It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the right-wing resolution to healthcare, anyways?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I've read a lot of things on this forum, one of the biggest complaints of the right is against universal healthcare.

Okay, so what is your better idea?

The reason hospitals cost so GD much is "capitalism" - Don't tell me it's government this or that or taxes.

We have to pay hundreds of millions of dollars, even billions to insurance companies, lawyers, price-gouging big pharma... All of these costs GET PASSED ONTO THE CONSUMER.

So what the hell is your better idea, right-wing people?

Universal health-care raises the debt but saves lives...

Your way has put a lot of people in debt, likely even led to the death of people.

Let's forget the LIFE part of life,liberty, and happiness - It seems we are intruding too much on the "liberty" of billionaires and price-gougers, that we owe our servitude to lawyers, bankers, pharmacy companies, and insurance companies.

Yeah, let's keep it up with this great system, good job conservatives, you've made yourselves proud!

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

I guess you didn't know about Obamacare being the law of the land.

Good job liberals.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Well if I read it correctly earlier. Trump's healthcare plan is to make the healthcare industry transparent. Allow the people seeking treatment to search for the cheapest doctor, physician, etc. Ultimately make them compete. Don't tear me to shreds you devout Trump supporters.

ETA: Trumps Healthcare Reform
edit on 3-3-2016 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Great Post, why don't you get off your rearenda an do some real work,
like looking at the real reason healthcare is 10 times more expensive here that
for let's say Canada or Mexico.. and FYI many Doctors from Mexico get trained in the US

+14 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BIGPoJo

Ummm. Obamacare was written by insurance companies - You know, corporations having power over the government because they were allowed to get too big, too powerful.. Obamacare was 100% a capitalists dream - Some of the biggest insurance companies enjoyed huge profit boosts.

Single-payer system is what your average left-wing person wants. Not obamacare - Given to us by the great corporations.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

Lawsuits, overhead costs, insurance companies, price-gouging.... Now the great obamacare, written by the insurance companies themselves...

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

There is very little capitalism in healthcare... that is the problem. Government interference has distorted the market going back to WWII when wage controls caused employers to start offering healthcare to employees to compensate them since they couldn't pay higher wages.

Government demands insurance cover all sorts of things even when the purchaser does not need it.

Government prevents insurance companies from competing across state lines choking off national competition.

It is a complex problem, but rest assured government is at the root of most of the problem. Rarely do free markets resort in higher prices of goods and services.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: BIGPoJo

Ummm. Obamacare was written by insurance companies - You know, corporations having power over the government because they were allowed to get too big, too powerful.. Obamacare was 100% a capitalists dream - Some of the biggest insurance companies enjoyed huge profit boosts.

Single-payer system is what your average left-wing person wants. Not obamacare - Given to us by the great corporations.

Single payer does not change the economics of healthcare... We have single payer already... it is called the VA.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

So what the hell is your better idea, right-wing people?

Increased Privatization and allowing the free market to regulate the price of everything healthcare related.
Ideally it's not a bad alternative.

edit on 3-3-2016 by NateTheAnimator because: none

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

There's hardly any capitalism, anywhere!

Huge corporations have gotten so big, and so cozy with the government that no one can compete.

Universal healthcare didn't lead us down this path....
Gay marriage sure as hell didn't...
Abortions?
Weed?

It's not "liberal" policies or ideas or anything that made things the way they are...

No... The "freedom" to make all the money you want, at any cost, and the desire of the rich and powerful to use money to own the government, write the policies, gouge prices, etc lead us here. One-sided capitalism got us here, in my opinion.

You see, the rich don't want us citizens knowing our money has power. If we collectively were taught, and collectively exercised our purchasing power, such corrupt practices would not exist.

But no, one-sided capitalism is where the people believe they are at the mercy of those with more money, those who own the businesses they go to. They are basically taught and brainwashed with this idea that we cannot do anything other than accept it.
edit on 3-3-2016 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Privatization! Let the free market work! Competition will drive down prices!

In reality? Let's translate that...

Price fixing! Monopolies! Collusion and corruption! Profit over human lives!

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

What is the right-wing resolution to healthcare, anyways?

Thats easy. They scold you… "GET A JOB!".

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Ideally - In a perfect world full of rainbows and unicorns, that sounds great!

However, America has not practiced anything like true free market capitalism in a long time.

"free market price regulation" is a myth, in our current circumstances.

People will pay 100x the reasonable cost for their medication if they are always taught they cannot do anything about it. People with big money know this.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
1) Simple catastrophic coverage plans not tied to employer
2) Purchase decision needs to be made by consumer
3) Price transparency of goods and services, particularly for routine health care like exams, physicals, and diagnostic testing.
4) Interstate competition of insurance companies
5) Reduce AMAs chokehold on Doctor supply
6) Tax code changes to allow HSAs and other self-funded vehicles to assist in paying for healthcare

There are a ton of things we can do to bring prices down that don't mean destroying an entire industry.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I am ALL for the free market, and capitalism, and a volatile and risky market, and ever-adapting business models, less patents, more ideas, and competition like we have not seen in decades...

I don't think it will happen, though.

Nope, that would not make the elite happy. Government and corporations alike would throw a fit! And you know what that means.. More legislation, higher costs, less ability to compete in such markets.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

In response to you - But a question to everyone - What makes automotive insurance so much more affordable?

I mean I pay 50 bucks a month, and am covered on all of my families vehicles as well....

The new obamacare prices are more like 500 a month, for basic coverage, 10k deductibles, bad coverage once it actually kicks in, etc...

My 50 dollar a month car insurance pays for far, far more potential damage, without crazy costs to me...

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
You know what will happen with the open state lines, free market sounds good idea? The insurance companies will form an alliance and set prices with no consumer representations. How do you think that evil "pre-existing" clause came about?

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

You shut up & let the Private Sector take care of you! The Private Sector loves you NOW BOW DOWN & FEEL ITS LOVE!

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

That's what I would expect.

Regulation to break up really large companies and partnerships might do something...but that's anti-capitalistic anyways, if we are going to have the government oversee healthcare, it just as well be single-payer.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope

In response to you - But a question to everyone - What makes automotive insurance so much more affordable?

I mean I pay 50 bucks a month, and am covered on all of my families vehicles as well....

The new obamacare prices are more like 500 a month, for basic coverage, 10k deductibles, bad coverage once it actually kicks in, etc...

My 50 dollar a month car insurance pays for far, far more potential damage, without crazy costs to me...

Say it slowly... FREE MARKET.

You can change car insurance companies at any time. They also are under no obligation to cover you. So if you are a bad driver, jacked up credit, etc they aren't forced to have you in their coverage pool OR you are appropriately charged rates that represent your risk. There are no barriers preventing car insurance being sold across state lines. Your employer is not subsidizing your car insurance. Pricing is transparent meaning you can call Geico and save 15%, State Farm, or whoever you want and know exactly what you are getting and how much it costs.

The other big reason is that your car insurance is CATASTROPHIC. Meaning it only comes into play when you destroy your car. Your car insurance company is not paying to rotate your tires, oil changes, car washes, and other routine maintenance items that you should be doing on your own. Think how much your car insurance would cost if it paid for all that stuff.

Health insurance is not really insurance, but more of a health maintenance plan. Paying for physicals, massages, physical therapy, blow jobs and everything else under the sun that people ought to be paying for out of pocket. Insurance is supposed to be there for you if you get cancer, break an arm, etc. Not pay for your doctor cause you got a little sniffle.

If you want to see how free markets work in bringing healthcare prices down all one has to do is look at elective surgery costs that are not covered by insurance like Lasik and plastic surgery. Doctors not only have to compete on their skills, but their costs as well. As such, prices are pretty cheap as people are paying out of pocket so they do what we do on every other product - SHOP AROUND.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join