It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bringing the meat and potatoes back to life at ATS. A brainstorming session...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Whats really wrong with this site is that there are far too many
re-hashed main stream News stories.

I can read most of what’s posted here on the MSN, It used to be about
discussing far out ideas... or fringe science etc.. and the truly weird.

Nowadays people get hounded if they post anything that’s weird or
different..

IMHO.. most people here don't belong in a conspiracy forum.. they should be on the
news forums.. cause that’s mostly what gets posted main stream news and politics..

Alien UFO forum is all but dead.. and that’s just evolution.. The hunt for UFO proof lead
me here a few years ago.. Now I'm a sceptic because of ATS.. and so it is for many of us.

The proof never happened.. it has become fairly obvious that we are not being visited.. nothing
definite you understand ,just not likely on the evidence available.

There are still millions of weird things that could get posted and discussed.. but instead we
get countless Trump threads and every thing in between.

If you want to get back to "meat and potatoes".. then all this main stream stuff needs to get binned.

Just my 2 cents
edit on Fri, 04 Mar 2016 18:16:15 -0600166America/ChicagoFriday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

While I agree with some of your sentiments here, I suppose we need to work within the current paradigm we have. Binning all the current events stuff and the like that is labeled "mainstream" or "political and whatnot is not going to happen, so we have to think of some others ideas that will make this place better for those that come for that stuff. After all, current events has got to be one of their money makers here, it brings in a crowd.

The problems are basically things we have to ignore, threads we must discipline ourselves not to engage. (I have a problem with that as well...lol)
People being shouted down or made to feel stupid should not be happening, though sometimes I think it's just people complaining because their idea is met with criticism. There's a fine line there, debating a person when both are seeking the "meat and potatoes" of a thing. Maybe we should all be more mindful we don't use this platform to cross the line and start ridiculing people for their thoughts/beliefs. Honestly, I've never had that problem in the mysterious topics arena, only in some of the current events garbage that I often get too wrapped up in, here and abound.

...so,
Having it sectioned off like mirage so finely illustrated gives users the option to see some content they're not generally used to seeing on the "recent" and "new" list, or the home page (which seems to be were a lot go when they first get here)...

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I agree that it would be wonderful to see some of the more interesting threads from the past get a resurgence and more look-sees, but sadly, with the current climate, it would butcher the more intelligent discussion by burying it with more bickering, trolling and smartassery from the collective hive mind du jour. Interesting; I was just thinking the same thing. It would be the same as letting a group of first graders run unattended, at a museum's ancient crystal and pottery exhibit.

I think it brings up a good point, but I think one solution is the one mentioned in the exchange between TEOTWAWKIAIFF and I. The older posts would be condensed under the OP and then an ATS banner or something, and then the newer, fresh comments. If one chooses, one could expand the "old posts" or condense the new and only see the old. An option for either would be cool.
I think a lot of the things you mention (ex...trolling, bickering, smartassery etc etc) would be minimized because those that would seek to read the older threads wouldn't really be the same crowd (maybe in part, but not all) as those that are always the "I wanna be first, let's ridicule or troll for kicks" aren't really going to see much value in the older threads that require a lot more reading and studying. Maybe I'm wrong.

It's not the "change" that bothers me (and I assume others as well, some of them anyways). I enjoy the change, embrace it, move on. That is precisely what we are talking about here though...change. Change from the same ole same, allowing it to "go down the tubes" (more of what you speak of with the trolling and such, and less real content) let's find some ways to improve it by changing some things up.
As far as I know, ATS has never done anything like what we are speaking of here (again, I could be wrong. On that one, I don't think so though) It would indeed take some work, I'm aware of that. But it could bring a whole new level of interactivity here, if some of the ideals in this thread we implemented and utilized in creating a place for "best of"...maybe even "best of the past" and "best of" monthly and yearly or whatnot.

So...rather than be ok with "letting her sink" just because "she" isn't mine, I'm trying to chuck some water out of the boat here.
With me yet?
*(Annnnndddd....that was my little sales pitch. I'm not a salesman, but what the hey, might as well roll with it. Vested this much time in already and the ideals here are far beyond what I could have thought of on my own, in their entirety)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
What if they just removed the fluff? Stuff like oh I don't know all of the BTS crap like cats, food, automobiles, and so forth. I mean I understand people may want to discuss those things but is it worth the extra cost? How come there is no talk of cutting down ? I would think if cost were an issue this would come up. Seems to me you had an influx of traffic that you cant pay for at ATS so perhaps the fault lies with opening things up to that type of chit-chat traffic.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The most attractive part of ATS for me was always the serious discussions of things not always taken seriously. That being said, taboo dinner party topics like politics and religion always find a home on forums. When you have an eclectic assembly such as this things will be discussed. I was surprised however by the rabid party rhetoric. You cant express an opinion here without automatically being branded and attacked because of the label someone just slapped on you. That has to stop or no amount of interesting topics will bring quality members here or keep them once they arrive.

When people can post, on any topic, without fear of responses like, "only a right wing nutter would be dumb enough to fall for that, spoken like a true racist homophobe, etc." will any forum really excel. Post what you want knowing that some people will agree with you, some will not, some will think you are crazy, and some will admire your insight. People are free to see it as they choose. It is when those opinions are typed with malicious intent that any chance of meaningful discussion is lost. The idea here is to advance through shared knowledge and experience, not attack anyone who disagrees with you or your agenda.

There is a lot of great information in threads gone by. I would suggest something along the lines of, "Ten years ago today the top threads were: ... And update daily. The top threads from the past would be cycled through on a daily basis. Or maybe the top couple of threads from ten, five, and one year ago. Actually, I like that better now that I think about it.

Comments?
edit on 4-3-2016 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta
What if they just removed the fluff? Stuff like oh I don't know all of the BTS crap like cats, food, automobiles, and so forth. I mean I understand people may want to discuss those things but is it worth the extra cost? How come there is no talk of cutting down ? I would think if cost were an issue this would come up. Seems to me you had an influx of traffic that you cant pay for at ATS so perhaps the fault lies with opening things up to that type of chit-chat traffic.

Seems to me it would be more logical to cut costs in the image storage area. Why do we need individual storage when there are plenty of hosting sites out there already? I have one, if they dumped our image storage & restricted it to one avatar's worth of size at a time for uploaded storage, I think I could be persuaded to actually remember I have an account on Photobucket to use. I'd wager that removing this would save a whole lot more money than removing BTS would.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: rigel4
Whats really wrong with this site is that there are far too many
re-hashed main stream News stories.I can read most of what’s posted here on the MSN, It used to be about
discussing far out ideas... or fringe science etc.. and the truly weird.

You would be surprised who looks at this website for mainstream information. Lets forget the New York Times or the Washington Post. There are people that rely upon this website for breaking news as one would do with Drudge. A One Stop Shop information experience.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Probably. I am not a web designer but you are hitting around the right area. With BTS I was just noting that it is basically fluff. Its not what brings people to ATS. Why should we pay when other measures have (yet) to be mentioned or explored. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that perhaps this is going on behind the scenes. I was just throwing it to be considered.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

Probably. I am not a web designer but you are hitting around the right area. With BTS I was just noting that it is basically fluff. Its not what brings people to ATS. Why should we pay when other measures have (yet) to be mentioned or explored. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that perhaps this is going on behind the scenes. I was just throwing it to be considered.

You can revolt by resigning your membership (now a non participant) or fall upon your failed scabbard sword.
edit on 4-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Everything old is new again.....I remember, before one of the code change-overs, that ATS had a section where you could click on the most viewed threads of all time, the last week, or last thirty days. There were other classifications if I recall, but much of it was based on the most flagged, the most replies, etc. Is this list still around and I've just missed it, or, like kindness and all-togetherness on reality shows, did it go the way of the Dodo?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

There are much better methods of revolt if one were so inclined besides self harm. They seem to be working quite well as evidenced by this thread and others.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

a reply to: vethumanbeing

There are much better methods of revolt if one were so inclined besides self harm. They seem to be working quite well as evidenced by this thread and others.

Correct; one could just look in a mirror and ask "who am I looking at" and receive no answer from the viewer/observer/REFLECTION. I would not trash the threads engendering these ideas; they are just fleshing out specific ideas is all (free form funsterisms).
edit on 4-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I guess the owners could compile material of their choice and publish an ATS book for general sale.That should get the general public's attention and bring in money and many more members.Maybe they can consult with members as to the content if they wish to.According to the T+C our posts and threads belong to them as well as to us.

Don't crucify me,i am a solutions-orientated type of person so this popped into my mind.Just a suggestion to take or leave.
edit on 5-3-2016 by Raxoxane because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Shamelessly reviving this thread so that others that are interested may see it.

Thanks for the contribution thus far!

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

Yeah, I agree, we really need to bring back the epic threads and I have just now found that our archives have not archived all the threads. So we cannot use it to find them. For example, Antar had some classic threads and when I went back by month and year in the archive they were not there.

So, knowing Antar's name I checked her profile and found the thread that way but I was curious as to why it wasn't in the archives so I searched by exact dates. First I went by the date of the initial post, nada. Then searched via the date of the last post, nada. The archives are a joke. In many cases the archives only show a partial list of the month's threads.

They can only be found if you remember the OP's name and go to their profile page, or run a search on their name, or if you remember the exact name of the thread. So please do not use the "Archives" to compile a list, as they are incomplete.

STM

edit on 6-3-2016 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I belive the main problum with ATS is that the members have no power, we cannot vote with our feet as we cant "leave" ATS. This means that the MODs have no incentive to do high class work which in turn leads to a very one sided opinated MOD actions. Sadly this also leads to the forming of groups or gangs with in ATS that very quickly distroys the content and reduces freedom of speach.If the owners want to improve ATS give the members some power, give us the right to leave ATS this would mean the MODs would need to work for there money and improve ATS,all I see now is the owners finding more and more ways of getting money out of the members without giving anything in return. And before anyone says it, this is not a free form, we are sold in every way possible that the owners can think of to make them money.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane
I guess the owners could compile material of their choice and publish an ATS book for general sale.That should get the general public's attention and bring in money and many more members.Maybe they can consult with members as to the content if they wish to.According to the T+C our posts and threads belong to them as well as to us.

Don't crucify me,i am a solutions-orientated type of person so this popped into my mind.Just a suggestion to take or leave.

We worked out a while ago that if you were to print and bind ATS in it's entirety the book would be getting on for 19 miles thick.

Some serious editing would be in order.

Link to thread.
edit on 7/3/2016 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I'm chiming in to say 'thanks' to Jakal26 for posting this thread - he's a far better writer than I am.

At this stage it feels like ATS management would need to have an opinion on our thoughts (or not), but I think there's great ideas in here already. I know SEO and Google crawlers do a good job exposing those outstanding threads - all of them except maybe the Gray Areas since I'm not sure how folks would search out personal stories and such - but I think advertising on those based on certain keywords could be useful. Also, a smart method to expose a killer thread maybe once weekly prominently on the home page would be great, with maybe a summary of the past information as a break point before new postings are allowed. Something.

The one thing I know for certain is that adage - everything old is new again. The ATS library is gold, and is relevant today as it was during its creation. Some of the future of ATS, IMHO, lies in exposing that library to the interested masses.

That's all I got. Thanks again, Jakal26 for posting on my behalf and running with it.
(I even opened my laptop after a month of avoiding it).

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: Raxoxane

We worked out a while ago that if you were to print and bind ATS in it's entirety the book would be getting on for 19 miles thick. Some serious editing would be in order.

You have the ability to share the virtual 19 miles thick unbound book with Facebook, Twitter and Emergency Services. Why edit unless you bind it (I would suggest infinite volumes so as not too physically cumbersome to handle).
edit on 7-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join