It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodyear unveils a wild concept for spherical tires

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

I can't help but think that if I'm driving along a mountain road with a cliff to my left, and I started into a relatively sharp right-hand curve, that the force of momentum and inertia would want to send my car toward the cliff -- and the fact that the tires were spheres would let the car be pushed that way.

Then, I die.

One excellent side effect of having no direct linkage to the drive train and the ability to turn in all of the degrees would be that the tires could spin in a way that actually keeps to the corner more reliably that a tire with a single vector of motion.

Unless the tires want you dead. In that case, I imagine they'd be very efficient at throwing you over the cliff.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrikeyMagnet

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

I can't help but think that if I'm driving along a mountain road with a cliff to my left, and I started into a relatively sharp right-hand curve, that the force of momentum and inertia would want to send my car toward the cliff -- and the fact that the tires were spheres would let the car be pushed that way.

Then, I die.

One excellent side effect of having no direct linkage to the drive train and the ability to turn in all of the degrees would be that the tires could spin in a way that actually keeps to the corner more reliably that a tire with a single vector of motion.

Unless the tires want you dead. In that case, I imagine they'd be very efficient at throwing you over the cliff.

I was thinking more along the lines that spherical wheels would allow the car to move in any direction easily, even sideways.

However, a car that can easily move sideways is not always a good thing, as in my example of the centrifugal forces (my momentum wanting to go straight) pushing the car sideways toward the cliff on my left as I'm curving right. But I suppose the car has some sort of protection against such a "loosening" of the wheels in that sideways direction.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CrikeyMagnet

Seriously? No idea why someone would want to make something rather than have it handed to them in exchange for little pieces of paper?

But that doesnt really answer the cost benefit of 3d printing a car does it? You're saying just because they can afford it they'll build a car for $200, 000 because they like throwing money around. Maybe a lottery millionaire with more money than sense. A business person who works hard for his wealth I don't think so. Its cheaper for them to buy the car from conventional sources or buy the whole car manufacturing plant. You haven't even addressed the issue of patents. I really don't think you know how the real world works.

Your earlier comment of....says a lot

If you run over a paperclip, will it get... like... stuck?

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join