It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AZ Repulicans freak out when atheist gets to speak opening prayer

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Biased? Maybe.
Ignorant? Probably.
Simply not caring? Definitely.

I must have missed your actual point buried somewhere in all the semantics & attempts at witty snark. I probably jumped to a conclusion on what exactly it is you've been trying to get across. I'll try to reread the thread more carefully, but arguments between Atheists & Godists give me a terrible headache.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

So it sounds like after saying the need to include a higher power is ridiculous and you have none .. that you do have a higher power and something you consider above yourself.

People should not let their bias make them ignorant and foolish.

What are you even talking about?

Do you know?

Yes, that anyone without a belief in some higher power is unfit for office. Even if your higher power is some moral or legal code, you have one. If you think you are above everything and nothing is over you, then you probably belong in a mental health setting, as a patient.

What are you talking about, and do you know?

What is above and below?

Now that you look foolish playing both sides and called out for it you want to play games. Go play elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

So it sounds like after saying the need to include a higher power is ridiculous and you have none .. that you do have a higher power and something you consider above yourself.

Do you know?

Yes, that anyone without a belief in some higher power is unfit for office. Even if your higher power is some moral or legal code, you have one. If you think you are above everything and nothing is over you, then you probably belong in a mental health setting, as a patient.

What is above and below?

Now that you look foolish playing both sides and called out for it you want to play games. Go play elsewhere.

I have no idea what you're going on about.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica

Biased? Maybe.
Ignorant? Probably.
Simply not caring? Definitely.

I must have missed your actual point buried somewhere in all the semantics & attempts at witty snark. I probably jumped to a conclusion on what exactly it is you've been trying to get across. I'll try to reread the thread more carefully, but arguments between Atheists & Godists give me a terrible headache.

There is no Godist/Atheist argument here.

My point was this atheist had a moment to shine and prove his critics wrong and bring everyone together, instead he took jabs at Christians, and proved his critics right. I don't care if you are Christian, atheist, or whateverist, there is no place for that and it's what is wrong with politics today.

It's a shame the man was so ignorant and biased he had to make the claim Christians don't do anything other than look to God and only atheists actually help people ... here was a golden opportunity for someone to get in there and stop the us vs them mentality, stop the rhetoric, stop the ugly nasty politics, and just say hey it doesn't matter we're all the same and we need to work together and we can have different opinions and different beliefs and still love each other and work together.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Do you know?

What is above and below?

Listen, I already quoted you saying something, then saying you never said it, then admitting again you said it.

If you have nothing to contribute I have no desire to get involved with the games you want to play because I pointed out your posts were inconsistent.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Do you know?

What is above and below?

Listen, I already quoted you saying something, then saying you never said it, then admitting again you said it.

You mean the part where I mirrored your words?

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   

I see what you're saying... But until all the religious zealots willingly take religion out of politics then it is very much us vs them.

Not sure why you'd expect him to do any of that though, he was still a republican after all.
edit on 6-3-2016 by Esoterotica because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   

I pointed out your posts were inconsistent.

Good to know.

Here's a metal

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Do you know?

What is above and below?

And then admitted what you were left with sounded ridiculous and was something you did not believe at all .. yeah, I remember that part. It's what I keep referring to.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

I see what you're saying... But until all the religious zealots willingly take religion out of politics then it is very much us vs them.

Not sure why you'd expect him to do any of that though, he was still a republican after all.

Then the atheist zealot is every bit as bad as the Christian zealot, two sides of the same coin. Don't complain about a problem when you are part of it. (Not you as in you personally, a general you)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

The atheist guy got to speak because someone gave up their "chair".

Otherwise he was never allowed to speak. It is "by rule" he must invoke a higher power.

But, its all his fault he didn't bring people together.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Do you know?

What is above and below?

And then admitted what you were left with sounded ridiculous and was something you did not believe at all .. yeah, I remember that part. It's what I keep referring to.

I still don't know what you're talking about.

I think you have your own conversation going on in your head.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Meh, atheist zealots don't try to create laws based on the 10 commandments or any other religious works. Zealots of any kind are a problem, but government & God should never have anything to do with each other under any circumstance.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Meh, atheist zealots don't try to create laws based on the 10 commandments or any other religious works. Zealots of any kind are a problem, but government & God should never have anything to do with each other under any circumstance.

Basing laws on a different form of zealotry is alright?

Although I bet you are perfect fine with "though shalt not murder" from the 10 commandments.

My original point was that he took an opportunity to bring all of us closer and instead chose to use divisive language and prove all the critics right. Atheists should be pissed at him, unless they are so biased themselves they do not care this man took us all a step back.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I just said all zealots are bad. We should be basing laws off of egalitarian concepts & to promote education & the advancement of technology for the betterment of all Americans quality of life, if not all humans.
What do you suggest we base laws off?

I don't need a religious commandment or a "law" to tell me not to murder someone. & I think anyone who does murder someone should be immediately put down via death penalty.

From what I saw in the first few pages of this thread many atheists agree with you & were pissed. I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to when you talk about certain biases, but I personally can't bring myself to care what any long term conditioned sheeple do, atheist or not.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: CB328

Who would an Atheist pray to? An Atheist leading an invocation perhaps, but prayer? I think it was intended to be a smack in the face to people who believe in God and as such people have a right to be offended. Heck, even if it wasn't intended to be an outright mockery of Theists people have a right to be offended. It's America, damnit.

Prayer for an atheist is more about self resolve. In this case, the person was addressing his coworkers and saying that many people have diverse beliefs, rather than rely on them to give us the strength to do what we're here to do, lets rely on ourselves to do it.

I honestly don't see where the offense is in that.

I find it offensive when a man believes HE is greater than God. I don't want to be around or involve myself with that kind of egotistical, arrogance.

I find it troubling that so many grown people still honestly belive they need the imaginary threat of a magical skydaddy turning them away from a fairytale afterlife to keep themselves from turning into barbarians.
edit on 6-3-2016 by LordSnow21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

I would consider that a good prayer. Whether he invokes the name of God or not, his heart seems to be in the right place.

"When our wagon gets stuck in the mud, God is much more likely to assist the man who gets out to push than the man who merely raises his voice in prayer—no matter how eloquent the oration."
-- Dieter F. Uchtdorf

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
PSO: Posted this in a duplicate thread to this one, that will likely be closed, so decided to add my thoughts to this one.

What a bunch of religious hypocrites! Proselytizing? What are they doing by forcing those who don't believe their fairy tales to sit through their invocation every session? What if the atheists/non religious are offended by their prayers/proselytizing? Then what? Nothing. That's what. Because Christians are a privileged class in this country, and it has been allowed to continue for WAY too long.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
PSO: Posted this in a duplicate thread to this one, that will likely be closed, so decided to add my thoughts to this one.

What a bunch of religious hypocrites! Proselytizing? What are they doing by forcing those who don't believe their fairy tales to sit through their invocation every session? What if the atheists/non religious are offended by their prayers/proselytizing? Then what? Nothing. That's what. Because Christians are a privileged class in this country, and it has been allowed to continue for WAY too long.

Yes, this has gone on too long.

Hopefully, the attention this has gotten will bring action against these Christian politicians.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Never in my life have I seen moral codes or belief systems referred to as a higher power. That's a new one for me.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join