It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Start substituting Bread Crumbs with Rolled Oats!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
That's right, it may sound a bit odd, but it is well worth it!

I, of course, am referring to cooking with bread crumbs.

I was searching up healthier ways to make some common (at least around this table) food items, and I stumbled upon a few Meat Ball recipes that I'm going to be trying out. All of which had substituted Bread Crumbs with Rolled Oats.

The article that I'm referring to is this one from the bodybuilding.com website on '5 diet friendly meatball recipes', and I am very surprised with their respective nutritional sheets.

Here's their Italian Chicken Meatballs, boasting a lean

Calories 106
Total Fat 2 g
Protein 15 g

Per meatball!

Compare this to the recipe we usually make (using lean beef)

Calories287
Total Fat 21 g
Protein 17 g

Per meatball!

Anyway, I got curious and wanted to see what the differences between the rolled oats and bread crumbs would be. Here's what I found:

The difference is massive in some key areas, the biggest obviously being the salt content. So, if you like your current meatball recipe, consider swapping out the bread crumbs with Rolled Oats!

~ Use a little extra rolled oats when subbing for bread crumbs. For example if a recipe calls for 1 cup bread crumbs, replace it with about 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
~ Grind your rolled oats using a food processor or blender with a milling blade, to mimic the texture of bread crumbs. I don’t always do this but I need a lot less oats when I do

~ Season your ground rolled oats with dry seasoning like garlic powder, thyme, black pepper etc. to add some extra flavour. You can also add the seasonings before grinding the oats
~ Store for up to 6 months in an airtight container

If you want to learn even more about them, head Here

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Use a little extra rolled oats when subbing for bread crumbs.

That's a great tip.
My Wife has a gluten allergy so I make Meatloaf with Quaker Oats quite often.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
We have organic rolled oats, organic rolled barley, and organic rolled Rye flakes

Around twelve pounds of each. Barley increases the flavor of things it is cooked with. It seems to make sugar more intense.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I've been doing this. Meatballs, meatloaf, salmon patties, hamburgers

I didn't realize before, all the salt I've saved myself from...

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I use breadcrumbs a lot. (burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, breaded chicken, breaded pork etc)

I literally make my own with bread that;'s just out of date.

Are the figures you've got for shop brought breadcrumbs (pre-made) or homemade breadcrumbs?

Just curious

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

I use breadcrumbs a lot. (burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, breaded chicken, breaded pork etc)

I literally make my own with bread that;'s just out of date.

Are the figures you've got for shop brought breadcrumbs (pre-made) or homemade breadcrumbs?

Just curious

These aren't my figures, they're from the link I provided. However, it doesn't specify.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Ah ok. Didn't check out the link.

I will have to try the rolled oats out though. Haven't tried it before.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Another great use for rolled outs.

Those guys out there who need Weight Gainers to help with your work-outs/bodybuilding:

Make your own!!!!
Far healthier, far less of an insulin spike.

MOST Commercial weight gainers are loaded with maltodextrin....a notorious insulin spiker carb.

Grind the oats to a powder, add whey protein and a banana or some peanut butter....and whatever else to get your calorie range....and you're all set.
nutrition data here
nutritiondata.self.com...

new topics

top topics

join