It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a point by point demolition of the flat earth claims

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
I do remember a bit of this now. I did some checking on flight times and distance but I think I became distracted by something else and forgot about it.

No matter how they try to portray a flat Earth to scale, huge discrepancies will be glaring.

They can use tricks to deny most of them though. That one can't be accounted for. It's something that can actually be tested as well. There is nothing a pilot can do to deceive you, no games that can be played. There is no explanation and no way to deny it .. other than to close your ears. Anyone can take a 2nd job, save some money, and test it.

It's the same as flying from Sydney to Santiago, same principle. Anyone can test this, flat Earth has no response.

edit on 6-3-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

It's the same as flying from Argentina to Australia, same principle. Anyone can test this, flat Earth has no response.

Yep. I have used Santiago, Chile - Sydney, Australia - Los Angeles to make what I call the Flatter's Triangle. No one has tried to refute it.

You don't have to spend a dime to verify the altitude of Polaris matches your latitude, nor can they claim the "NASA lies" distraction with any of these.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
its sad that such a thread still needs to be created. flat earthers need not even know math or read. they can run to their local electronic shop and purchase a gopro cam and go online to order a weather balloon (500 - 22k USD) and get expandable memory and record what they see from the strat

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   

It's the same as flying from Argentina to Australia, same principle. Anyone can test this, flat Earth has no response.

Yep. I have used Santiago, Chile - Sydney, Australia - Los Angeles to make what I call the Flatter's Triangle. No one has tried to refute it.

You don't have to spend a dime to verify the altitude of Polaris matches your latitude, nor can they claim the "NASA lies" distraction with any of these.

Polaris is not really testable for the ignorant. I saw a thread once where Polaris was used as proof the Earth was flat. That's why I stick with simple and easily tested proofs. They can't do anything to wriggle out of them.

"The stars revolve around the sky dome like in a planetarium, all the fixed stars maintain their relative positions and the constellations follow a 26,000 year procession. This is all movement of the stars, however, NOT a "wobble" from the "ball-Earth." The position of Polaris has been said to move very slightly over long periods of time, but it always remains right above the North Pole and all the other stars revolve around it as seen in star trail time lapses.

Just take a close look at the star trail photos shown in the article. For those to happen on a spinning ball-Earth, the Earth would have to be doing 360 degree loop-de-loops! If the ball-Earth is simply spinning on its axis, star trail photos should show all the stars moving fairly horizontally across the sky. For them to be filmed making perfect circles around Polaris at varying latitudes all over the Earth proves conclusively that it is the stars moving around the fixed Earth, and not the Earth spinning on an axis. Michelson-Morley, Michelson-Gale, Airy, Sagnac and Kantor's experiments also proved it is the stars moving relative to us and not the other way around. Their experiments are not debated or denied anywhere, simply suppressed and ignored."

edit on 6-3-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
That's some sad drivel there. Not only does it contain lies, it doesn't pertain to the shape of the Earth. The altitude of Polaris being virtually the same as one's latitude makes flat Earth impossible. That has never been refuted. Obfuscated perhaps, but never successfully refuted.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

That's some sad drivel there. Not only does it contain lies, it doesn't pertain to the shape of the Earth. The altitude of Polaris being virtually the same as one's latitude makes flat Earth impossible. That has never been refuted. Obfuscated perhaps, but never successfully refuted.

Give them the chance and they will distort anything and lie about the rest ... while probably actually believing it because they are unwilling to learn the truth. That's why I steer clear of those arguments and stick with ones that rely on only a simple testable step.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: cestrupISright

You are pretty bad at physics right ? You know that plane would have to keep falling thing well yeah that happens only the size of the earth makes it a moot point that close to the ground. That exact phenomenon is basically constant falling or zero g astronauts experience in space. Stop being Mr. Meme and so gosh darn smug you are not very intelligent or clever.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: cestrupISright
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

Just watch all the people that will ridicule me because I question heliocentric theory and spherical earth. It's quite hilarious.

My world view is fine. I just felt like chiming in to give this place a break from the crap the OP was trying to shove down their throats.

The reason people ridicule you is because of basic lack of understand and an obvious unwillingness to learn. Maybe you feel cool being uneducated but to the rest of us it comes off as disturbing.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: cestrupISright
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

Just watch all the people that will ridicule me because I question heliocentric theory and spherical earth. It's quite hilarious.

My world view is fine. I just felt like chiming in to give this place a break from the crap the OP was trying to shove down their throats.

Sydney to Santiago, 13 hours.

They ridicule you because it takes all of 5 minutes to disprove flat Earth and you are defending it.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
When you go "West" on the flat Earth map you are not going straight, but rather you are going in a curved circle. So while using the globe map you go "West" .. in the flat Earth map you could actually be going north, east, or south.

All those Antarctic explorers must have had a huge headache about where they should be going!

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
When you go "West" on the flat Earth map you are not going straight, but rather you are going in a curved circle. So while using the globe map you go "West" .. in the flat Earth map you could actually be going north, east, or south.

All those Antarctic explorers must have had a huge headache about where they should be going!

They don't exist it's all part of the conspiracy. Or if some of them did go there what they actually found is suppressed.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Let people believe what they want to believe, as long as those beliefs don't directly harm others. If I really wanted to, I could use the Socratic method to at least challenge even the OP of this thread, but it's not worth the effort. The vast majority of people believe their world-view is the correct one and they are not easily swayed.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

A guy I know is a flat earther and someone on facebook suggested he went on a cheap flight to see for himself that the earth is not flat. No joke this is a copy and paste of his reply....

we see what we believe (or have been led to believe) take an easy jet ride without your filters. the glass windows on planes are curved, so you can't go by what you see. if aeroplane glass windows are concave, then the image you see outside of the window is distorted.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This one just occurred to me, but another argument against the flat earth theory is that the rest of the planets in the Solar System are spherical. You can use a telescope to take pictures over time and see that they are rotating.

www.scientificamerican.com...

So if all those planets are spherical, why on earth (duh!) would the Earth be flat?
edit on 7-3-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
This one just occurred to me, but another argument against the flat earth theory is that the rest of the planets in the Solar System are spherical. You can use a telescope to take pictures over time and see that they are rotating.

www.scientificamerican.com...

So if all those planets are spherical, why on earth (duh!) would the Earth be flat?

Because Earth is special.

Seriously, that would be their explanation. I suppose they could add a religious slant to it, too, by saying Earth was "created" to be a special place for us.

edit on 3/7/2016 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Box of Rain
A disc would be much more easily supported by the elephants. A ball shape would act like a wedge, driving the elephants apart and possibly pushing them right off the turtle. Not good.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

It would be feasible to contunie this thread for some time – rubbing flat earthers noses in the excrement of their own delusion – but – whats the point

got under my skin - and i had 2 choices - this thread or ripping someones head of and shoving it ip thier own arse

Why so violent? it's just someones opinion that is different than yours. Maybe learn from it?... maybe? or not. Why put so

much energy into getting upset over someone's opinion that is different than yours? Do you want a world of people that do,

say think, and are exactly like you?... I hope not because I sure don't!!!

Geezzzzz anyway?!?!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: kreator666

bravo - just amazing - that was the finest rebuttal ever to grace the hallowed pages of ATS

opps wait ............................... you didnt actulay adress anything

you just got prissy over my " atitude " - then projected all your fantasies about what i think and my motives

i dont care what people think - if they insist on believing the earth is flat - fine - but the earth is an oblate spheroid - so flat earther = IDIOT . its that simple

every point i used in my OP is very VERY basic science - which can be tested and verified by almost anyone

now - are you going to address the science or my alledged attitude ?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   
oh - and another thing - on how easy the spheroid model is to demonstrate :

latitude and polaris , redux

i was sorting out my TD [ tech drawing ] kit this morbing - the olf fashioned stuff that everyone had before autocad

and with a protractor in my hand - it hit me

unequivical evidence that latitude lines are equidistant

as you can see from my first round of polaris // latitude

IF the flat earth claim is true - latitude lines CANNOT be equidistant as an azimuth from each does not converge on a single point [ polaris ]

thus in the flat earth model - latitide lines MUST be unequally spaced

now with the simplicity of a map - this can be shown to be utter bollox

you dont need to leave your own country [ in most cases ] to show this

and it can certainly be done from the " saftey " of the CONUS

the measurements from one line of latitude to the line north and south of it [ ie 30n . 35m and 45n ] can easily be shown to both agree with the polaris sighting AND the ground distance between them

flat earth claim utterly fails

get over it

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: Murgatroid

sigh - heres an idea :

...the earth is a spheroid and evolution is true - just get over it

Part of the reason why I do not miss this site.

Unbelievable asshattery on display by supposed intellectuals.

If you were truly so smart then you would be able to explain, even to those you claim are idiots, the true nature of why your assertions you make are true; yet, the reality is you cannot. Spare yourself.

Neil says it is an oblate spheroid, shaped more like a pear. See any photos from NASA that are shaped like a pear?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join