human life into account, you can even call the global flood, or deluge, the end of a world.

But when has the earth ever been destroyed? NEVER. And we have the promise that it never will be.

No meteor, while humans live on earth, will ever hit earth to kill us. No one will ever die of a meteor strike. Because, while Satan may rule the earth the angels protect it from outside. All of the damage being done is by humans, and Satan of course. All of it.

People have died from meteor impacts.

It would have to have happened in space, since a meteor that strikes the Earth is a meteorite.
Up until the last few weeks, there has never been a meteorite fatality in recorded history.
There were claims recently that a meteorite struck in India and killed a man, but NASA has rebutted that claim.
CNN

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
one other thing, while orbiting the sun....we are hauling buns through space towards the star Vega....opposite the star Sirius

so we may be affected by passing forces....

edit on 5-3-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

The Sun is racing along in an orbit around the Milky Way and pulling us along for the ride in a Vortex type motion.

The Sun is located in the Orion Arm of the Milky Way as is Sirius which is a spit away at 8.5 light years
Vega too as it is a mere 25 light years away

edit on 5-3-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join