It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Bible ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Here's a question for Bible scholars.

I am looking for a copy that is as close as possible to the original scriptures (whether they are in Greek, Latin, Aramaic etc) in order to attempt to understand the Biblical prophecies of the 'End Times'.

My question is this ... Which version of the Bible do you believe is the best and why ?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
There's a huge debate on this. I personally think the best thing you can get for doing a vese-by-verse comparison is the Blue Letter Bible. You can view different translations alongside the original Hebrew or Greek. Doesn't get any closer to the original than that. Of course you can hide all the mumbo-jumbo and just read the scripture as-is if you wish.

Another thing you can do is find a good trusted commentary. Not that you have to go along with every thought and idea in them, but it helps by pointing out possible connections that you may have missed.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
ims.truepath.com...

I cant spell other languages let alone read them, but here is a chart where you can trace the origen(sp) of the king james Bible.

Personally I do not believe that God would let his Word br destroyed.I believe that the King James Version is THe True Word of God.

Good luck on our search

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I prefer the word for word translations like the NKJ or the NASB.

But if you really love your theology get some bible software. The best free program that I know of is www.e-sword.net. With this prgram you can download which ever add-ons you choose from its extensive library.

Just one tip for studying Revelations. You need a good grasp on the old testement to understand it.
Alot of the symbolism comes from the old testement.

Other popular translation not to bother with are the NIV or NLT. These are not translated word for word. These are translated more like a translator would translate a speech, they translate the thought or meaning of a passage as opposed to word for word.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The newer the bible revision or edition, the more revised it is from the original text. Your best version is the KJV 1611. It is also the most confusing. We to this day, are not able to translate all of the languages and books in the bible very accuratly. Original text copies are rare...and are very old. Missing peices of pages, water washed lettering, fading, ect. make for nearly impossible translating conditions. Even in 1611 it was bad. Todays bibles are revised to account for major contradictions and translating errors....without referring to original texts. One major example. Did god actually temp people himself? Most born agains will say no...god only tests people...he does not temp because thats what the bible says today. But, if you read a written before 1950 or so, God did tempt...on more than one occasion. Contradictions were eliminated to reduce more intelligent scrutiny. The older the better.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
God did not tempt people, and does ot tempt people. Satan, and our fallen nature tempts us.

satan started the mistranslations in scripture with the 1611 KJV and just about every bible translation today except the Douay - Rheims version which does not have a contradiction in it.

Satan created the other versions to cause confusion and speculation to get people to blame the bible and accuse it instead of the ones behind translating it.

The KJV today has 100s of contradictions, I think, id have to go over my research again.

But the Douay-Rheims is the most legit accurate bible to date.

peace.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I walked into a bookstore the other day, right down the street, and guess what I saw when I walked over to the fiction section?? 3 different versions of the bible sitting there, in the fiction section. It brought a smile to my face. Cuz in reality, thats where it belongs, and thats where it should stay.

top topics

join