It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a point by point demolition of the flat earth claims

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Demonstrating the veracity of the spheroid model in 3 steps [ deliberate sarcasm for the scientifically illiterate ]

1 – the Eratosthenes experiment – to save space :

wiki

This experiment is infact a ambiguous – as in the absence of any other data – this could demonstrate that the earth is a speroid with the sun a massive distance away – OR that the earth is flat and the sun is just 3000km above the equator

This is where science kicks in – any claim has to fit ALL observations to qualify as a valid theory

The flat earth claim is about to fall – well er ………………. Flat

Lets proceed

But first an interlude – to the moon [ this is important – as several other thinks hinge on lunar observation ]

Observation s

a – the moon APPEARS round – whell suh

b – the phases of the moon can be observed to follow a 28day period

Now – is the moon a spheroid or flat disk in the sky ?

Good question

It can be simply established by an experiment with 4 iteams

A dark room , a basket ball . a flat disk and a torch

That given observation A B and the experiments results that

It is demonstrated that at least the visible face of the moon is a convex solid with a radius [ curvature ] equal to its observed radius

If that sounds complex – the simple answer is its at minimum half a sphere with the curved side facing earth

Interlude # 2 – mars and Jupiter

First – both are observably round further – By direct observation – it can be shown that both these are spheroids as features can be seen through
telescopes and the rotational periods of all features confirm that both rotate on their axis and are thus spherical

2 – POLARIS

Using a sighting of polaris to determine latitudes between the north pole and the equator is simple

And can be paraphrased thus :

“ take a sighting of polaris from any point north of the equator , and the angle at which polaris appears above the TRUE horizon is the latitude “

Now the flat earth claim immediately crumbles here

Because in reality – the lines of latitude are equidistant [ and even flat earther fantasy maps draw latitude lines equidistant ]

See pic :

This can be tested with a map – the measured distances between equal increments of latitude IS identical – do try this at home kids

Now lets demonstrate the flat earth siliness

This pic shows an alledged “ flat earth from the equator to the north pole – with the scale bar delineating 10 degree incriments of latitude

As shown – the flat earth delusion fails the polaris test – one obersvational dataset in – and the flat earth delusion has crashed

Spheriod earth model handles polaris observations perfectly

But hey – lets crash on

3 the moon – we are back

Thanks to the observation of solar eclipses – its demonstrable that the moon is nearer to the earth than the sun

Further – as we have already established that the moon is at the very least – ½ a sphere with its curved side facing earth

Then lets put this to the flat earth test

Using the flat earth explaination of the experiment – we showed that the sun can only be 3000km from earth ID the earth is flat – and the moon
must be closer than that

Lets use a moon distance of 3000 km – as its an easy number to work with [ and it saves pulling another claim out of flat eart arses

Now the distance from London [ UK ] to washington DC [ USA ] – is conveniently 6000km

So –picture time [ each block on the scale bar = 1500km ] – see there was a reason i used the 3000km number

A observer at the apex of the red lines would see a drastically different view of the moon than a viewer at the apex of the green lines – as shown ^

2 points verifiably 6000 km apart – biewing an object alledgedly 3000km above a flat plane

SHOULD – observe very different views of the moon – but they don’t – flat earth fails again

We know they do not by comparing photographs taken at the point of totality of lunar eclipses from different points on the globe

Egro – the moon is further away by a magnitude

I have lost the will to address the issue of lunar eclipses – but hey – this post is getting big

There – another nail in the flat earth coffin

ALMOST DONE – JUST 2 POINTS LEFT

So without further adoo : Longitude

To save time – read this wiki

Now longitude is a funny thing if you accept the speriod earth model –

At different latitudes – the measured distance between each degree of longitude changes .

But as required by science it is predictable – testable and conforms to observation

If you subscribe to the flat earth delusion – its fooking hysterical

Because – on the flat earth map – longitude lines conform to observational data UNTILL you get to the equator [ which is always still drawn on
flat earther maps ]

Then longitude utterly collapses under the flat earth delusion – and instead of the measured distance between 2 lines of longitude being identical
at opposite latitudes [ ie 20 north and 20 south ]

The southern latitude lines continue to diverge ……………… ooops

And the further south you go – the sillier it gets

As seen on the flat earther map

Unless you is cthulhu – you cannot address longitude on a flat earther map

Then – saving the best till last – observable daylight

This is where the flat earth claim really does go bat crap crazy

Observed fact – on the 21st of june for 24 hours the sun is observable from EVERY point north of 66 degrees north latitude [ the arctic circle ]
– and cannot be observed from ANY point south of 66 degrres south [ the Antarctic circle ]

Lets see how this looks on the flat earth map

THAT ALREADY LOOKS INSANE – RIGHT ???

Hold on – it gets better

On December 21st : the sun is observable from ZERO locations north of 66 degrees north latitude [ the arctic circle ] – and can be observed from
ANY point south of 66 degrres south [ the Antarctic circle ] for 24 hours

Now – back to the flat earth fantasy map and lets see how that observational fact looks :

Yeah – that’s what “ flat earth research “ gets you

The suns footprint magically changes shape – by magic

Of course in the spheroid model – with an axial tilt it makes total sense

Again – testable and observable with a ball a torch and a dark room

It would be feasible to contunie this thread for some time – rubbing flat earthers noses in the excrement of their own delusion – but – whats
the point

The above concludes that the flat earth delusion does not fit even these simple testable observations

There endeth the lesson . The eaerth is a spheroid – QED

Flat earthers are delusional pseudo scientists

Done their own research my arse

The end – that’s it poo flung – now I need a drink

edit on Mon Mar 21 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed mod error...sorry

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
No no, the moon and sun are flat as pancakes always pointing toward us so we don't see they are flat. Thats proof that the earth is (also flat) the center of everything, don't you read history?

Don't sail too far, you'll fall off.

Here there be dragons…

stay home, work, earn, shop and consume…

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Wow .. you put a lot of effort into this. Well done. Interesting read.

But (and i feel bad for asking this)...do you honestly feel there are enough FE believers on ATS to warrant all this effort you went to? I always got the impression that there was only a handful of people at most (2 or 3).

Either way, this is all great basic info and i hope people read it and learn something.

Nice one.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

i dunno just how many flat earthers there actually are

but thread

got under my skin - and i had 2 choices - this thread or ripping someones head of and shoving it ip thier own arse

you got this thread

EDIT TO ADD :

there are quite a few flat earth threads - i might link a few more of them to mine - and see what happens
edit on 4-3-2016 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

All the images you have posted are flat!
Show us some round ones - or it aint true!

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Watching a ship leave a seaport, and head to-wards the horizon, why does the hull disapier first, then the superstructure, then the masts/radar domes, is it because the the earth is round?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Do we really need to debunk "flat earth" theories in this day and age?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
At the bottom of the original premise was control by the state, i.e., stay here, don't venture too far its dangerous out there…

a good allegory is Sam's dreams of escaping the system from Brazil

link   
I want to fall off the edge of the world. The Chinese said the world rides on the back of a turtle, but I bet it's actually supported by a giant column of pancakes. I want to eat those cosmic pancakes.

link   
a reply to: pikestaff

yes you are absolutly right - but flat earthers have various ad hoc weasels to some observations - i have attempted an interlocking series of evidences - that cannot be incorporated into a flat eath claim without special pleading and mutually exclusive " answers " to each argument

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

it would seem so

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

Thanks to Washington Irving's fiction and a few Darwinists, yes...

The idea that the earth is flat is a modern concoction that reached its peak only after Darwinists tried to discredit the Bible, an American history professor says.

Who invented the idea of a flat Earth?

So where on earth did this idea that Columbus would sail off the edge of the earth come from? Apparently it originated in the mind of Washington Irving in an 1828 fictional book he wrote about Columbus. That the idea caught on in the minds of people is obvious but how did this fantasy get elevated to truth in the classroom? According to historian Jeffrey Russell it was a deliberate attempt by a few historians and academics of the day to discredit Christians who were resistant to the new evolutionary theories of Darwin.

The Flat Earth - A Lesson To Us All

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

oh dear - i has a simple question - if your above rant is true - then why the hell do flat earthers and religious wingnuts turn out to be the same people so often ????

ETA :

1828 you say - well fook me - them dammed evilutionists are dammed sneaky - they even had the framework to discredit anti dawrinists < sic > published before darwin even left cambridge

thats scientific predicability for you

edit on 4-3-2016 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: 3danimator2014

i dunno just how many flat earthers there actually are

but thread

got under my skin - and i had 2 choices - this thread or ripping someones head of and shoving it ip thier own arse

you got this thread

EDIT TO ADD :

there are quite a few flat earth threads - i might link a few more of them to mine - and see what happens

Ahhhhh yes. I know that thread. You made the right choice. Lol

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
For me .The most irritating thing flat earth believers or dabblers can say is "well, unless you have been to space yourself, how do you know the earth is a sphere? "

That to me is such a dumb statement that no further discourse is needed to gauge how ignorant they are .

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Very interesting OP which reeks of anger and fear.

The entire thing is a long-winded strawman. Your pictures of flat earth map and sunlight may be the stupidest misrepresentation I've ever seen. You know that but your agenda is rather clear.

As a long time lurker I've noticed this site has been infiltrated by censorship in the form of these progressive, humanistic scientism-worshippers. They gangstalk and troll any type of intellectual deviation away from mainstream thought.

Most people understand that we see in vanishing points and that for a six foot tall man, the horizon, on a flat desert plane or the ocean, is about 3.5-4 miles away. So, your entire point on polaris would work on a flat plane as well.

I don't know what the shape of the earth is. But I don't think its a 24k mile around spheroid.

Take this for example: I fly, a lot for my job. At a cruising altitude of 30k ft, going roughly 500mph - using the curvature formulae of 8in x mile^2, the plane would have to account for nearly 31 miles of earth curve to maintain a level altitude. That's 26 miles more than the descent of the plane! Surely, any passenger would notice this drastic of an adjustment every hour at cruising speeds/altitudes

There are plenty of amateur videos of boats out on the horizon, 10-15 miles out, that should be well below the curve of the earth. They aren't, they are just beyond our unaided vision.

www.youtube.com...

In this video the boat is beyond our vision but clearly still level with the guy filming from the beachside.

It's beyond the 4 mile horizon of our eyesight - at four miles it should still have an observed 11 ft of drop. I doubt that boat is much more than 11 ft tall from the point it arises from the water and we can still see where it meets the water, which should be buried beyond the curve

I think we live in a world of deception. Fake pictures from NASA that are easy to spot but since smart posters here claim they're real, you better too or face ridicule. Fear motivates.

Plenty of fear in the OP. And stupidity and/or flat out ignorance to the subject he's bashing.
edit on 4-3-2016 by cestrupISright because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: cestrupISright

Guess you have heard of gravity?

We're always getting pulled down. Hence why airplane wings generate lift.

Your argument is so flawed it spat out my coffee through laughing.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Look, you completely missed the point. If the earth is a ball, you have to adjust to maintain a level flight altitude. Or you'd fly off in a tangent out to space. Do you get it? Put your coffee back in your mouth and think before you type.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

Be prepared for a lot of grief.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: cestrupISright
a reply to: TerryDon79

Look, you completely missed the point. If the earth is a ball, you have to adjust to maintain a level flight altitude. Or you'd fly off in a tangent out to space. Do you get it? Put your coffee back in your mouth and think before you type.

No. Just no.

Gravity is a (relative) constant. When you fly your altitude is above ground level. Gravity is pulling you down all the time.

Nothing is truly flat either. There's no such thing as a straight line.

Your flight argument would only work if there was no gravity and my scales say otherwise.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join