It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Totally Nuts.. for a healthy snack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Hi folks. I am one of those people that need a snack in between meals. I have a couple of Nut mixes you might enjoy and or change to your liking.
I want to start with not one of my favorite nuts, but is healthy to eat.

Almonds are the only nut that have an alkalizing effect in the body. We need a proper balance of acid and alkalis in the body to feel good,
thealkalinefoods.com...
Almonds are a good source of protein, vitamin e, b complex vitamins and a good source of minerals.
Cashews are high in calories but very yummy. They are a good source of selenium and I prefer them over Brazil nuts in which you can easily overdo your intake of selenium.
Selenium is beneficial to skin health,
www.healthy-skincare.com...
Okay so far I have listed two nuts.
I mixed these two with wasabi flavored dried pea snacks and little sesame sticks and have enjoyed the savory treat with a wasabi kick during my long bus rides to and fro work and back.

On a sweeter note, a simple mix of pecans, raisins and dark chocolate bits can help one through the day.
Pecans are a source of ellagic acid which ''Has the ability to inhibit DNA binding of certain carcinogens, thus offering the human body protection from cancers.''
For source of all the posted nut information and a very nice site on nutritional value of food,
www.nutrition-and-you.com...
On the above source, I also found that raisons are a ''concentrated source of energy, vitamins, electrolytes and minerals.''
And who doesn't like a bit of dark chocolate?
Here are some reasons not to feel a bit guilty over a dark chocolate treat,
www.huffingtonpost.com...
I love the buttery pecan with a bit of dark chocolate and a sweet raison to cut the bitterness of dark chocolate.

Hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading... please share your favorite nut mixes if you feel like it!
edit on 3-3-2016 by peppycat because: spelling

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat
Not really a mix, but we used to have bags and bags of this stuff around the house..piñon, roasted pine nuts. Lots of good memories going out to pick these in New Mexico. I am not in NM, so I can only find them raw and with shells, and the price is staggering. But they are quite wonderful when roasted in the shells. They have a discernible sweetness from the sap.

My second choice is seasoned pistachios!

Just wish nuts weren't so expensive.! I buy big jars of trail mixes and have a handful for breakfast everyday.

edit on 3-3-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Are you nuts? Just kidding.

My doctor just put me on a diet called the Wheat Belly Diet. I can't eat anything that has wheat in it. I can eat nuts as a snack. He recommended I stay with almonds, walnuts and pistachios. Says their healthier and more beneficial with this particular diet. I also can eat an apple with almond butter, which I really like!

I do like those sesame sticks, but can't eat them because they have wheat in them.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha pine nuts are expensive, but very tasty. Nuts in general are pricey, but I bought small bulk amounts and mixing with different nuts and other goodies together, I stretched out 20$ of the nuts and things for about three weeks.
I have used crushed pine nuts on a cauliflower dish and it was very good.
I rarely ever see nuts in shells anymore which is a shame because they have the best nutritional value.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

nuts are my favorite food. pistachios and cashews id eat all day if they werent so pricey where i live. Instead, i settle to buy peanuts bulk and make lots of butter...

your wasabi concoction sounds excellent..

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I never have cared much for almonds. I don't care how good they are for you. I'll take the cashews though, and I like Hazelnuts.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons I love Pistachios! I find walnuts have their place in certain recipes or even with oatmeal (can you eat oatmeal?) and chopped dried fruit.
I love having peanut butter on sliced apple and switched over to a chunky almond butter with salt for my apple snack. I really like almond butter and made the switch so that I am consuming more alkaline foods. I get heartburn easily and I figure its because my body is too acidic. I have noticed less heartburn when I eat more alkalizing foods.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket Home peanut butter! That's the best! As a snack between meals, peanuts are a good source of protein and easy to find in their shells.

When it comes to anything wasabi flavored, I'm a sucker. I always keep my eyes out for sales and when combined with small bags of nuts in bulk I was able to stretch out the cost for about three weeks of snacking at a pretty good price.
Thank you for the reply!

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Insert, Healing with Whole Foods, by Paul pitchfork.. this is from the book.
I bought some sunflower seeds today... hmmm
"Warming thermal nature; sweet flavor; acts as qi energy tonic'' in'm still fasting, so a little bit helps
There is Moe if anyone care to learn about sunflower seeds or perhaps sheer their experiences with them.
Thanks for reading!
Ps. I own the third edition and am interested in either first editions..thanks
edit on 3-7-2016 by peppycat because: when can. i smoke and leave here😃

top topics

join