It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Decay of Ancient Civilization

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   
if this doesn't make sense to you then bear with me or stop reading

All ancient civilizations were heavily routed in spirituality/religion, magiv and other phenomena abound like it was a daily thing. Now, obviously, we live in a world based on materialism where things of a spiritual nature do not entice us as they would have in the past(why look for true happiness when an easily accessible path is thrown in your face day by day?) My theory is, magic is still around us, but due to the last few hundred years of science, money, and ownership our connection to that primal thread of our existence has been shredded, leaving it impossible for us to return to a way of life that may have very well been intended for our existence. Anywho, I'm not really sure the point of this, it was just a little rant I felt I needed to get off my chest, but what do you do when you know something is missing from life but you can't seem to find a way to do it surrounded by all of the superficial evils society has force-fed you?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Well... there's a few points you might want to consider -- the first being that the civilizations all died out from natural catastrophes (extended droughts that forced them to move or starve, etc) or conquest or both. Their religions (or lack thereof) did provide a prop for their civilization, but in most cases what religion did was to ensure that the ruling class stayed ruling class and eeryone else stayed put.

There was a lot of fraud in the ancient religions (and yes, in Christianity of the time as well) with artificial miracles and so forth. The ancients were not more "respectful" of the Earth; as any archaeologist can tell you, wherever you got a bunch of humans together in ANY time, they managed to pollute up the area and leave their trash lying all around the place. This is bad for the Earth but good for archaeologists, since we can find all sorts of goodies that they tossed away.

No, we're not in tune with the sun and stars as we used to be -- the reason for this is that we've got clocks and watches and calendars.

The "noble ancient" is a popular myth. If you could actually go back and MEET the people of the time and see how they lived, you'd be absolutly horrified at how Earth-unfriendly it was.

It only LOOKS Earth-friendly because they packed up and moved every few years.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
So basically modern society is lacking because it has exchanged superstition for science?

I wouldn't say that thats even happened in large part, just look at what goes on on this board. An earthquake in primitive greece was because of poseidon, striking the seabed with his trident. Today, its the result of a super secret government plan. Not much concern for naturalism or sciencereally.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
The "noble ancient" is a popular myth. If you could actually go back and MEET the people of the time and see how they lived, you'd be absolutly horrified at how Earth-unfriendly it was.

It only LOOKS Earth-friendly because they packed up and moved every few years.

Reminds me of merry old England, dumping thier disgusting leftovers onto the sidewalks. I agree though we're pretty much destructive by nature leaving our trail of destruction everywhere we go. The only difference from now and then is that we destroy at much quicker paces.

new topics

top topics

join