It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Soldiers Flee to Canada to Avoid Service in Iraq

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm starting to really like this guy. He starts with relating what people think about America to some innocuous personal memory.

Originally posted by iksmodnad
To all those America bashers:

Its sad to see how much the rest of the world stereotypes America. I live here I am satisfied, end of story. I don't care if every countries roads are paved with gold, or borders are built with steal walls. America is were I was born and America is the place i grown to know and love.

Go ahead, try and tell people that america sucks, if your that arrogant I want nothing to do with wear (Personal Note: Hmmm) you live and just proves that the united states is doing the right thing.

Guy, seriously, you should relax. I think America sucks, but I'm not (and most others) are not comparing it to other countries. It sucks when looking at the way it could be if thing could start to change for the better rather than the worse.

I was about to dismiss you as a harmless jingoist (which is fine by me, this is America after all). But then you go on to say this:

well lads and gents I said what i needed to. I can't take these endless arguments. I feel its in my best interest to stay out of these politically motived threads. One word of advise, every thing is not as it seems, keep your mind open to others opinions than just yours. The future shall tell you the truth...

The distain seems obvious when you speculate that we somehow have out minds closed because we don't love America and just call it a day.

But you are right about something. The future will tell the truth, and I have a sneaking suspicion we are going to lose this. It will be taken right from under our noses.

No offense though, I'm just ribbing you a bit.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by KrazyJethro]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I don't deny he did lie to us. I am not a Bush supporter but Kerry himself said knowing what he did he would have DONE THE SAME THING.

I voted for the guy that said he wouldn't have

I'm a little burnt out on the subject for now...maybe some other time.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Desertion, dereliction of duty, insubordination and A.W.O.L.

All of these offenses put together should carry the mandatory punishment of death by firing squad! No exceptions!

If they have any children, then the children should be taught: You don't run out on your duty!

Oh, the shame these children are going to have to face when their classmates find out that their fathers are YELLOW-BACK COWARDS!

At least they (the children) would live with a little dignity knowing that their COWARD fathers were executed for their crimes!

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
Desertion, dereliction of duty, insubordination and A.W.O.L.

All of these offenses put together should carry the mandatory punishment of death by firing squad! No exceptions!

If they have any children, then the children should be taught: You don't run out on your duty!

Oh, the shame these children are going to have to face when their classmates find out that their fathers are YELLOW-BACK COWARDS!

At least they (the children) would live with a little dignity knowing that their COWARD fathers were executed for their crimes!

There are many men that live that deserve death, and many that die that deserve life. You shouldn't be so quick to dispense that remedy, as you know nothing of them.

Recommending death without a comprehensive knowledge of the case is blatantly foolhardy, if not plain unwise.

This is America after all. The life of an American soldier is something that shouldn't be so hastily thrown away.

I think that might be the problem in the first place. Calm down and rethink your position.

And by the way, sleeping on watch during a time of war used to carry the same penalty. Doesn't seem like such a bright idea now.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   

If i cannot say WE than what do I say. It just shows the disgusting division of beliefs on how the government should be run in the USA.

Sorry if saying WE the offended anyone in the "united" states

damn skippy jack. I AM A FIRM BELIEVER WE SHOULD RUN IT ACCORDING TO THE CONSTITUTION. the constitution has since been over-ruled. the costitution states that if it becomes over-ruled its our right to militia up. read it, its a good work.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
A REAL PATRIOT has to give his life for others freedoms sometimes, be it Battlefield OR Prison.

Unless of course you are just a coward then go ahead and run

better to run, and fight another day, sometimes. dead people can't fight. living people can fight without ever leaving their houses. the real war is always information.
perhaps, one of these refugees will be a future 'john connor' in the war against 'terminator 3, the rise of the machines'.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning
"You know what they say - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

That's not exactly what they say in Tennessee and Texas, apparently.

politicalhumor.about.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damned
That's not exactly what they say in Tennessee and Texas, apparently.

Open wide...
img128.exs.cx...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This will undoubtedly impact those deserters seeking refuge in Canada.

The Canadian government on Thursday denied refugee status to former U.S. Army paratrooper Jeremy Hinzman, a major blow to a handful of U.S. military deserters who have fled to Canada rather than fight in Iraq or Afghanistan. The decision could affect at least eight - and possibly dozens more - American soldiers seeking refuge in Canada...

Canada denies refugee status to American

You could randomly grab someone off any street in t Sudan, and be fairly certain that person would make a better refugee than Jeremy Hinzman. Hinzman is one of six American soldiers (as far as we know) who have deserted to Canada in the past two years.

--snip--

Refugee status is meant for people whose lives would be threatened upon return to their own country, either through execution or persecution. Nothing at Hinzman's three-day refugee hearing, which I attended in December, indicated he had reason to fear either upon return to the United States.

--snip--

But even if Hinzman's claim is rejected, he can appeal and stay here forever. Given continuing attacks on U.S. soldiers — none of whom ran to Canada — in Iraq, soldiers making sacrifices to provide a democratic future to people who have only known dictatorship, it would behove Canadians to think about who really deserves what we have to offer.

Canada must deny refugee status to U.S. soldier

Further article(s) on this:
U.S. deserter denied refugee status

seekerof

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
i agree with the decision, he volunteered to be in the military, he signed the contract, his problem.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Right decision, IMO. Besides that, I think the kid needs a new laywer:

"He is disappointed," House told CBC TV. "We don't believe that people should be imprisoned for doing what they believe is illegal."

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

On feburary 25, US Army officials at Fort Stewart, Georgia, announced that Sergeant Kevin Benderman, a 40 year old amry mechanic who refused to deploy to Iraq for a second tour of duty, will be court-martialed on desertion charges. If convicted, he faces up to seven years in prison.

[...]

Benderman joins a growing number of soldiers who are protesting the Iraq war by refusing orders, going AWOL, fleeing to Canada or speaking-out. CBS News reported on December 8 that the Pentagon has admitted that ateast 5500 US Military Personnel have deserted since the war started in Iraq.

Doug Lorimer

Green Left Weekly

I think that 5500 is a huge amount, it hasn't been like this (as is my understanding) since the Vietnam war.... And I am happy, happy that there is still true soldiers out there who will fight for whats right and just - and refuse to be a tool inwhich to inflict carnage on behalf of the Pentagons globalisation agenda...

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join