It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ad-blockers, subscriptions and money? ATS is worth $2 million and makes $466,920 a year

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Support your communities, or watch them rot.

In that case, if this were a physical community, i.e a growing small town, would you not want the city council to be open & honest about expenditures when they come out asking for more funding? If townsfolk have the right to ask where it's all going & why the current amount is not enough, shouldn't the posters have that? You are the one making the comparison, think like the townsfolk.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Be real. ATS is bending over backwards trying to give us what we want, all while trying to fund it, run it, and make a living at the same time. Us transients are not the heart and soul of this website. There are people who actually work, while we just log in and off at our leasure.

Support your communities, or watch them rot.

Did you even read main point of the OP?

Many people have requested information relating to ATS' use of finances. That's not an unreasonable request if members are being asked if they would consider paying for certain things.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Let's step back into reality for a moment. This isn't a government. Townsfolk?

It's a website that you and I use. It's social media, emphasis on the media. It's entertainment.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

thats what bugs me - it smelt like a fishing expedition to see what ATS members would pay - NOT a proposal to replace the actual add revenue with an identical subscription

spot the difference ?

I agree. It was either very poor or very clever word choice on SkepticO's part in that OP. There was massive confusion in that thread, and the OP was too ambiguous and open-ended to mean several things.

edit on 4-3-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I demand you tell me the use of your finances. Where is all that money going?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope
Without us it would fall. Besides what is the harm in letting us know the financial state?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Or, alternately....they could have a paying ad free service and still have the regular old ATS with the annoying pop ups and such...
Or alternately...another site just like the older version of ATS will get started somewhere out there....and time will have moved on....

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

Let's step back into reality for a moment...Townsfolk?

Hey you initiated the metaphor by urging us to take care of our community or watch it rot. Now you want to backpedal on it?

pfffft it's my bedtime anyway.

edit on 4-3-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It doesn't calculate loyalty, nor the value of some members over others in the content value realm. Nor does it calculate scalability, real time responsive, responsive design, staff moderation and its massive library. Since we all enjoy ATS, the technology that supports it including the interface, ease of use, the UI, the back end systems that make it play well together we should pay something or suffer the impression-only ads.

I'm of the camp ATS should follow NPR in the US and do quarterly fund drives with price matching sponsors and giveaways. I'd love to see the staff and ownership breaking their balls to separate us from our money.
How clever can they get!

ETA: And if these fund drives are overwhelmingly successful (my silly optimism) well then ATS should become a lobbyist group. Get some politicians on our side to affect changes and have our crazy conspiracies/ideas addressed properly in the public, without (too much) ridicule. Ah... One can hope.
edit on 4-3-2016 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

I demand you tell me the use of your finances. Where is all that money going?

That's a pretty poor analogy.

If i was running a business and asking people to invest in it or donate money, i would certainly be forthcoming and transparent in how that money would be used.

It's not like people are asking Skeptic Overlord to publish his personal finances. Some are only asking for clarity on how he will use money if he continues with plans of introducing benefits to members willing to pay.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

What about everything else I said? Anything?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

How is that any of your business?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Use an adblocker and cause ads to not be viewed, then you may lose some of the free functions on the site. I find it perfectly reasonable.

I spend about $30 a month on an MMPORG, they are worth millions. They have down time, crappy customer service, lag and constant glitches. I choose to play it though, since when it is working, it is working very well and I enjoy the people. They can also tell me each and every day that I should buy more virtual tings. They have an extensive T&C which I must follow or cannot play.

The very thought of asking them "What are you doing with my money?' or "Why do I have to view an ad for your other game that I am not going to play?" Is an exercise in futility just to think about.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

How is that any of your business?

It's not mine. I won't be paying anything to the website.

That said, many members have requested more transparency in the matter, before giving the website any money. I don't see how it would hurt ATS to detail how they spend their money, if only to provide clarity to those seeking it.

Many companies have annual reports which detail expenditures. It's not like people are requesting ATS to do the unthinkable.
edit on 4-3-2016 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   

That is a small amount of cash flow to keep a small business running. I can see why they are concerned about ad hits.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   

...and is considering a subscription system...

If this happens -> point of no return for at least 70%. Downfall of ATS I predict.
I´m not willing to pay for user generated content if the content itself is free to use for ATS (read the TC).

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter You only need some of us to prop up the folks who only use free services. It's not a total sum mission.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

They should FIRE the person responsible for the code and hire a decent software developer before they think about anything into the direction of subscription fees. Oh wait... Because I doubt the one messing around in the code can come up with a decent and secure login & payment system. Let alone implement a buyed one the right way.

Not an attack just the truth.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

i guess this thread is as good a place as any to regurgitate my opinion from an earlier closed thread :

you know what disturbs me in this issue ?

the vagueness

we are offered serveral chouces from one dollar to 10 dollars [ USD ]

and asked which would we pay to get " add free " ATS

the problem in my mind is if $1 USD will covver the loss of add revenue

where is the suplemental $9 USD [ if the 10$ per month is accepted and paid by members ] going to go

and of course if $1 USD will not cover the loss in adds revenue - why is it even offered ?

i dont really care - i managed for over 40 years with no ATS - i am sure that i shall cope if it implodes

i allready said i wont pay - but will acept the adds [ at current level ]

but if we end up with any sort of multi tier ATS with paying glitterati having more rights / priveleges than free peons - then my banning will probally seal the matter shortly

thats what bugs me - it smelt like a fishing expedition to see what ATS members would pay - NOT a proposal to replace the actual add revenue with an identical subscription

spot the difference ?

Well...thats how polls work. It's information gathering. SO did say that an average of about five bucks a month would pretty much cover it. So, he apparently wants to know what such a change is worth to the members. I've been on here a about 12 years (I think)....and sometimes I have loved it, and other times not found much value.

Finding out what the "customers" actually think and/or feel about something, gives a better sense to those making the decisions, about which way to go. But evolution is always in play.

This is still the most objective site... in terms of both variety and logical discussion..... that I know of. They have rules, which overall, I agree with. I've had a couple of threads 404ed, that I thought were maybe a bit iffy. But, it isn't my site. Guys get into the hall of fame for batting .300.....and this includes all their screw-ups and umpire screwups as well. However, the main strength they all share, is being willing to go up to bat again after striking out.....maybe after doing that even several times in a row.

I've managed and run a lot of things. The only constant I've found, is that no matter what you decide to do, good or bad, some people won't like it. However, that has little bearing on how it will actually work out. It will either be better or worse in practice. And once rolled out, some people will change their minds and decide they do actually like it. And if it turns out to be worse, a smart manager, will notice and keep changing until it it is better.

At any rate, I can't decide how I feel about anything, until I know about it. For the record, I feel this is being handled well. Let's not screw the pooch over the small stuff. If you hate it that much, then leave. Some are going to, no matter what happens. I don't mind a few ads. I never click anyway....so unless they are blinking and interfering, I am capable of ignoring them. I've always been an ad blocker....since before sites depended on that. Apparently things have changed a bit. I can adapt. I often spend more than five bucks on one beer in a pub. So that is a good measure for me. Is this place worth a beer (or I suppose, a premium coffee) a month? For me it is. But please don't act like it's a big deal, if it isn't, to you. If you are young and poor or whatever.....then suck it up. Appreciate it for what it is. Personally, I spent a number of years on peanut butter and ramen noodles, when I was poor. But, I never lost my dignity over that. I was still in charge of my own tradeoffs. You are too. There are no real "victims" here....at least about anything this trivial.

Be well.

Oh yeah....PS....nothing wrong with a fishing expedition, as long as you know you may not catch any fish. But, you can't know until your line is in the water.
edit on 4-3-2016 by Enderdog because: added a PS

edit on 4-3-2016 by Enderdog because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2016 by Enderdog because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2016 by Enderdog because: because i am old and this stupid pad and predictive text are messing with my old tried and true mojo

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Jason88

Right. Then you have three options:

-Pay
-Do not pay and do not use adblocker (get intrusive ads)
-use adblocker and thus can´t use the site.

It´s also not clear if there are no ads if you pay. (or is it??)
A big part will leave, trust me. And the one´s providing content (in this case I mean a good thread, not posts) for free won´t pay for the privilege to post their stuff for free. At least that´s not what I would do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join