It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone still play board games?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Does anyone still play things like monopoly, scrabble, chess, checkers, snakes and ladders etc?

I used to love playing monopoly, scrabble and chess. My wife doesn't like chess so I'm now down to playing on the phone or computer against a computer and it's just not the same.

Strange topic I know, but I thought it would be something a bit different from the norm.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Yes Terry. I play snakes and ladders with my daughter and enjoy a game of scrabble too. I got bored of monopoly a while ago. However in my new home I will be setting up a subutteo pitich.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I love board games! And can't wait til my son is old enough to enjoy the simple pleasures of Snakes and Ladders. And Monopoly. So he, too, can experience the pain of some horrible adult purchasing Mayfair and Park Lane and becoming bankrupt because the dice hate him!

Also looking forward to simpler games, such as Trouble! Headache! And Mouse-Trap

I personally like Scrabble and Chess. Chess is -not- my strong point, but I managed to win a game the other day because my partner wasn't paying attention, I was soooo happy!

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
last time i played a board game i was at a friends house playing xbox 360 and the power went out so we decided to play monopoly, i forget who won.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Settlers of Catan is a lot of fun. Also just got a new one called concept. You have to convey something (person place thing phrase etc) using different icons on the board which represent concepts. Will Wheaton has a you tube show called table top, where he plays board games with people. Actually pretty good!!

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Yes! At the moment we're playing Frustration like there's no tomorrow! My oldest son loves it.....when he wins hahaha He's not quite old enough for Monopoly or The Game of Life yet though so it's just the simple games for now.
Board games aren't just fun they're good for learning to count and using strategies to win and all that.

Before I had kids me and my mates used to sit around all the time till the early hours of the morning smoking and playing monopoly. Used to be a good laugh.

Board games for the win!!

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Just a couple of days ago i got a sweet deal on Space hulk, frigging awesome game,

I also like other, older and rarer games like heroquest and space crusade..

..cant wait when they re-release Adeptus titanicus, hopefully later this year..

edit on 5-3-2016 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Yep. We have a lot of board games we play with our kids. Everything from Monopoly to Clue to some regional games like "Pittsburgh in a Box" that are based off Monopoly, only all the themes and squares are tied to the regional topic/place. I also play pen & paper RPGs with my kids (it's a lot of fun to put together a little 1-2 hour D&D adventure for an 8 and 9 year old.) We also play some card games. It's great for times when you're camping or out at a cabin off the grid and our Alaska weather turns to crap. Keeps the kids engaged and that keeps mom & dad sane and happy.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   
My daughter has a Barbie game from the early 60's that my wife had when she was a little girl. It's fun to play the game with my daughter to see who can be the first to be elected president of a school club, have a steady boyfriend, buy a prom dress, and become queen of the prom.

2.bp.blogspot.com...

edit on 5-3-2016 by Monsieur Neary because: url incorrect

edit on 5-3-2016 by Monsieur Neary because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   
After reading your responses it kind of makes me sad that I don't play like I used to

I might just have to get some and force people to play

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I am obsessed with beating my computer for a second time at chess.
I smear most humans.
The computer is a bitch.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   

I'll play chess occasionally,but the other board games I find incredibly boring.
I recently beat a relative at chess that everyone in my family says is unbeatable,I beat him even though he took all my power pieces other than my bishop and few pawns,after that chess has never been mentioned in that relatives house again.

edit on 5-3-2016 by VashTheStampede because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

I swear to god I'm going to have a ceremonial chopping and burning ceremony for Mousetrap pretty soon.
It's so damnably awkward setting up all those bits.

Yes lots and lots; Scrabble, Cluedo, Snakes and Ladders. I've got 4 kids, so it's board game a-go-go round here. But I love it, so no complaints (except MOUSETRAP!! Aargh!
)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Hehe!

Yes, I remember my father's... irrational -rage-!... while setting up that game when I was younger. Ok, maybe not so irrational!

I'm sure once I've set it up once for nostalgia's sake, I'll never want to set it up again, and knowing my luck my son will love it the most and demand it on a daily basis.
The horror.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

Mine only want it so they can laugh at my ineptitude, I'm certain of it. They get far more amusement out of that than actually playing the game.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Yes.

I play Cluedo, Monopoly, Connect 4, Zombicide, Time Stories, Risk (Star Wars and Lord of The Rings versions are both amazing), and I used to play an awful lot of chess, but it's been some time now, since last I had a match. I have quite forgotten all but the basics of the game, so busy have I been with other pursuits. Speaking of pursuits, I do enjoy a trivial pursuit now and again, although I tend to fair poorly with all but the science questions, mostly because much of the rest of TP is contemporary nonsense, which I have very little time for. I honestly do not, and have never cared who was the highest charting musician in a given year, and so have never learned the factoids involved with that element of the game.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Board Games over the last 4 or 5 years have been experiencing a huge golden age. New games released regularly, clubs, lots more people playing them. It's really a good time for Board games.

Not so much the traditional Monopoly/Cluedo type, but the new and much more fun ones.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

The old man and I used to play chess a lot, BC, i taught him how to play on one of our first dates (I know exciting, right?!) and he became quite good. We've really no time anymore.
We always take yahtzee camping or to the beach with us in case of bad weather.
My parents helped my children learn to count and such using a game called Skip Bo which is a simple card game if you've never heard of it.
Back in the "partying" years my friends and I would sit for hours playing Spades.
My parents, extended family, and friends used to play a game called Wahoo...My Dad crafted the wooden board it was played on. It's a marble game similar to Parchisi. I have, ironically, inherited three of the boards Dad made even though none of us play anymore.
My Mom LOVED this game and was a fierce competitor. As she aged and her mind was leaving she was unable to count and move her marbles correctly around the board. My girls would come to me and say "are we supposed to be correcting her if she's sort of...cheating?"
Winning isn't the point, Grandma's on her throne as Queen Wahoo Champion of the Region! Enjoy her!

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Recently I had to put a new HD in my main desktop, and Chessmaster 9000 refused to install. I've been meaning to pick up a copy of Chessmaster Grandmaster edition for months, but haven't gotten around to it. Last night, I unpacked one of my old Novag Super Expert C computers, cleaned it off and set it up. Didn't get a chance to play it, what with housecleaning and all. But I'm hoping to get in a game or two this weekend. Been a while since I've actually pushed pieces instead of clicking them with a mouse.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Of course I do
last one that I played was Risk, but I admit it depresses me when I build an empire and it gets destroyed to its ashes

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join