It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question Concerning Rights to Posts [Solved and Understood]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
So, it has come to my understanding by another member that our posts, once posted are no longer our own? What I mean is we lose our rights to them, copyrights or intellectual rights or whatever it is that you wish to call them. I have checked T&Cs, but am uncertain and would like to know explicitly:
Do I alone hold the rights to my posts or does this site or any third party obtain shared (with me), partial, or complete rights over what I post? For example say I wish to publish what I post here elsewhere or as a book do I have that right or is my posting it here essentially the annulment of those rights?

Apologies if this has been answered in another thread. Merely curious how safe it is to share my creations or pieces of them with the members, something I have greatly enjoyed though few have seen them, to even be enjoyed by a single member is a treasure and I had promised to share more of a specific work, but losing rights makes it not worth it. Anyways, I thank you for any responses and will see you around the board. Have a good day/evening/night.
edit on 2-3-2016 by Tiamat384 because: Thanks Mods!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

You give up exclusive rights to your posts. They're still yours but they're also ATS'.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
So shared rights and this means what exactly? What is it that I am not longer able to do and what is it that ATS is able to do? Thanks for the quick response by the way.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Read the Ts and Cs you agreed to, as we all should as a member. Its there and self explanitory.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger
I have indeed read through it, though admittedly that was before my coffee and now at 11 PM it wouldn't be much better.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
From the Terms and Conditions -

17) Rights In Posted Materials: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyrights to any materials you Post and furthermore, you grant TAN non-exclusive, non-revocable worldwide, royalty-free rights to copy, distribute, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works, and publicly perform the materials in perpetuity in all forms. This license applies to all works of authorship including, but not limited to, written materials (e.g., text), audio, audio-visual materials, graphics, and images (including, but not limited to, graphics and images used as avatars). You also grant all third parties the right to copy, distribute, display, reproduces, and publicly perform the materials you post under the terms of the Creative Commons License. TAN has the authority to decide to display your postings or not, and you grant TAN the right to modify your posts, remove offensive material, modify your post title to accurately reflect content, remove vulgar comments, remove insults, or delete any other content deemed inappropriate, all at our discretion.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe
Thanks! I'll fix the thread titled so no one is bothered.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe
Thanks! I'll fix the thread titled so no one is bothered.

So... I'm guessing this means that, yes, ATS (TAN) can publish "ATS Best Works of Tiamat384's Poetry", sell a billion copies, and not have to pay you.

Is that correct?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha
I'm uncertain how to interpret that. Snarky? By no means do I even consider myself good at writing. I despise much of what I've written and find it mediocre, but on the other hand knowing what I now know I will refrain from posting anything of that sort. I've always enjoyed sharing, but will find elsewhere if anyone found anything I've written as fine, but I wouldn't check if I were you. It's all horrible.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
I'm uncertain how to interpret that. Snarky? By no means do I even consider myself good at writing. I despise much of what I've written and find it mediocre, but on the other hand knowing what I now know I will refrain from posting anything of that sort. I've always enjoyed sharing, but will find elsewhere if anyone found anything I've written as fine, but I wouldn't check if I were you. It's all horrible.

It was snarky but not towards you. It's a lame policy but not unusual. Most online communities do the same and people just have to accept the idea or just not exist online. I can't hold it against ATS anymore than I can blame my credit card for the concept of interest.

I've read some of the poetry you have posted in the past and I enjoyed it. My post was definitely not a jab at your poetry.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I apologize then I misinterpreted. I agree and actually never in my life would I pay or share much of my own content if such are the rules. I took your comment as a jab at me feeling special about what I write and I assure you I do not. Only thing is that one member said I should write a book (which I am working on now, but am unaware to what success)and I wished to share a few excerpts with them and the rest, but will simply link them to it if they are still interested
I'll post other discussions, music and general conversations. I do understand it is part of the business model, but sheesh. Oh! If subscribers kept their copyrights! That would be swell. I'm really glad you enjoyed them. Always makes me very happy to be complimented on my work by strangers because family and friends have to say they like them

edit on 2-3-2016 by Tiamat384 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I despise much of what I've written and find it mediocre,

au contraire, your writing is anything but; I'll give just 2 examples if I may:
Sweet Child Of Mine
www.abovetopsecret.com...

What a short time back at my home. What should be eternity, days. Here in my home to find that I little by little no longer that child, no more sweet child of me. Guitars, bass and drums roared in my ears as gods denounced by immortals with long hair. As tyrants denounced by those with less steam

Dark Romance in Death: Part I
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Her eyes are closed, no longer does she see the Beauty that she is. She lies dead, my Queen is dead. She is spilled upon the world. Her lips are crimson red, lips that will never again pronounce a word, lips that will never part to open for a laugh, her laugh that beckoned to the world. Her feet are bare with the thin silk gown that is the color of Night wrapping around her from nape and arms to her ankles the ends just dangling above her feet. Her feet that are bare and that walked and glided across this world still are divine. She lies dead, dead upon the garden. I had placed a Rose in her hands that rest atop her breasts. I close her hands tight around the rose till the thorns puncture her skin

Keep up the good work, I wish I had your patience. I used to find my own creative writing meaningful, "alas as the ravages of time press on and I face a cold bleak World bent on hurting those close to me and myself, I fear I must measure and apportion my time judicially. I tread in the religious forums hoping to cast some pearls before my fellow man; may perhaps the pearl fall on a receptive ear and likewise spread to bring enlightenment upon the dark waters, that they may awake to the dark religions and cast aside all belief, to tread upon new waters in search of their own godhood."

haha..thanks for your time.

PS don't be hard on yourself but keep your best works "copyrighted" and unpublished; if you want to one day make some money off them

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight
Thanks! Actually, at the very least I like that first one. It takes time for me to dislike them. Suppose as I grow "older" I just seem them as immature or flawed. Thank you for your compliment and if the italicized is your own style I do rather like it even though the topic is the site (unless I'm way more tired than I think I am). I will certainly keep my creative wrings to myself except perhaps for contest entries. If I ever do publish I will attempt to obtain permission to let ATS know! Anyway thanks for your compliment (as I've stated previously it makes my heart swell and a smile to bloom on my face) and I thank you for your time for checking what I've written and for commenting
Have a good time wherever it is you inhabit.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384 I despise much of what I've written

every artist is also his or her own worst critic. it goes with the territory

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Here's an example of one way we used site content, off-site.

The ATS Book Of Threads

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

Probably best that way. Arrogance is no good. There are times I am proud of what I write. It fades away not much time later.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord
Thanks for showing that. Seems to be for the benefit of the site and the "Short Stories" are hardly flagged usually so they do not recieve that attention although there may well be more worth in them in terms of publication as they are creative works.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
So I can get a transcript for my global archives?
My words of wisdom for goons to come?
edit on 3-3-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Dont think you can get it by request

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I guess my adoring masses will have to join.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join