It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a point by point demolition of the flat earth claims

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Work a second job and test it, otherwise it's an admission you are wrong.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
I'm not very familiar with flat earth arguments.

But I'm wondering how they get around the fact that if you keep going in one direction, eventually you'll end up where you started.

A few years took the long route to Australia, and on the flight back I flew in the same direction as I took to get there. I just don't undertstand how something so simple is dismissed?

Sure, maybe the supporters simply don't are can't understand the technical aspects of science that difinitively prove a spherical earth. This, however, isn't technical.

They say you only think you are going straight, you are actually going in a circle.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Nothing more than observing the horizon from a mountain peak is needed to disprove flat earth. Simply said, if the Earth was flat, observing it from a high mountain would allow us to see the edge of it.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: masterp

They can just say it's too far to see.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

S&F for the effort but lets be serious, if scientific evidence could sway you, you wouldn't be a flat earther to begin with. They've literally created an alternate reality where everything we know about the universe is wrong.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Do flat earthers ever leave their own Street corners? I have flown to the middle East (UAE) from Atlanta GA and then flew to South Korea to Hawaii to LAX to Phoenix AZ to Atlanta GA my Origen of travel. Why did I not find the eadge of this so called flat earth?

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent
First, you would have to leave the northern hemisphere, I'd guess, to have any hope of finding the edge.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
My little contribution to debunking flat earth is a photo I took from Spain (Benalmadena city in the Malaga region) where on a particularly fine morning you can see the coast of North Africa. Except that instead of seeing the coast, you see the tops of the mountains, making it look like you're looking at a chain of islands. Because of the curvature of earth, the actual North African coastline is below the horizon.

Since my computer died, I lost that photo, so I cannot post it here, so you'lll have to take my word on it.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

According to the crazies, all airline pilots are also in on the hoax, they're not actually flying in a straight line but in a gentle arc to circumnavigate the "disc"

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: captainpudding
I've never understood using this argument. Globe or disc, East or West is perpendicular to North and South. Like a speck of dust on a second hand of a watch, you can travel around the world and reach your point of origin.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
My little contribution to debunking flat earth is a photo I took from Spain (Benalmadena city in the Malaga region) where on a particularly fine morning you can see the coast of North Africa. Except that instead of seeing the coast, you see the tops of the mountains, making it look like you're looking at a chain of islands. Because of the curvature of earth, the actual North African coastline is below the horizon.

Since my computer died, I lost that photo, so I cannot post it here, so you'lll have to take my word on it.

Ive seem that sight myself...tops of mountains over the horizon. Very cool.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation
a reply to: captainpudding
I've never understood using this argument. Globe or disc, East or West is perpendicular to North and South. Like a speck of dust on a second hand of a watch, you can travel around the world and reach your point of origin.

Look at their map and you will understand. East and West as we describe it is a big circle for them on a flat Earth. So yes if you went West you would hit the edge, but that is never done.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Palmer and Rothera. Flat Earth is now impossible.

Nothing more needs to be said. There is no logical argument they can make. All they can do is cover their ears.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Look at their map and you will understand.

I've seen a few which is why I don't get this argument.

East and West as we describe it is a big circle for them on a flat Earth.

Yes. What is a line of latitude on a globe? Works the same.

So yes if you went West you would hit the edge, but that is never done.

Only if you were to view like a Risk game board and see left as west and right as east. If you view it like Pac Man you would leave via the west side and re-enter on the right. But you'd have to be nuts to see it either of those two ways.

E-W is perpendicular to the radial lines of longitude in either 'model'. I hate to say model because there is actually no flat Earth model.

ETA: Perpendicular may not be the best choice of words here, I'm not sure, but it should convey the idea.
edit on 6-3-2016 by DenyObfuscation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Look at their map and you will understand.

I've seen a few which is why I don't get this argument.

East and West as we describe it is a big circle for them on a flat Earth.

Yes. What is a line of latitude on a globe? Works the same.

So yes if you went West you would hit the edge, but that is never done.

Only if you were to view like a Risk game board and see left as west and right as east. If you view it like Pac Man you would leave via the west side and re-enter on the right. But you'd have to be nuts to see it either of those two ways.

E-W is perpendicular to the radial lines of longitude in either 'model'. I hate to say model because there is actually no flat Earth model.

When you go "West" on the flat Earth map you are not going straight, but rather you are going in a curved circle. So while using the globe map you go "West" .. in the flat Earth map you could actually be going north, east, or south.

Starting from the US and going "West" will never bring you to the edge because Russia is not "west" of the US, so the pilots are flying in a circle.

That is why my argument is simple and destroys their argument. There is no way to make the Earth flat if Palmer and Rothera exist.
edit on 6-3-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

When you go "West" on the flat Earth map you are not going straight, but rather you are going in a curved circle.

My contention all along. Others who have used this argument ask why they didn't hit/find the edge.

Starting from the US and going "West" will never bring you to the edge because Russia is not "west" of the US, so the pilots are flying in a circle.

Russia is east, west, even north then south. Follow the lines, latitude or longitude.

That is why my argument is simple and destroys their argument. There is no way to make the Earth flat if Palmer and Rothera exist.

No doubt there are many simple arguments that destroy the flat Earth lie. I don't doubt yours, I just have never seen it made. How does it work?
edit on 6-3-2016 by DenyObfuscation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

No doubt there are many simple arguments that destroy the flat Earth lie. I don't doubt yours, I just have never seen it made. How does it work?

Rothera and Palmer. They are close to both Australia and South America on the actual globe Earth. On the flat Earth map the part of Antarctica where they are located must be close to one, and a huge distance from the other. So if it is close to South America, it must be all the way across the Earth from Australia and vice versa.

On the map I posted Palmer and Rothera is a few hour flight from Australia, and a 30+ hour flight from South America (similar to starting off at LA and going West to reach NY).

If you can reach Palmer and Rothera in a few hours from BOTH Australia and South America, the Earth must be a globe, and can not be flat. This is something that any person can personally verify with ease.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Ross Ice Shelf also works perfect.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I do remember a bit of this now. I did some checking on flight times and distance but I think I became distracted by something else and forgot about it.

No matter how they try to portray a flat Earth to scale, huge discrepancies will be glaring.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

edit on 6-3-2016 by DenyObfuscation because: remove DP, like it matters. The net is full of DP's

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join