It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banned members and deleted posts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Ummm...these questions are posed to Skeptic Overlord...

1. When a member is banned the threads and posts are no longer viewable to ATS members...Do they still remain in the archives...or are they scrubbed from the servers...?

2. When a member's thread is 404'ed what happens to the thread...is it scrubbed from the servers as well...or is it accessible to staff and ownership...?

3. Member generated content is the ownership of the author even though the author shares exclusivity with ATS...what becomes of the authored content when a member is either banned or their thread is 404'ed...Does ATS retain copies of these...and does ATS still retain exclusivity even after an author no longer has access to their work on the site...?

4. If a member has no access to his authored content...and providing such was generated within ATS...such as this OP...(not using any third party processing such as pages or word etc.)...is the content available to the author even after either post or membership banning...?

Please inform me of the rules/laws pertaining to the above...

Thank you

YouSir

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...these questions are posed to Skeptic Overlord...

1. When a member is banned the threads and posts are no longer viewable to ATS members...Do they still remain in the archives...or are they scrubbed from the servers...?

2. When a member's thread is 404'ed what happens to the thread...is it scrubbed from the servers as well...or is it accessible to staff and ownership...?

3. Member generated content is the ownership of the author even though the author shares exclusivity with ATS...what becomes of the authored content when a member is either banned or their thread is 404'ed...Does ATS retain copies of these...and does ATS still retain exclusivity even after an author no longer has access to their work on the site...?

4. If a member has no access to his authored content...and providing such was generated within ATS...such as this OP...(not using any third party processing such as pages or word etc.)...is the content available to the author even after either post or membership banning...?

Please inform me of the rules/laws pertaining to the above...

Thank you

YouSir

If you have some clue of any post it can be retrieved from google cache.

Posters on ATS have no claim to the post.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Ummm...what you have just stated runs counter to the exclusivity clause...your claim effectively gives exclusive use to the
site owners...therefore voiding their right to such material...

Posters on ATS are the author of their content posted to the site...at no time do they surrender their ownership of their authored material...This is a member generated site...the owners merely provide the platform and moderating component's
and therefore merely "partner" with the author...

Sharing exclusivity does not equate giving ATS exclusive rights to an authors work...hence my questions...

YouSir
edit on 4-3-2016 by YouSir because: I just hadsta...

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I believe all of your concerns are addressed in the Terms And Conditions of which you were supposed to read and accept as a prerequisite to joining...www.abovetopsecret.com... If I were you I would take the time to read them.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: forthelove

Ummm...YAWN...I have read them...frankly they're unclear on the questions I posed...IMO...hence the questions...

I certainly appreciate your attempt to answer the questions I posed to the site owner however...

Thank you

YouSir
edit on 4-3-2016 by YouSir because: just freaking because...

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

They are still viewable. Example www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This didn't answer it for you? (from the T & C)

17) Rights In Posted Materials: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyrights to any materials you Post and furthermore, you grant TAN non-exclusive, non-revocable worldwide, royalty-free rights to copy, distribute, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works, and publicly perform the materials in perpetuity in all forms. This license applies to all works of authorship including, but not limited to, written materials (e.g., text), audio, audio-visual materials, graphics, and images (including, but not limited to, graphics and images used as avatars). You also grant all third parties the right to copy, distribute, display, reproduces, and publicly perform the materials you post under the terms of the Creative Commons License. TAN has the authority to decide to display your postings or not, and you grant TAN the right to modify your posts, remove offensive material, modify your post title to accurately reflect content, remove vulgar comments, remove insults, or delete any other content deemed inappropriate, all at our discretion.

TAN reserves the right to eliminate or edit any content deemed inappropriate for the discussion boards, news network or any affiliated sites.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Ummm...thank you for that piece of the puzzle...I didn't realize that member had been canned...

now on to my other questions...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Ummm...no...none of that addresses the usage of an authors work once they have been banned...nor does it address a 404'ed OP or a 404'd post...

I.E...where do these posts go...and does ATS have rights to work that was subsequently removed...at the whim of the mood and temperament of whomever happens to be moderating on any given day...

YouSir
edit on 4-3-2016 by YouSir because: it was a capital idea...

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
You could just message a mod man. This whole thing is better solved by just asking one. If you go to the Forums home page you can see who is online. (left)

Find a mod, send him a message, and your answers will just come to you. How does that sound?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Says right there by posting you agree what y o u write belongs to the above network (TAN).
Banned or not 404d or archived it's all theirs.

Perpetuity: For ever and ever and ever.

edit on 342016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Ummm...is this the board business and questions forum...or is this tadaman's unasked opinion page...

Do I have your permission to ask these board and business questions...in the board and business forum...?

Thank you...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

ummm, have fun.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Ummm...that is until you get to the part on exclusivity...which merely states that ATS...SHARES...an authors work...through the author relinquishing exclusive usage...therefore if an authors work is post banned...404'ed etc...what happens to the material and how does that affect the rights of the author...

Not a lawyer...just want to find out the facts...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

No...they retain rights to your POST and whats in it. What is yours is still yours...like one of my copyrighted songs or videos I own. Still mine....but the POSTING and construction of it here...is theirs to use. Which is fine.

MS

Copyright Holder

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...that is until you get to the part on exclusivity...which merely states that ATS...SHARES...an authors work...through the author relinquishing exclusive usage...therefore if an authors work is post banned...404'ed etc...what happens to the material and how does that affect the rights of the author...

Not a lawyer...just want to find out the facts...

YouSir

This isn't terribly complicated legal jargon. If a post is 404'ed it has no bearing on the right of the author to post it elsewhere, but it was still posted and the rules set out in the T&C still apply.

Why don't you just spit out what it is you're getting at or what beef you have? The wording isn't cryptic or convoluted. Once you post something ATS has the same right to it you do.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
are you enjoying a meal? or it that some kind of type-impediment ?

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Do you really have to start every post with UMMMM...

Every time I see you UMMMMMM....

edit on 5-3-2016 by TheAmazingYeti because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2016 by TheAmazingYeti because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAmazingYeti
Do you really have to start every post with UMMMM...

Every time I see you UMMMMMM....

It is indeed very odd isn't it.
It also doesn't seem to understand the existence of full stops or commas.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Ummmmm every post continues to exist whether it's out front or removed from public view (trashed). When a member is banned, their threads and posts are accessible by clicking their name. Threads that are removed are done for reasons that are transparent to the authors of said threads - PM exchanges are standard.

The T&Cs contain more elaborate details.

Questions answered and thread closed

top topics

join