It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitchy's Bioterror Incident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Many moons ago, due to high scores on placement tests, twitchy was allowed to take advanced biology his sophmore year in high school, a class normally reserved to upper classmen. In retrospect, given my level of interest in causing trouble, this was probably not a good idea. It was half way through the school year if memory serves, when we were learning about bacteria cultures. For our midterm, we were to culture swabs from our saliva in petrie dishes and then identify the various prolific strains that grew. One of the students in that class wasn't allowed to participate as he had Strep throat. Now being the twisted genius that I was at the time, a thought occured to me and I confided in this fellow and he was kind enough to provide me with a swab of his tonsils (I wasn't satisfied with a mere swab of his cheek) and I innoculated my medium with his infectious saliva. A few weeks later after our cultures had time to grow, it was time to check them out and identify them using various stains and microscopes. Mine was a fuzzy glass dish full of streptococci. Unfortunately, my culture never made it to the identification stage, I slipped in some glycerine my lab partner had spilled on the floor at our lab station and my culture exploded in glass shards and spores on the table in front of me. The teacher, a usually kind and wonderful teacher, had a fit! He was yelling at me about how dangerous it was, and how filthy the human mouth was, etc. while I covered my mouth and nose and slowly backed away from what i knew to be a cloud of evil. But to make a long story short, over half the class and a good number of other folks came down with a 'mysterious' outbreak of Strep throat. It is for this reason especially that I have a great fear of bioterror, it isn't called the poor man's nuke for nothing. You hear alot of media claiming how difficult it is to manufacture weapons grade pathogens, but it is much easier than one might be lead to believe. Yeah, you aren't going to wipe out a city overnight with this sort of technology, but the implications are none the less frightening considering the research that has been devoted to developing these 'super' bugs. Some urban areas are so densely populated that a virulent strain of any bug is bad news enough without genetic modifications or aresol dispersals. Bioterror is a very real threat, and modern technology has brought this new threat to a whole new level. There are bugs out there that can literally wipe out our species.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I believe this is the types of weapeons the resistance will eventually use on US soil, Now so much bad has been done in iraq, im sure all his neighbours are busy developing all sorts of chemicals to bomb the US with when the time comes to crumble its empire... scary thoughts

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
A bunch of Arabs hiding in caves with a home chemistry kit factors pretty low down on the radar. The really scarey folks are our own fellow countrymen/women patting themselves on the back at how clever they are in mutating current viruses and creating new gene specific nasties that could target specific ethnic groups.
All very clever but not something I am in agreement with. As Twitchy pointed out, all it takes is an unfortunate accident and something bad could get out.
Sure, nasty Mr. Hussein had his Chem/Bio labs at one time but it was pretty basic and elementary stuff compared to what out own people play with

join