It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Bringing the meat and potatoes back to life at ATS. A brainstorming session...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:50 PM
I'm sure everyone is getting a bit tired of the discussion about ads and subscriptions and the like at the moment, so I'd rather we leave that out of this discussion if we can, but this is in regards to bringing revenue and new users to the site (and maybe bringing back around some of those that no longer post here because of how they perceive the current environment around here....opinions vary, obviously)

So, that's out the way...let's just right down to it.

In this thread one of our fellow members brought up a terrific idea that might just bring in some new readers and contribution to the site. I, for one, found this to be a wonderful idea and in a bit of discussion with Jason88 I asked him to start a thread on this but being mobile...well, we all know how that is, so after I was given permission to run with this, I figured I'd go ahead and get this out there so maybe some of us can brainstorm a bit about it and come up with some ideals that may or may not result in bringing some people around the boards....

Here was his idea...

I believe their most important asset is the vast library that has been collected over the years. If there was some way to bring that library with those top threads front and center I believe it could reinvigorate the site and get the quality writers/researchers back here en mass.

So, it's really that simple. A really neat idea in my opinion, and I am sure others might agree.
Perhaps a forum specifically for this?

Now, how we go about this would be the question. Obviously (for those of us that do a lot of reading here) some of the best threads ever authored here are not the threads with the most flags/stars. Some were buried quickly, some thrived. Maybe we could have some kind of voting system where each week we vote for a thread we'd like to see featured in this "best of ATS" (or whatever name) forum? Maybe members could add their favorite threads there? I don't know, really...and am just throwing out a few ideas here. I will PM Jason88 and let him know this thread is up and maybe he can chime in as well as others who think this might be a good idea to reinvigorate the site. Like I told him, it was those past, in depth threads that brought me here many years ago, and it is those rare gems that are still to be found to this day that keep me here. ATS has the best researchers and discussions that I know of (regarding "conspiracy subjects") on the net. I cannot imagine it being no more and would really miss it if that was the case. Even today with all the bickering and arguing here, there is still so much to be found here and I think bringing back some of those awesome threads to the forefront might remind some members who have become jaded a bit along the way to reconsider and perhaps contribute once again.

I know it would definitely bring in some new members that are "on the fence", so to speak, about joining right now. A lot of times all they see are essentially current headlines and political garbage and think this site is no much different from others. Perhaps showing them the real meat and potatoes of ATS will finally make up their minds' to come and join us here. So many of those old threads (and newer gems as well, as I mentioned) could still do well to have some more input added, especially the ones that, unfortunately, were posted at bad times and/or were buried under the weight of other things that were happening at that time. Heck, it might even get some to dig back through some of that stuff, learning things they never knew. And that's what this place is all about, aye? Learning and, at times, being entertained?

Ok....I'm running out of things to say here.
What say you, ATS?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 03:24 PM
a reply to: Jakal26

I think that's a great idea.

I have been around for a bit but now that you mention it, I don't look past my join date very often....and I'm sure there are a lot of gems there. The more I think about it the more I want to go delving...thanks for bringing this up I got some nights of information ahead I'm thinking

And I totally agree about the cyclical nature as a fan of new topics(I read them all). I love to forecast as a hobby as well as a job function.

Hopefully the idea will take traction.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 03:43 PM
I am not sure how many check out the Archive at all.

Under the "Top" topics menu you (ATS) have space after the "Newest posts" area free to use (I am viewing in desktop mode, sorry mobile users). I don't like the "throw back Thursday" idea I believe the OP floated either... Classic ATS?

The main problem I see is resurrecting old threads without (possible) OP involvement. This seems to be the biggest issue with us just adding our witty/stupid/lame/smart/well-thought-out posts glommed onto the end.

Maybe a "Best of ATS Discussion thread" (or whatever the name will be). That way us noobs can take part in a discussion that has already been had without derailing the original intent. You know, like a book report where we (noobs) do not have to mess up the original by adding our own half-thought out ideas?

Maybe also add some T&C around the topic as well. Like, "Read the OP thread first and a couple more pages before posting a comment" since that seems like that is post that always comes around: Did you read the OP??

It seems like a good way to practice linking too! "quote classic thread" with new POST as a response.

I like the idea but it needs a little more thought process.

Or am I way off base?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:03 PM
Lots of great ideas here! How 'bout creating a new forum, I propose "Back In Time Threads" or something similar? And I hope y'all don't go by flag count to search for them, way back then on ATS flags weren't given.

edit on 4-3-2016 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:13 PM
I like this idea. May bring up problems with certain old time no longer member, members. But I think it's fantastic.

Heres what I propose.

The moderators that have responsibility for certain threads. Go through the forum's threads and picks what he thinks are oldies and goodies, classics, gems, or just damned right really well researched or put together.

Then those get put into a best of sub section or something similar. Randomly a thread will be chosen by the computer or whatever to be on the top or forefront of the ats homepage where they show hot threads to get "walk in" traffic to stick around. Enhance the window shopping experience so to speak.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:13 PM

I dont get what everyone is always going on about.

I think you are all too hyper critical of ATS.

Just stop blocking ads.

The site hasnt changed much since 2007. Design sure, content? Nope.

I dont even know what people are talking about when they say "members left". They probably signed on under different accounts and stopped making threads.

I know that after a couple years of pumping them out I am a little tired.

Also, screw them, They left. We have to act like they are the reason we are here? Not me.

I just dont get it. What is the problem that is any different than when you joined?

I can tell you right now that the content is not different. There are busy years and not. Sometimes there is just nothing really cool to talk about, unless we want to just re-hatch what MSM is talking about, as if that keeps us relevant.

As far as the "members who left" nonsense, Really people miss their friends and are being loyal, trying to make them more important than they are.

THEY were made here. They came to this site and others like it like the rest of us. What they learned and made them awesome contributors, they learned in part HERE on ATS.

So what ever. This is new though and its getting annoying...... The whole ATS is not what it used to be crap.

It is still the best conspiracy site and one of the best general discussion forums. You just dont know how good you got it.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:14 PM

Like you, I'm not sure how many actually dig into the archives either. I do, occasionally, but I'm a "news junkie" and tend to stay with the topics that are being discussed real time or the new stuff. Weekends are usually slow on "new" news, so that is generally when I dig into attempting to find a gem or two in the time machine.

The main problem I see is resurrecting old threads without (possible) OP involvement. This seems to be the biggest issue with us just adding our witty/stupid/lame/smart/well-thought-out posts glommed onto the end.

Well, that already happens when newer members come along and go into an old thread and post something without realizing it's an aged thread. But you do raise a good point.
Perhaps the thread could be "sectioned off"....a sort of before and after deal. Of course, one merely need to check the post dates at the top of every single post to accomplish that already, but it is a good point.

I like the idea but it needs a little more thought process. Or am I way off base?

No, you're not way off base.
The intention of this thread is to brainstorm and put some more thought into a sort of spur of the moment idea that another member had. That is all...

Thanks for the response.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:15 PM

Honestly, if you want to bring the site back to how it was, shift it away from politics. There doesn't need to be an entire top row of forums dedicated to them, and then another political forum in every single forum group. That is what has ruined ATS, it got away from interesting subjects and became a political echo chamber which has resulted in far less real content being generated or seen.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:15 PM
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I like it! I'd give you a million stars if I could.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:20 PM
a reply to: tadaman

What the hell are you on about?

I thought I said leave that bs out of this conversation? W..T...H...?

I am not those you speak of, speaking some romanticized tales of the past and how "awesome" it was.
I'm simply a messenger for a member who was mobile and didn't want to start this thread himself. The idea is about bringing in new members....and, potentially bringing back some that left or that aren't posting like they used to because the discussions are not the same as they once were (you cannot deny that, for the most part)

This thread is about a potential forum or place we can bring back to life some of the older posts that everyone loved (or hated)....the kind of meat and potatoes that brought a lot of us here many moons ago. That is all. Not about ads, or ad block or any of that. Hell, I don't even see ads due to my post history, so....

You just dont know how good you got it.

Again, this isn't about me, nor those whining now. Perhaps you should take a look at some of my posts in those other threads before assuming stuff about me, man.
And.....I've been here a lot longer than this profile has been in existence. A lot longer. So, again, stop with the assumptions.

....Now, having said that, do you have anything to offer in response to the actual OP and the idea presented?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:22 PM
I don't mind the ads....however I would LOVE the option to block anything to do with politics.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:23 PM

I like that idea...

Thanks for contributing to this thread.

That's kind of what I was going with, personally. Though, I cannot speak for Jason88 (again, it is his idea, I'm just the messenger)...A forum (perhaps) dedicated to such, with some way for the best threads to be brought into it and highlighted here so those not familiar with them see them. I like the randomly generated weekly (or whenever) idea, that's better than what I said about voting on it and whatnot.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:24 PM
a reply to: Aazadan

I agree...but that isn't going to happen. So, here we are.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:24 PM

Wow, yeah I understand that, but honestly that is my opinion.

ATS is doing fine. I actually like the idea BTW.

Now I say WTH.

Also, I first joined in 2007 after lurking for a year or two. I also am not talking out of my ass.

edit on 3 4 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:26 PM
a reply to: seentoomuch

And I hope y'all don't go by flag count to search for them, way back then on ATS flags weren't given.

If it's done solely on flag count, there are going to be some real gems missed. There has got to be a better way.
I like the forum name you propose as well. That or something similar would work well, I think.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:28 PM
a reply to: tadaman

LOL....your opinion and mine line up in more ways than I will elaborate on in this thread.
It's just not the time or place and I don't want it derailed with all that. Thanks in advance.

I actually like the idea BTW.

Thank you for the contribution to the actual content

And, "relax"? Dude, I'm never freakin relaxed. Sorry, I'm a bit nerve racked these days. I think my younger days of "fast lane" living have finally caught up with me.......or I'm dying (faster than normal) which is probably what it really is.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:29 PM
a reply to: Treespeaker

Thank you for contributing to the thread and for the support.
I'm glad everyone is seemingly liking this idea so far.

Way to go, Jason88. It is an awesome idea in the eyes of many of us!

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:30 PM

I understand that my man. Its cool.

On a side note I have entertained the thought before. I forget where the hell I posted it BUT, If you notice the traffic, we get allot of schools and such. ATS is an academic resource. It should market itself as such (some where).

The archives just need to get a little work over to make them navigable for specific subjects. I know I have helped people with homework using ATS, others must have used it for assignments. LIKE: Rome, the Reagan years, Eastern Europe during WW2, and so on. The material is already there.

Have a good one.
Hold it down.

edit on 3 4 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:31 PM
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

You already have that option.
It's called ignore the political threads and move the hell on. works, sorta like changing a tv channel when you don't like what is on.

(And, I'm being silly here, not an asshole. So, don't get all mad at me)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:37 PM

originally posted by: seentoomuch

I like it! I'd give you a million stars if I could.

Also here's something else to entice the members into contributing good content. Hold contests in each forum once a month, twice a year, I dunno let the staff decide how often, where the best recently created thread of the month gets into a competition to basically be a nominee for the coveted "moved to the best of the best sub forum award."

If your thread wins it gets included in the "BoB" forum. Also you get a little title in your signature or some other marker to show you are a recipient of the "best of the best" award. Maybe even have lesser medals or signature items that denote you are a nominee. It would be fun for the members to log on one day only to see that their signatures been changed and it has a little "nominee" symbol. You also get to keep the "nominee" symbols and they are cumulative. Like the stars are.

The members can even be allowed to contribute by having a semi annual "ATS voting day" a few times a year where they vote on which nominated threads win. it will encourage more membership participation. Get maybe some of the lurkers to come out of the shadows for a day. And get members to read threads in forums they normally wouldn't because now they get to vote on them, perhaps expanding their interests and general readership of the site.

That way members can try their best to put together fascinating and compelling threads to hopefully make it into the best of the best sub- forum. Plus it gives the site a little more kick and makes it feel more community minded and inclusive. It makes the members feel empowered a small degree. Could entice new members to join up, saying "hey this is a neat sight. It takes the concept of user generated content to a whole new level. I'm joining!"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>