It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New octopus species discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Fellow cephalopod fans, the Okeanos Explorer vessel found this guy in the waters off Hawaii. Nice color. Sort of a lavenderish.

More octopi:

Here's a Dumbo Octopus:

A Blue-Ringed Octopus:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Looks almost translucent, ghost-like.

edit on 4-3-2016 by Lysergic because: holy crap that was big

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Sooo cuuute!

Who doesn't want to be eaten by those?

Fthagn!

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

You meant ... Who doesn't want to eat those?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Has anyone ever made an octo-pie?

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

Has anyone ever made an octo-pie?

No, but we make tako. This one does look nice and fluffy.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I was sort of joking, but octopus when cooked correctly is a tasty thing. There are several ways to cook it. It's common all along the Mediterranean along with being in Asian cuisines.

Someday, I am going to take up the challenge and pick one up at my local fish counter and try cooking it. The main challenge is that it is really easy to overcook, like squid only worse.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I wonder if it is an albino? When visiting the new aquarium in Toronto, Canada the octopi are my favourite species to view.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Wow! Great thread! I had to chuckle though when I saw it was in the 'pet' forum. LOL
edit on 5-3-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

great pics, being from Australia we fear the blue ringed Octopus as much as a Grizzly Bear

en.wikipedia.org...

Toxicity[edit]
The blue-ringed octopus, despite its small size, carries enough venom to kill 26 adult humans within minutes. Their bites are tiny and often painless, with many victims not realizing they have been envenomated until respiratory depression and paralysis start to set in.[7] No blue-ringed octopus antivenom is available yet, making it one of the deadliest reef inhabitants in the ocean.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

When I was a kid i went fishing with my dad and I caught a blue ring octopus, I flipped it onto the rocks and watched in awe at its electric blue colors. And it was tiny.

My brother and I knew it was dangerous so didn't get close, We couldn't leave it on the rocks as there were a few families fishing, so we flicked it back out to sea and cut the line.

It probably had a hook and line attached to it for as long as it lived

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

It most likely died of infection as do the majority of injured fish that are thrown back.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Wow! Great thread! I had to chuckle though when I saw it was in the 'pet' forum. LOL

I posted it in the General Chat forum. A mod moved it!

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

a reply to: skunkape23

I was sort of joking, but octopus when cooked correctly is a tasty thing. There are several ways to cook it. It's common all along the Mediterranean along with being in Asian cuisines.

Someday, I am going to take up the challenge and pick one up at my local fish counter and try cooking it. The main challenge is that it is really easy to overcook, like squid only worse.

That's like eating a dolphin, chimpanzee, or mountain gorilla...
The things are intelligent. They create art. I used to think they tasted good, but they are sentient and can talk to one another with their bodies in ways we can barely comprehend.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Wow its so cute. Reminds me of a ity bitty little larva stage Cthulhu, even got the vibrant coloring, there so much more cuter when there smaller and tinyer.

But so is everything else, kind of like cats are meh, what do you want? Stay away from that sofa you! But kitty's are! Oh look at wittle kitty oh its so cute when its putting holes in that sofa with its ity bitty tiny claws!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

originally posted by: Night Star

I posted it in the General Chat forum. A mod moved it!

Maybe he has a pet octopus. LOL Great thread in any case!

edit on 7-3-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
That's an interesting opalescent coloring. Guessing it's likely that just one of the many camouflage colors it can change to. Can't wait to see more of this species.

top topics

join