It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Revenge of the Lower Classes and the Rise of American Fascism - Chris Hedges

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 01:49 PM
Republicans and Democrats amount to the same thing. It's their job to sell the agenda multinational corporations, special interests, lobbyists, and foreign governments dictate to them.

Example: "We must invade Iraq because they have WMD and sponsor terrorism."

Or... "We must permit non-citizens from culturally distant, third world, corrupt and violent parts of the world to illegally enter our country because diversity is strength. Flooding our labor force with even more unskilled labor is economically beneficial to average Americans, and without them our economy will collapse"

If we refuse to buy what they are selling, then they resort to shaming us. It is "unamerican" not to bring in Syrian refugees. "That's not who we are". If shaming does not work...(shaming has always won in the past, but times are changing)... If shaming fails it's on to fear.

"If we don't let Syrian refugees in they will become radicalized and attack us with Isis!" Even as they empower Isis and other extremist groups so that they can overthrow Assad because we apparently have not done enough to destabilize the Middle East. Remember the good old days of Hussein, Gaddafi, Mubarak etc?

Do you honestly believe toppling these STABLE and relatively non threatening regimes was part of a foreign policy agenda that served Americans or America?

They destabilize the Middle East promoting an agenda dictated to them by foreign interests, sell that agenda as something America needs for "national security reasons", and eventually cause a crisis that leads to millions of people being displaced. Then they demand we begin allowing these people from an area of the world hostile to America and American values, and thick with extremists and enemies to our country insisting the same people they have claimed will become terrorists if we do not permit them into our country represent no threat to America. Meanwhile they continue to insist people like Saddam Hussein and now Bashar Al-Assad represent a national security threat. Or Gaddafi or whatever. We must interfere with countries on the other side of the planet, and depose their leaders for our own safety... But don't worry about the people we are actually bringing into OUR country, that's ignorant and xenophobic.

Think about the layers of hypocrisy. Look at how our so called representatives have manipulated Americans and "sold" them this agenda as something entirely different than what it was. So while they're off fighting for "national security" by destabilizing the entire region and creating this mess, they still have time to lecture their citizens about how "un-American" they are for rejecting an influx of people we know nothing about from countries where extremism is more prevalent than anywhere else in the world. I'm just using this as one example. The refugee crisis is just one issue that is really a shining example of what our elected officials are truly about, and how they manipulate the public into supporting policies that are destructive to America and are designed to benefit foreign/corporate/special interests at the expense of Americans.

That being said, Trump has done more for America through his campaign than any president in my lifetime has done with the actual presidency. He has made so many things possible. This movement is not about Donald Trump. Trump is just the opening act. Who could have dreamed a year ago that we would be here now... Unified against the power structure of the elites and facing the likely scenarios of either a) Reclaiming the Republican Party from the traitors who have sold our country out, or b) Burn the Republican Party to the ground. I love either scenario.

Donald Trump represents a win/win situation. He is far from perfect. He may even be a fraud. But if supporting "moderate rebels"(extremists) who likely have similar views about America as Isis to overthrow Bashar Al-Assad at the cost of untold lives is sensible, it would be a bit hypocritical of them to say much at all about supporting Donald Trump to overthrow our own tyrants and dictators.

I will say that Donald Trump could be serious about becoming the voice of Americans that have been marginalized and robbed of so much. It may be an ego thing for him. He could be remembered as a true hero if we win this struggle for our country. He could be immortalized almost in the way George Washington or Abe Lincoln are today.

He could be a traitor to the movement. But what exactly is in it for him? Unify and give a platform to us so that we have the power to burn him at the stake, then betray us and become the most hated man in America? It's an open question. I have high hopes for what Trump might do as president, but if he turns out to be a fraud he will not be any worse of a choice than the rest. Even his betrayal could not change the fact that he has already won us a victory that honestly seemed impossible not long ago.

So keep on insulting the intelligence of Trumps supporters, call us racists, claim we are fascists, tell us all about how TRUMP is introducing dishonesty to politics and has somehow crossed the line into unacceptable territory. Then go vote for Hillary Clinton or Marco Rubio or any of the other "reasonable" politicians. I'm sure they will lead us to the promised land and the impending catastrophe of a Trump presidency will be averted.

I don't blame anyone for not trusting Trump, and I can absolutely understand why a person would not want to vote for him. What I shake my head at are the people all up in arms, claiming Trump and his supporters are idiots, or clueless, or xenophobic or any of the rest of the long list of insults. These are the people who have been voting for Goldman Sachs to rob them blind for decades. The people who supported sell outs and traitors in the quest to rob their own people of freedom, prosperity, and national sovereignty. Now here we are. Getting lectured by those same geniuses who just cannot fathom how we could support a dishonest con-man. Now you people know how many of us have felt about you for the past 15+ years. You have consistently supported what amounts to Trumps worst case scenario. So tell us more about how educated and enlightened you are, and how up until Trump came along our representatives somehow did not consistently represent the awful things that Donald Trump will supposedly be.

Damn it this post is too long so I won't get into the David Duke hypocrisy or the politically correct cult subverting our society or the dishonest media or the democrats or the ADL etc etc.. There's a long list of enemies contributing to the decline of western civilization and I'll be damned if Donald Trump has not made an enemy out of every single one of them. Even the republicans. If he does even 20% of what he says he will do he is a true American hero and I will not forget.
edit on 5-3-2016 by Eckeck because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:31 PM

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
The unwashed masses actually want freedom of speech, freedom of association, the right to own guns, the right to self defense and for laws to actually be enforced?

They are sick od the ruling class making laws that favor big international corporation, insurance companies and big Pharma?

They are upset that college tuition has quadrupled disproportionatly from other economic indicators just in the last two decades and health care costs are even worse despite the most hospitlals declaring themselves non-profit?

Thats racist and fascist!!!

All that I can add (said a lot & said it very well) is my inability to take Mr. Hedges seriously once he made the mistake of straying into his own, personally held stereotypes...

Very few of the talking heads I've seen so far are capable of even distinguishing the differences between disappointment and disgust with anger.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:55 PM
a reply to: Eckeck

I very rarely get to sit back in my chair these days and lose myself in the words of someone who understands how to passionately express themselves using our language in the way that was once (sadly) the norm. Consider me to be standing and applauding!

He's never needed the job, in fact, he could pay the 15% the gov't currently charges against your net worth and renounce his citizenship and still he and his family could live comfortably the rest of their lives.

There's an old saying, "Sometimes, if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." I can't help but feel things have reached the point that he hoped would never come...

If this winds up getting blocked, you can still watch it Here.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:54 PM

originally posted by: CB328
There is a lot of truth to this article. Trump voters, the Tea Party and other barbarians on the right want the "right" to be destructive, obnoxious, selfish, immature, asses and they're tired of people trying to make them be civilized.

They're also tired of not "fitting in" the economy, however a lot of it's their own damn fault. They don't want to spend the effort to get educated despite being warned for decades that education is the path to success. They waste tens of thousands of dollars on silly things like monster trucks and dirt bikes and quads and then claim that the government is bankrupting them with taxes.

But they are right that the business and corporate world has been screwing most Americans. Too bad they helped let it happen because they believed fairy tales from morons who sold them on deregulation, tax cuts, massive military spending and basically letting the wealthy elites run the country.

Oh really?

In the UK, banks used to pay a decent rate on all savings. Now they only pay interest on the first £2000, and even then, that's only for six months. And you have to put in more money each money than they return in interest in order to keep the account open.

Pensions have been consistently raided in the name of "wealth distribution". First the pension fund managers wanted to "skim off the pension fund surpluses". But in fact that money was reinvested in the stock market. They effective very nearly sucked all the money out of the stock market. Manufacturing companies employing thousands were liquidated, the pension funds raided, the high-tech equipment sold off to the Far East, and the land sold off to developers.

The ongoing immigration in the UK had driven down the earnings of the working classes like plumbers. Their earning have halved due to competition from workers from Eastern Europe. Interns *pay* to get work experience. British graduates can't compete under those conditions.

Train services are so overcrowded now, that the train companies skip stations to try and make up for lost time. Too bad if you find yourself overshooting your destination. Better spend another hour trying to make your way back.

London has exhausted the supply of brown field sites to build new housing (starting at £500,000 for a studio flat), that they are proposing to build on public parks and other green spaces. Needless to say, that met with fierce opposition so they are looking at other places like Oxfordshire. Residents also have to worry about being stabbed for no reason by mentally ill people.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:58 PM
a reply to: MOMof3

I'm 55 I watched it happen,I learned to hate hippies then. KKK too.
" Society made me do it" never will be any excuse.
Blame the French for Vietnam lady, NOT the guys who fought and won EVERY major battle there.
Blame Kennedy Johnson and Nixon all you want but YOU are not to TOUCH soldiers outside of criminals society wise.
The LEFT has pushed that lately and MANY other things .
It appears, suspiciously, like they are pushing a fight against veterans and Christianity ,so we will violently oppose them.
Fortunately ,WE ARE the men and women who have fought wars and WE aren't that stupid.
Not like college kids anyway.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 05:07 PM
a reply to: CornShucker

I really like that clip. Do you know what year it's from?

Our trade policies have been such a disaster for everyone but guess who? The elites, lobbyists, multinational corporations all get rich while their salesmen explain how great "free trade" is for our economy. It's free! Freedom is good right? And free trade sounds so American, and as an average American that knows nothing about such things, I have no reason to doubt this politician praising it.

Meanwhile in the real world trade is only "free" for everyone else. Protectionism trade policies have always had a role to play in order to ensure your country is not robbed blind and your people can maintain a competitive advantage in their own country. That used to matter.

These days the prosperity of common folk and the existence of a strong middle class do not serve an essential function to the rich and powerful. It has actually become counterproductive for them. They are profiting on the broken dreams of our entire country while politicians praise the policies and deals that have crushed us. It's FREE! Free trade is freedom. And capitalism. And it is part of American exceptionalism. And the free market! Free free free! As once great American cities crumble to the ground in poverty and despair.

But hey we support Trump because he is an "alpha male bully white guy" and has a strong personality. We don't care about issues right?

And as far as this particular issue goes, have you ever heard a politician suggest we do something about the disasterous effects deals like NAFTA have had on the middle class? I'm sure it's just a coincidence their donors universally profit from and support our trade policies? I seem to recal Ross Perot detailing exactly how awful this all was going to be back in the early 90's. And everyone made fun of him and no one took the guy seriously.

Trump is not even a conservative and hates capitalism and the free market for suggesting we protect Americans from being crushed under the boot of multinational corporations and our trade partners who do not hesitate to act in their own self interest when it comes to trade, and hold more power over our elected representatives than we do, insisting that we should do nothing even while they manipulate the system with protectionist policies that are supposedly unacceptable for us to adopt.

Not to mention currency manipulation or the terribly disadvantaged trade deals which represent the interests of everyone but America as a nation and its citizens. And our people sign off on these deals without even allowing a debate. They won't even listen to our objections or pretend as though they matter.. The fact is on issues like this the people's will has not mattered for a long time. Coincidentally these are the most high priority issues for corporations and foreign governments who give money to our faithful representatives.

I wonder why they don't want to discuss it, and simply make the deals without having a discussion? It must be for our own good. For freedom, and the free market, and capitalism, and American exceptionalism. And it's disgraceful to give a platform to those who would suggest we abandon our values as Americans and try to take back some semblance of a prosperous existence for the folks that used to make a nice salary at the car plant and could support their families. You know, the people working at McDonald's or Walmart now so the Koch brothers can afford solid gold toilets instead of the cheap gold plated garbage.

I'm not angry. I'm just incredibly sad to see what's happening to my country and my people. Sarcasm is my coping mechanism. Come on people... Democrats, republicans, liberals, conservatives. We all want the same things. Donald Trump is the only ally we have when it comes to bringing back opportunity and prosperity to the middle class. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Trump does not pander to the globalists because he is not in their pocket. Trump is a small glimmer of hope, and I can make no promises that he'll do what he says or represent the people once elected. There is at the very least a reasonable chance he will represent America and Americans first. Everyone else is Goldman Sachs, literally. They are not real people. They are salesmen who serve and are on the payroll of the same groups who have lead us to where we are, and profited at our expense.

Bernie Sanders might be an exception, and while I disagree with him on most things I think he would probably try to stand up for the people. He would be crushed and his solutions would lead us down a dark road in my opinion, but that's certainly up for debate. When it comes to any other candidate there is no debate about who they are loyal to and who they will represent. We are running out of time.

edit on 5-3-2016 by Eckeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 05:47 PM
a reply to: cavtrooper7

It is our history. If you were born in 1961, that was pretty young to remember the news. And the draft was not active by the time you were of age. What laws have taken rights from christians, veterans in the last 8 years. There have been hundreds of laws created that have been directed at women only in the last 8 years.
edit on 5-3-2016 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:13 PM

A subversive system Ma'am, is in play and in fact is that which I speak of.
Military getting gutted ,comedians prosecuted in Canada for a damn joke.
ALL of this garbage.
Vietnam ended when I was 15,I had been reading UFO books and more since 10.
I remember it in a visceral fashion mostly.Scum spitting on their defenders, the Watts riots Dr.King and his call for unity which they plugged him for.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:21 PM

You remember a fed up country with war. The people who spit on our returning soldiers. They did not make the laws that began taking benefits away from our veterans and left them homeless and sick.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:26 PM

OH that is why I will demand an outsider from the system as a nonaffiliated voter.
And in case you haven't noticed an angry America wants to shove Trump down their throats out of spite and watch the chaos.
Otherwise Dr.Carson would have done better.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:32 PM

Dr. Carson is a good man, no doubt. The reality, he was never going to get the racists in the south. You have Trump because he is not black, a jew, or a woman.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:57 PM

originally posted by: Eckeck
a reply to: CornShucker
I really like that clip. Do you know what year it's from?
-- snip --

It's from 1988 & the only reason I became aware of it was because of an article I read about an outright lie that is being spread in forwarded emails and on places like FB. It shows a still from the interview and has text overlaid claiming it was from a Donahue show and portrays Trump as saying something like, "Phil, I have a very high I.Q., trust me. How could I be anything but an atheist?"

That's a paraphrase from memory. It's probably not exact but it's pretty close... Crap like that isn't worth what little space it would take up on my system so I can't double check it. I can honestly say that I don't allow myself to hate anyone, but I detest liars & cheats! Trump is on record as saying that he knows telling the truth gets him in trouble at times, but he prefers that to being dishonest.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:30 AM

originally posted by: akira131

originally posted by: jellyrev
Society rubberbands.

I am so tired, tired spiritually and emotionally of it all. I know I am not the only one. Bernie and Trump are manifestations of the people's discontent with the system. I am so sick of being labeled. We label everything. We sit back and critique and criticize while we do.... nothing. Our country is dying. I can't even let my children watch american cartoons anymore, it is THAT bad.

the whole world sees us for what we are. They see our government for what it does and what it destroys. I think it has come to the point that even with choices that maybe aren't that great, so long as they are anti establishment we flock to them en mass.

We are the ones keeping this system going, so many of us are disillusioned groups do rash things like taking over nature reserves. Things here have degraded so badly that the people, the collective consciousness of America is starting to wake up and lash back. We have to fix this and the only way we can is to DO SOMETHING. we have to change our government before it devours us all. I love the term "unwashed masses".

It makes me chuckle. we unwashed masses keep your computers running. We grow the crops that feed your family. We build the things you use to make your everyday life that much more enjoyable yet we are racist, sexist, ignorant fools who don't matter until we begin washing over the system with waves of change. Then we are relevant because we are "so backwards" we will "make it worse".

It's already worse. Our course is unsustainable. I walk down the halls of my work everyday and see people of every race color and creed and i do not judge them. they do not judge me. we speak kindly we say "hello" "how are you today" "hey how's it goin!" yet if you watch any of the divisive junk on tv you would think we walk the halls glaring waiting for a turned back so we can beat the person because of their skin color, shoot them because we are rednecks. This is not how it is. WE the UNWASHED MASSES are not just the cogs in the machine, we ARE the machine. we make it work, we maintenance it, if care for it and for our troubles we have had an establishment destroy us, rob us, degrade us everyday in pop culture news and tv. destroy our foreign relationships, give away our nation to unaccountable corporations whom then pay lobbyists to pay off and bribe those supposedly representing us.

I think we could bounce straight into fascism. But if we do it is because we were handed the ultimate betrayal by a system that is already cannibalizing us. Not because we are the problem, because THEY are the problem.

I just had to respond after reading your above comment Akira... without doubt, one of the most thoughtful, honest, poignant comments I've seen to date on this particular subject; and so beautiful well written too... thank you. Observing from half way around the world, the chain of increasingly uncharacteristic and increasingly more alarming events and situations of the last decade, has often been unpleasant and painful 'viewing' to say the least... disappointing, disbelieving, disenchanted... saddening really, at what's been lost; at what the rest of the world aspired to for generations, at what's been mercilessly stripped from that great nation's heart.

I detect a glimmer of 'something' though, in amongst your shrowded resignation and fatigue. 'Hope' possibly?? 'Hope' that this isn't over yet?? 'Faith' too perhaps that, even though it will be bloody and painful, the balance will be forced back to where it should have always been?? I personally would love to see that United States once again in my lifetime. Just know, 'The world' sees THEM for what they are... not YOU. Start there. Good luck. I truly mean that.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:46 AM

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
The unwashed masses actually want freedom of speech, freedom of association, the right to own guns, the right to self defense and for laws to actually be enforced?

They are sick od the ruling class making laws that favor big international corporation, insurance companies and big Pharma?

They are upset that college tuition has quadrupled disproportionatly from other economic indicators just in the last two decades and health care costs are even worse despite the most hospitlals declaring themselves non-profit?

Thats racist and fascist!!!

I am not feeling very PC lately.
I think you have the beginning of a great stump speech, and have my feeling clearly defined. How about you run as an independent and I will vote for you? The GOP and the Democrats both turn my stomach.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 09:14 AM

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Yeah, lower and middle class Whites have had it - as have Blacks and Hispanics but it's been the 2 party system pitting the American people of all races against each other.

It definitely bears repeating!!!

I third this as well.
The ones causing division are the economic and political elite because it is better to have the slaves at each others throat than focusing their attention on them.

Try as they might, it is not working because I do not see the division they would like to see where ever I go.
edit on 6-3-2016 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 09:31 AM

I am not feeling very PC lately.

Neither am I, I expressed my opinion the other day that was not considered politically correct, it was on a certain rebooted movie that featured all women, when the last one featured all men, the hate I got was amazing.
Yet the majority detested it as well, it has over 300K down votes, that is massively bad for any trailer.
People should be able to express themselves freely, the hate coming back is from weak kneed bleeding heart liberals with no back-bones.

Trump is the backlash to political correctness gone wild.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 10:02 AM

originally posted by: mikell
True about Regan . Every time somebody wishes him back I remind them that we used to be able to 100% deduct all interest on everything credit cards, car loans you name it. Regan took that away with a lot of other things

Reagan was just another establishment puppet who had CFR Members on his team.
There on some that want to hold onto the notion he was a Great President.
He said Government was the problem and then expanded it at the same time while also cutting taxes on the rich.
He was also responsible for our first boon doggle in Afghanistan where we armed Islamic Fighters.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 10:08 AM
a reply to: jacobe001

I third this as well.
The ones causing division are the economic and political elite because it is better to have the slaves at each others throat than focusing their attention on them.

Try as they might, it is not working because I do not see the division they would like to see where ever I go.

Yes! Thank you!!!

I don't see it in my "real world" either. Sure, there must be racists and other haters out there, but not in my world. I live in a very racially and religiously diverse neighborhood, and for the most part we have no problems getting along and working and playing and living together.

But there sure are a bunch of folks making it seem like we're all just haters hating on each other, and profiting handsomely from the effort.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 10:18 AM

originally posted by: Willtell

4. And union bashing: The American working class wages was steadily rising with the advent of powerful unions. The rhetoric of anti-unionism began with Reagan and now only about 15 percent of American workers are unionized and steadily wages have gone increasingly down and down since then.

Meanwhile, there are a constant plethora of gatherings taking place now among Big Business Types by the thousands all across this country, Organized Business if you will, planning together rather than competing on "where to take this country".

But if Workers started Organizing on the same level as they do, you would here cries and shouts in the Corporate Media about it, and they would bring out the usual sound bytes to demonize them.

The power is way to concentrated on the Big Business Side in this country and they need to be taken down a notch.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 10:21 AM

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: masqua

Just for poops and giggles, I clicked on your link... it's fun to go back in time (1993) and read what was written way back when.

This part had me laughing so hard, I just about fell out of my chair:

Since the mid-1980s, Heritage analysts have been stressing that a free trade agreement with Mexico not only will stimulate economic growth in the U.S., but will make Mexico a more stable and prosperous country. Heritage has published over three dozen studies stressing the benefits of free trade in North America.

The Heritage Foundation telling people NAFTA will be great for the overall economy...

... and forgetting to mention that when they say "overall economy", what (we now know) is that they really meant "overall multinational-corporate-relocation-to-gain-more-profits economy".

Hindsight is 20/20.

Anything that comes out of the Heritage Foundation should be thrown in the Garbage.
They are Pro Corporate Globalists and do not have a Pro American vein in them.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>