It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I want to move to Switzerland

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I hear the hills are alive with the sound of music. Sounds nice

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   
It is terribly expensive though! Every time we go over the border we must be prepared to pay outrageous prices for anything. A coke at a cafe costs at least four euros.

But it is beautiful... others mentioned the "happy" factor, as it has been documented concerning general happiness with their lifestyle and all?

It seems to me, for most europeans, that the happier the people claim to be, the less happy they show it outwardly!
The more comfortable and secure their life is, the more they feel the need to restrain their smiles and laughter to only those within their closest circle who they know well- outside that, they put a cold and harsh façade.

But you said you are partnered with a swiss person, so they might be slightly different (why they are with a foreigner, like my french husband who is a freak in France), but perhaps you have already had experience in their country a bit?

I tend to warn people thinking of changing countries that it will be harder than you think.
Not that it made any difference when I was leaving and I was warned by a few.....

It is not just language, but there could be subtle differences in culture that could drive you mad.
AND, if your partner is swiss, you will enter a totally different dynamic in relationship! You will be on their soil.
People will hear your accent and cut you off and turn to her and ask her what it is you want.
In these subtle ways, that continue all day, everyday, she will end up taking a more dominant role, even if it is not her desire. The world outside molds you as a couple slowly.

I've talked with lots of expats, this is common.

You have to be ready, both of you, to make a conscious effort to combat this, because it can destroy a relationship (and often does). Not only do you end up feeling alone and misunderstood all the time, but you can end up feeling your partner looks down on you as well, which doesn't help you cope- quite the opposite.

But if I was still in the US today, I would definately be thinking of leaving now, with the future presidential candidates we have!

If Trump becomes president, imagine him faced with Putin.
Goodbye america.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
It is terribly expensive though! Every time we go over the border we must be prepared to pay outrageous prices for anything. A coke at a cafe costs at least four euros.

It seems to me, for most europeans, that the happier the people claim to be, the less happy they show it outwardly!
The more comfortable and secure their life is, the more they feel the need to restrain their smiles and laughter to only those within their closest circle who they know well- outside that, they put a cold and harsh façade.

Bingo. THEY might be happy, but they wont be friendly to you. I can assure you that. Maybe to your wife but not to you.

Op, move to France, anywhere other than Paris the people are exceptionally friendly. or try Slovenia. The country is fairly rich, is STUNNING, the girls are beautiful and Llubljana is a little slice of heaven. The mountains and skiing are an hour away and everyone is super friendly. I dated a girl here for a year and i love that country.

SLOVENIA...not Slovakia

edit on 4-3-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

At this point it is still up in the air. It comes down to the presidential candidates. I hate to say any one person could drive me out of the country, but then there is trump...... eew. I will take my chances with Europe if he is elected.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Switzerland is beautiful and calm country. Everything is in order over there.
But America is freedom

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

But it is beautiful... others mentioned the "happy" factor, as it has been documented concerning general happiness with their lifestyle and all?

But you said you are partnered with a swiss person, so they might be slightly different (why they are with a foreigner, like my french husband who is a freak in France), but perhaps you have already had experience in their country a bit?

I tend to warn people thinking of changing countries that it will be harder than you think.
Not that it made any difference when I was leaving and I was warned by a few.....

It is not just language, but there could be subtle differences in culture that could drive you mad.
AND, if your partner is swiss, you will enter a totally different dynamic in relationship! You will be on their soil.
People will hear your accent and cut you off and turn to her and ask her what it is you want.
In these subtle ways, that continue all day, everyday, she will end up taking a more dominant role, even if it is not her desire. The world outside molds you as a couple slowly.

I've talked with lots of expats, this is common.

You have to be ready, both of you, to make a conscious effort to combat this, because it can destroy a relationship (and often does). Not only do you end up feeling alone and misunderstood all the time, but you can end up feeling your partner looks down on you as well, which doesn't help you cope- quite the opposite.

But if I was still in the US today, I would definately be thinking of leaving now, with the future presidential candidates we have!

If Trump becomes president, imagine him faced with Putin.
Goodbye america.

Absolutely agree!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinyDAWK

At this point it is still up in the air. It comes down to the presidential candidates. I hate to say any one person could drive me out of the country, but then there is trump...... eew. I will take my chances with Europe if he is elected.

We will welcome all trump refugees with open arms.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinyDAWK

We will welcome all trump refugees with open arms.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Or try Austria, very warm and helpful people, their doors are always open for strangers.
One of the most stunning nature sceneries in Europe(after Norway off course
) and they know how to make really good food and drinks(schnapps).

France is not bad either, depends what region, like the south is a no go for me. Preferable Franche comte or the Vosges region.
Back in high school i had a friend from Slovenia, he always had great stories about it( girls were one of them), never been there though.
edit on 7-3-2016 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

Or try Austria, very warm and helpful people, their doors are always open for strangers.
One of the most stunning nature sceneries in Europe(after Norway off course
) and they know how to make really good food and drinks(schnapps).

France is not bad either, depends what region, like the south is a no go for me. Preferable Franche comte or the Vosges region.
Back in high school i had a friend from Slovenia, he always had great stories about it( girls were one of them), never been there though.

Austria, Slovenia..2 countries i would gladly move to from the UK.

Speaking of Norway's stunning nature, i am going to see it myself in April....so excited.
edit on 7-3-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

There seems to be a decent amount of Brits already living here in Slovenia
If you appreciate nature you will find it to be a real gem, so diverse for such a small country and you can be on top of the mountain in the morning and bathing in sea in late afternoon.

It is also worth mentioning that you won`t have much difficulties with communication with people born after 1980 because after independence in 1991 English became primary foreign language in public schools so kids are being introduced to it very early at the age 9-11. Only thing I would recommend is to speak clearly and at a bit slower pace because people in general have difficulties with understanding British accent contrary to American. If you ask me, it all goes down to their cultural pressure. Films, TV series and cartoons were never synchronised and are still not, well except for some cartoons, so it is a part of growing up hearing and learning (American) English. Funny thing is that schools do in fact teach British English, the sayings and idioms and all about traditions and culture but there is hardly a comparison to what is being learned from the media. I guess kids always learn more from what they like compared to what they have to in school.

Here are a couple of testimonies from Brits living in Slovenia

And some more testimonies from people all around the world. I recommend watching these as it sums up life here quite well, at least the majority of lives...haha

Beauty comes with a price but it all depends on the individual I guess. If you want to know anything else, just ask...don`t be a stranger

edit on 7-3-2016 by Op3nM1nd3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Op3nM1nd3d

There seems to be a decent amount of Brits already living here in Slovenia
If you appreciate nature you will find it to be a real gem, so diverse for such a small country and you can be on top of the mountain in the morning and bathing in sea in late afternoon.

It is also worth mentioning that you won`t have much difficulties with communication with people born after 1980 because after independence in 1991 English became primary foreign language in public schools so kids are being introduced to it very early at the age 9-11. Only thing I would recommend is to speak clearly and at a bit slower pace because people in general have difficulties with understanding British accent contrary to American. If you ask me, it all goes down to their cultural pressure. Films, TV series and cartoons were never synchronised and are still not, well except for some cartoons, so it is a part of growing up hearing and learning (American) English. Funny thing is that schools do in fact teach British English, the sayings and idioms and all about traditions and culture but there is hardly a comparison to what is being learned from the media. I guess kids always learn more from what they like compared to what they have to in school.

Here are a couple of testimonies from Brits living in Slovenia

And some more testimonies from people all around the world. I recommend watching these as it sums up life here quite well, at least the majority of lives...haha

Beauty comes with a price but it all depends on the individual I guess. If you want to know anything else, just ask...don`t be a stranger

Hi mate. Thanks for the reply. I went out with a girl from Slovenia for over a year and flew out there every month to see her. I LOVE that country.

She took me to Bled, Kranj and many other places. As I said, stunning country and wonderful people.

And Lashko beer is still one of my favourites.

If it wasn't for my job I would suggest to my wife that we move there. Unfortunately, the cgi industry is very much centred around only a few cities, of which London is one if the main ones. So i need to be here in this overly expensive sh*t hole of a city.

I'd move to Llubljana tomorrow if I could. Lucky you

Don't get me wrong. . London is one if the best cities in the world but I've been here 30 years and the last 5 years things have gotten far too expensive. Even just getting noodles in a restaurant costs an arm and a leg. The only thing that's still cheap is food from a supermarket and fresh veg...which is great .

Where in Slovenia do you live and you are a Brit I take it?
edit on 8-3-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I`m actually a native here so it`s always nice to hear compliments about my country and I do agree with you, Laško is the best Slovenian beer so cheers to that
I live in the North part of the country close to the mountains but also close to Captial and if you look at it from broader perspective, everything is close and accessible in less than 4 hours drive.

Lately I have been quite surprised by the amount of foreigners visiting the country, mostly tourists but more and more decide to come and live here. As I said, country is very friendly to English speaking population because you got all your basic needs and more covered without learning a single Slovene word. Of course you will be most appreciated for the effort by the majority of people so you could say that in a way we are like Germans who love the fact of foreigners trying to learn their language and adopting their culture. But even if you don`t, there will come no harm to you.

Only problem is, like said in clips, bureaucracy and not just for people coming to live here but for all of us. Politics just sucks and there is a general notion that if you are politician you can always get away with murder. Too much corruption and really high tax rates compared to our salaries. Not just that but it`s tax after tax on every #ing corner to cover for their stealing and fallacies...at times it really boils to a point of thinking of leaving the country despite all its beauty and safety.

So my advice if you want to live with a peace of mind here, you have to have a job that earns you at least 1.5k euros NET per month, maybe less in some areas but in Ljubljana that`s sort of a comfort zone limit...well that is if you are average Joe and don`t need extra commodities. If you have children and pets and possibly mortgage and/or other loans, then you can double the amount. And to comapre it to earnings, let`s just say that the average NET salary for December 2015 (whole country) was 1.035,58 €. That is why most people think Slovenians are very family oriented...well of course they are but it`s not just love, you have to have 2 salaries in a household just to survive, lol. I`m telling you, the Gov is ripping us off...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I`m actually a native here so it`s always nice to hear compliments about my country and I do agree with you, Laško is the best Slovenian beer so cheers to that
I live in the North part of the country close to the mountains but also close to Captial and if you look at it from broader perspective, everything is close and accessible in less than 4 hours drive.

Lately I have been quite surprised by the amount of foreigners visiting the country, mostly tourists but more and more decide to come and live here. As I said, country is very friendly to English speaking population because you got all your basic needs and more covered without learning a single Slovene word. Of course you will be most appreciated for the effort by the majority of people so you could say that in a way we are like Germans who love the fact of foreigners trying to learn their language and adopting their culture. But even if you don`t, there will come no harm to you.

Only problem is, like said in clips, bureaucracy and not just for people coming to live here but for all of us. Politics just sucks and there is a general notion that if you are politician you can always get away with murder. Too much corruption and really high tax rates compared to our salaries. Not just that but it`s tax after tax on every #ing corner to cover for their stealing and fallacies...at times it really boils to a point of thinking of leaving the country despite all its beauty and safety.

So my advice if you want to live with a peace of mind here, you have to have a job that earns you at least 1.5k euros NET per month, maybe less in some areas but in Ljubljana that`s sort of a comfort zone limit...well that is if you are average Joe and don`t need extra commodities. If you have children and pets and possibly mortgage and/or other loans, then you can double the amount. And to comapre it to earnings, let`s just say that the average NET salary for December 2015 (whole country) was 1.035,58 €. That is why most people think Slovenians are very family oriented...well of course they are but it`s not just love, you have to have 2 salaries in a household just to survive, lol. I`m telling you, the Gov is ripping us off...

Let me ask you..last time I was there was in 2003. Have prices just rocketed up since then?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

Let me ask you..last time I was there was in 2003. Have prices just rocketed up since then?

The funny thing Is you might know my ex girlfriend. She is a Slovenian pop star. Lol

edit on 9-3-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Since introduction of Euro in 2007 prices have skyrocketed. Well perhaps I`m a bit overreacting but when we had Tolar it was awesome, now it feels like we are being exploited on every corner. But let me reassure you that with your Pound sterling you would do just fine here, if you kept your London income flowing in of course

Since 2003 though infrastructure in general has improved, historic landmarks and buildings are getting renovated and emissions got reduced and are now fairly contained so in this regard country got even greener and more appealing. Ljubljana was even named European green capital of 2016. Explains a boost in tourism...

Hehe a pop star, who is she?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Op3nM1nd3d

Sent you a private message

top topics

<< 1   >>

join