It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Soldiers Flee to Canada to Avoid Service in Iraq

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Well, I already live in the USA and love it here. Even though my current government is questionable at best, its still the safest, cleanest place on earth. I worry about nothing. I have the freedom to do anything I want so long as it does not infringe on others freedoms. I can say anything I want and go anywhere I please.

safest? you have to be joking! with all these crime and murder rates?
and the corruption in the highest places?
your goverment running around with all the army like they are on some kind of "holy quest"?

i see your american people as very strong and powerfull, but extremly young and inexperienced. you are a young nation, only 200 years old country; comparing to old civilizations of europe and middle east you are nothing but a teenager. young with history and young with war experiences.
we have seen WAR here in europe dont worry about it. and we dont want it anymore. and there was war in middle east long before there was war in europe. ancient persian and babylonian civilizations were extremly powerfull empires.
and i think that your current goverment lacks reason here. i guess they were missing in history class in school, and got a degree from war economy.
nobody want to fight war anymore. but your country seeks enemies everywhere, you just need one "arch enemy". it used to be the "great russian bear", enormous warmachine, armed to the teeth. now after the fall of "red barrier" and the fragmentation of ussr, the archenemy is the muslim states (along with their natural reserves). the terrorists that were once cia agents, are now hunted down and their countries leveled to rubble.
that is not a path of peace and democracy,
but a path of war and dirty capitalism.

So I look north and see our Canadian neighbors. Very similar to the US in many ways, but not actually the US. Canada simply does not have the security or resources that I have here. Canada is USA light. Like a lesser facsimile.

canada is so close to the usa, but so far FAR away.
by just crossing a single river, between canada and usa, you see the diffrence. low crime. low murder rate. people also live in north america but act very peacefull. why arent there crazy people with guns running around canada?
and did you know that canadian people dont lock their front doors?
(i have seen that in bowling for columbine movie and i was really amazed; canadians, tell me is it really like that?)
imagine that. without locking their front doors.

I would rather serve my country in a war I do not support than move away to a country as a criminal that is second place to the one I already have.

what are you waiting for then?
if you love your country and
want to follow your goverments orders,
enlist!
the u.s.army will gladly accept you.
'coz they want you!

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Where me and my family live, where I am able to give them a home, is clean and safe. No country in the world is totally clean and safe, but the USA has a higher standard of living than most. A higher percentage of its citzens enjoy a clean and crime free life. Remember the USA has nearly 300 million people living here. And nearly 100% have clean water to drink, electircity and adequate sewage removal. Not many countries in the world can claim that nearly 300 million of thier populace has that. And of those 300 million people, a higher % of them live rather nicely.

Hey, I dont hate Canada, but Id much rather fight for my superior country than live in yours. Canada wont admit it, but a very large part of everything you enjoy as freedom and security is owed to your American nieghbors. Some directly and some indirectly. Just sharing a border with the US gains you a basic degree of security other nations cannot claim.

Its a pitty that your government would harbor deserters from a government that it owes a great deal to. Shame shame.

I'm sorry skippytjc, but you're 'out to lunch' on most of those comments. It has been rated that Sweden is the cleanest, safest most highest standard of living country in the world. I'm only speaking statistically though.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Unless you have first hand experience living in another country, you're talking out your arse. I know many people all over the world, and they all claim the same things as you do about America. None are complaining that Americans have it so much better, because we really don't. They get tired of hearing Americans brag about their false supremacy. Sure, you may have more TV's, but if that's your only basis for judgment, you're pretty shallow. There are also quite a few countries where people live much wealthier lives than the majority of US citizens. Unless you live in a third world country, they're really all about the same. Some countries are definitely exceeding the US in freedoms, now. You're just spouting that same brainwashed rhetoric that most Americans have been programmed to spew. There are many countries where you could live just as comfortably as you are now, and without as many murders, road rage incidents, arson, burglaries, etc. Did you know that most people don't even lock their doors in Canada? Do you lock yours here?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Hey, I dont hate Canada, but Id much rather fight for my superior country than live in yours. Canada wont admit it, but a very large part of everything you enjoy as freedom and security is owed to your American nieghbors. Some directly and some indirectly. Just sharing a border with the US gains you a basic degree of security other nations cannot claim.

Its a pitty that your government would harbor deserters from a government that it owes a great deal to. Shame shame.

Ignorance of the first order. "Superior country"? Arrogance to go along with your ignorance. Canada owes NOTHING to the US. As for providing us with security, thanks but no thanks. The only country on the planet we would have any concerns about IS the US. So you are protecting us from yourselves?

About the only thing I agree with here is that the deserters should be returned for prosecution.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I don't agree with that at all. If I was called to go to Iraq, I'd go to Canada too. I'm not going to kill people who don't deserve to be killed for people who do deserve to be killed.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damned
I don't agree with that at all. If I was called to go to Iraq, I'd go to Canada too. I'm not going to kill people who don't deserve to be killed for people who do deserve to be killed.

If true freedom isn't worth fighting for in you mind then be gone. The US can have no freedom with Islamo-cowards willing to kill americans and americans willing to RUN and HIDE.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damned

Yes, if you were called, fine, I'd agree with you. However these people signed up to be in the millitary, they have an obligation to fulfill. You can't just up and say, "Well, I may have another year and a half to go but screw it, I'm not going to Iraq".

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
If true freedom isn't worth fighting for in you mind then be gone. The US can have no freedom with Islamo-cowards willing to kill americans and americans willing to RUN and HIDE.

The US isn't fighting for "true freedom." You don't even know what it is, apparently. The US is fighting for world domination. We are the new Romans. The thing is, that's not what America was about, originally. It's been perverted and warped into something we never wanted to be. If I have a chance to fight for true freedom, I'll be there. But first, you have to know what freedom is. You don't.

[edit on 11-1-2005 by Damned]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Bottom line is this:

I love my country and I wouldn’t think for a second of moving anywhere else. Especially Canada. I would even fight a war I don’t agree with before moving away. The USA is the best country on the planet. Period.

I have been around a little bit, although I would not consider myself well traveled. But I have never been anyplace I would rather live.

Some of these places are nice to visit, for a very short period of time. To live anyplace else is out of the question.

Canada is to the USA as an Intel Celeron is to a Pentium 4!

There is a good reason more people try to immigrate to the US than any other nation.

You go ask any one of those immigrants why they came to the USA. Ask one that just graduated from college or opened up a business why they came or if they would live anywhere else. You will get your answer.

And as far as any of those desserters who cross into Canada: You can have them, seems like they will be at home there...

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I would even fight a war I don’t agree with before moving away. The USA is the best country on the planet. Period.

Ah, I see. You lack principles for the benefit of monetary reward.
That's sad. I feel sorry for you. What an emtpy life you must lead.

There is a good reason more people try to immigrate to the US than any other nation.

Money. That's about the only reason. Is that all you can base the worth of a country on? I'd much rather live in a country with sane people, than make more money here. This place is whacked. It wasn't always this bad, but it's pathetic now. I love my country too, but I sure wish we could take it back before it's too late. When someone nukes us, you'll still be blaming them, instead of those who should be taking the blame.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   

And as far as any of those desserters who cross into Canada: You can have them, seems like they will be at home there...

You're in deep now mate. What the hell do you mean by this?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well, Canada wants them, they can have them. It seems to me here that our Canadian posters here are quite proud that some Americans are crossing the border to seek asylum in Canada. If Canada is willing to grant a military deserter who broke their oaths to their country, then Canada maybe a fitting place for them to reside.

During the cold war it was common place for opposing countries to offer asylum to defectors. Not excluding the USA. But this was different. This was a tactic against your enemy. Today, Canada is supposed to be a friend of the USA. To promote and harbor defecting deserters today by Canada, is hardly friendly politics.

I would reiterate that if Canada is willing to hold these people from the arms of US law, the Canadian government is suspect and Canada deserves to have these traitors among them. It seems to me that both the traitors AND the Canadian government don’t appreciate the USA the way they should.

Its about time some Americans on these boards started speaking up for their country. All this USA bashing makes me sick. Even with Duyba at the controls and some of the current administrations politics and agendas, the US is still an amazing place and always will be.

Again Ill state: I would rather fight for my slightly broken country than live in Canada as a traitor.

[edit on 11-1-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
By no means am I bashing America. I am, however, bashing the idiots that are ruining America.
I'll never fight for those who are willingly ruining my country through their ignorance. I will fight against them in a heartbeat.
I'm far more upset that America is being destroyed from the inside, than I am that we were attacked. The reason being, that is why we were attacked.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
About the only thing I agree with here is that the deserters should be returned for prosecution.

Posted by me. You see my mood over there in my panel? "Canuck pride". That means I'm Canadian. I can only infer from your posts, if you saw this, that your intention is to be inflamatory to Canadian members because it's sure pissing me off.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
To tell you the truth, I had no idea America was so stupid, until we attacked Iraq. I was amazed with how many ignorant people I ran into, after that, that actually said things like, "Saddam attacked us."
It's been one lie after another, every since. And most people just seem to eat the lies up as they come.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I wont argue that, I think they are idiots as well. But the USA's administration is temporary. That’s what makes this place so great. The people don’t stand for crap forever (although it feels like it sometimes)

Hey, I don’t think the US should be in Iraq as much as the next guy. But the bottom line is we are there and Americans defecting to other countries wont make anything any better. I would fight not for my country in this case, but to support my fellow Americans who are there. My country is THAT GREAT.

And I am very serious about the Canadians attitude towards the US. Like it or hate it, Canada owes a great deal to the US. I’m not saying this out of American pride or conceit, I am saying this because its true. Canada's geographical location in regards to the US is a HUGE part of its security. Period.

How many times has Canada or Mexico been invaded in the last 100 years? None? Mmm..I wonder why? I understand that Canada has its own, capable military. But that in itself isnt the reason why Canada hasn’t been attacked in some form or another. Its because of their geographical and political alignment with the USA. Its as simple as that.

Sooo..when I read about Canadians thrashing the USA I get pissed. How much $$ flows into your country each year from American tourists and through business relations? How many Canadians enjoy entertainment originated in the USA? How many Canadians travel to the US to buy stuff for boats loads less than in Canada?

Look, its a symbiotic relationship for sure. But the USA is the lead and that’s it. Plain and simple.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

How many times has Canada or Mexico been invaded in the last 100 years?

Let's take this another step, how many times has Canada been invaded ever? Twice, both times by the US. See my point? We need nothing from the States with the exception of the NFL.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Posted by me. You see my mood over there in my panel? "Canuck pride". That means I'm Canadian. I can only infer from your posts, if you saw this, that your intention is to be inflamatory to Canadian members because it's sure pissing me off.

Wait, by what you say here, if I understand you correctly, that every time I mention something negative against Canada in a thread with people who posted that are openly Canadian its a personal attack?

If this is true, wouldnt it also be true that ALL posts on these baords that are anti american that I have posted on are a personal attack against me? Please explain.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   

If this is true, wouldnt it also be true that ALL posts on these baords that are anti american that I have posted on are a personal attack against me? Please explain.

Listen skippy, you were the one that started this crap. No one was dumping on America. If you percieved as much I shudder to think that such small provocation is need to begin bashing other countries. I even agreed with you on a point and then you step back and claim bashing? Grow up skippy.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I wont continue because you are a mod and I dont want to get banned for deffending myself and my country against a mod. Not becuase I will state something against the TOS, but because im my experience you dont argue with mods if you want to continue posting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join