It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poverty up, services diminished in Chicago's black neighborhoods - study

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I saw it happen in Richmond by a guy who wanted to change his neighborhood. It beat him down.

Here is an interesting view from another person that was successful that quit their career to make a difference.

My year of terror and abuse teaching at a NYC high school

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Nobody builds businesses in black communities any more. Even blacks are afraid to invest in their own neighborhoods. It's a sad statement but even the grocery stores get run out by pilferage and having to hire permanent security. I saw it happen in Richmond by a guy who wanted to change his neighborhood. It beat him down.

There is wisdom in your post.

Europeans came to the North American continent in search of a better life. They didn't come to get handouts. They came and struggled and fought and died in order to build a better life. Where else to you see such advancement in history?

There are winners and losers. Period. This whole inclusive feel good movement is purposely founded on weakness. Not everybody wins. Everybody plays, but not all win.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: paradoxious

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: xuenchen

I wonder what **really** drives political/social programs?

Gotta keep the black man down.

Most people don't realize that the lack of jobs, education, social programs, the rampant gangs, drugs and alcoholism, missing parents, violence, cops brutality, are hard to overcome.

We expect people to rise above all that, maybe they aren't that strong. Are you?

Maybe.

But if the community can adjust itself, and take care of the missing parents, drugs and alcoholism, many of the issues with violence, gangs, and cops take care of themselves. Then you have a predominately stable community where focus can be better turned to education and jobs and thus reduce the need for many social programs.

That's not a community problem that's a individual problem. You people keep pointing at the community and expecting it to fix all these problems. ALL of their problems stem from lack of personal responsibility. You can't expect to escape poverty when You won't work or settle for minimum wage. Another point if parents pop out children and don't work toward that child's future then they are a major part of the problem. I know many people whom are to selfish to have children and continue to act like their lives haven't changed when they had a child. This world is totally screwed up so Why make it worse by bringing a child into this world that You don't love or don't care for.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: jkm1864

Lack of personal responsibility. You said it. Correct.

Some people are moving in celestial spheres. Most are down lower in the physical realm.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This must be that "systemic racism" Hillarry keeps going on about lately when pandering to black voters.

But how does Hillary explain away the fact that the victims of this alleged racism are overwhlemingly in long-time democrat donimated "systems"?
edit on 2-3-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Generation9

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Nobody builds businesses in black communities any more. Even blacks are afraid to invest in their own neighborhoods. It's a sad statement but even the grocery stores get run out by pilferage and having to hire permanent security. I saw it happen in Richmond by a guy who wanted to change his neighborhood. It beat him down.

There is wisdom in your post.

Europeans came to the North American continent in search of a better life. They didn't come to get handouts. They came and struggled and fought and died in order to build a better life. Where else to you see such advancement in history?

There are winners and losers. Period. This whole inclusive feel good movement is purposely founded on weakness. Not everybody wins. Everybody plays, but not all win.

Immigrants from Asia are yet another group that came here to seek a better life, and many have prospered in the academic and entrepreneurial realm. Intact family units, strong work ethics, and education are valued and used to succeed in their adopted country.

Some groups have indigenous gangs operating among their populations, but none have flourished and impacted their populace as the ones in Chicago.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Generation9
a reply to: jkm1864

Lack of personal responsibility.

Well that just solve's everything.

Congratulations, in one small sentence you've pinpointed the cause of poverty and suffering, which has existed ever since life on earth began.... how proactive of you.

Dude honestly, I hate to blow your mind and extremely simplistic perception out of what is...But back in the land of reality, the situation is far more complex than lack of "personal responsibility".

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
This must be that "systemic racism" Hillarry keeps going on about lately when pandering to black voters.

But how does Hillary explain away the fact that the victims of this alleged racism are overwhlemingly in long-time democrat donimated "systems"?

We had 8 years of Clinton in the White House to change systemic racism
Maybe it wasn't on their laundry list.

edit on 2-3-2016 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Idle hands are the devil's playthings.

Hard working people with jobs don't commit crimes, they're too busy and tired from working all day to go shooting up themselves or the neighborhood.

Here's the truth of the reality: you put these people to work, crime will drop. Period.

I think there ought to be a new civilian jobs corps created for everyone currently out of a job. Rather than give unemployment benefits and welfare to folks without jobs, put them to work. If you lose your job, you get 3 months to find a new one while getting some unemployment benefits. After that, you must work at least 20 hours per week. If, after 6 months you still don't have a job, you go to work full time for the civilian jobs corps. They would be out picking up the trash on the street, cleaning public buildings, cleaning off the graffiti, planting trees and food gardens so they can help to feed themselves, etc. There are a million things these folks can be doing, and if you work them 10-12 hours a day, trust me. There will be no energy left to commit crimes.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Its worst than you think.

Poor urban centers in America like parts of Chicago are wastelands of poverty.

You literally can’t see a store open for blocks. There are no more taverns, not even bars anymore.

They don’t even have liquor stores anymore in the hoods

They talk about the fall of crime.

Crime has fell because there’s no longer anything to steal in these neighborhoods

Black poor neighborhoods almost look like war zones

There are more abandoned houses than lived in homes.

It’s pretty bleak

edit on 2-3-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Garbage in, garbage out.

Studies link childhood lead exposure, violent crime

Last month, a Tribune investigation found that lead hazards are festering in the same parts of Chicago that have given the city a national reputation for violence and academic failure. In impoverished, crime-ridden neighborhoods like Austin, Englewood and Lawndale, more than 80 percent of the children tested in 1995 had dangerous lead levels.

Today those kids are in their early to mid-20s, when criminal behavior peaks.

Lead paint poisons poor Chicago kids as city spends millions less on cleanup

Some census tracts, smaller geographic areas within neighborhoods, haven't seen a case of lead poisoning in years. But children ages 5 and younger continue to be harmed at rates up to six times the city average in corners of predominantly African-American neighborhoods ravaged by extreme poverty, chronic violence and struggling schools, according to a Tribune analysis of city records. In more than a fifth of the city's census tracts, the rate of lead poisoning was higher in 2013 than it was five years earlier, the analysis showed.

Lead Poisoning Remains a Danger for Children in Chicago

In Chicago, the number of children with lead poisoning is four times the national average, and the problem is concentrated in our most distressed neighborhoods.

Chicago often tests water for lead in homes where risk is low

When Chicago officials tested household tap water for lead last year, they largely bypassed parts of the city that face greater risks of exposure to the brain-damaging metal, a Tribune analysis has found. Of the 50 homes tested, only three were on streets where the water main had been replaced during the past five years — work that federal researchers have found can cause alarming levels of lead to leach into tap water for weeks, months or even years afterward.

Chicago’s Lead Pipes: What You Need to Know

Thomas Powers, Chicago Water commissioner: The lead exists in what we call service lines that run from the water main into the home. And lead also exists in the home – in the fixtures, in some cases in the soder in the copper piping and in some cases in pipes inside the house.

Del Toral: When you disturb the line you knock off the protective coating within the service lines that actually prevent the lead from getting into the water. And so that is primarily what we found when we looked at all of the data. The lines that had been physically disturbed—and they can be disturbed in different ways—typically they had the higher lead levels.

Brackett: That's a problem in Chicago because Mayor Rahm Emanuel is replacing 900 miles of old water mains over the next decade. Each time a new water main goes in it gets reattached to the service lines into the home.

The surprising link between postwar suburban development and today’s inner-city lead poisoning

But the risk is not evenly distributed. Some Americans face a “triple whammy” of increased risk based on poverty, race, and place. Evidence dating back to the 1970s has shown that lead poisoning rates are higher in inner cities and low-income and minority neighborhoods than in white, affluent, and suburban neighborhoods. And although children’s blood lead levels have fallen significantly in recent decades, these disparities still exist.

My dissertation research shows that government-supported suburban development and racial segregation after World War II contributed to lead poisoning by concentrating minority families in substandard urban housing.

(Bolding by me)

Unfortunately, those who know the truth prefer to make it racial issue:

Federal housing policy leaves poor kids at risk of lead poisoning

At the federal level, a HUD spokesman said he could not explain why several attempts to overhaul the agency's lead poisoning standard have failed.

Legislation sponsored by Rep. Keith Ellison, a Minnesota Democrat, passed the House in 2008 but was never called for a vote in the Senate. Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton sponsored a similar bill that year while serving in the Senate; it also wasn't called for a vote.

As a young community organizer in Chicago, President Barack Obama fought to eradicate lead hazards in the Altgeld Gardens public housing project. HUD staff members have urged his administration to update the agency's lead standard, but such a change isn't included on the most recent list of federal rules planned during the next year.

(Bolding by me)
edit on 2-3-2016 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: paradoxious

You got that backwards. It begins with proper schooling, jobs and 'opportunity'.

Reducing services to communities are only effective to keeping them depressed.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

You sleep in the bed you make.

Their bed was made for them by the state. This thread is about one of those 'bed making' measure, cutting services.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:15 AM
link   
How can this be possible with Democrats leading the charge there? Should it not be a paradise?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
"From New Jersey to Wisconsin to Louisiana, GOP governors with their eyes on the White House have presided over unbalanced budgets, unfunded pension liabilities, credit downgrades and sluggish job growth."

www.cnn.com...

Budget cutting is a dinosaur even if it democrats.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Really???? You know sitting around complaining about the evil rich man is not going to put food on Your table. I was born into a really poor family which was broken btw and I moved out of poverty. I only had one option which was to go work in the oil and gas industry. If You don't know the oil and gas industry has problems finding qualified people because most people would rather whine and moan about their lot in life. Do You think I enjoyed working 84 hour weeks at MONTHS at a time without being able to see My family? Hell no I didn't like being away from home 9 months a year but I knew I needed to sacrifice so My child wouldn't have the messed up childhood I had. I also had a dead beat dad growing up and I also made the decision to stay with My child so She will have a better life. You can come up with all sorts of excuses but when the rubber meats the road it all boils down to personal decisions and actions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join