It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher Inspires Plan for Massive Pot-Smoking Protest at White House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

President Barack Obama may smell something familiar on April 2 when marijuana activists inspired by comedian Bill Maher host what they believe will be a massive act of civil disobedience in front of the White House.

The bold protest plan, announced Tuesday by the D.C. Cannabis Campaign, calls for reform advocates to gather on Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House on the Saturday. Speakers will demand that Obama reschedule marijuana without Congress, as he has the power to do, and pardon Americans jailed for marijuana crimes.

And then people will be invited to commit acts of civil disobedience.

To underscore the call for rescheduling marijuana, the protest's April 2 date was selected as a tongue-in-cheek rescheduling of the traditional April 20 pot holiday. Toke-up time, however, remains 4:20 p.m.

www.usnews.com...

I am not sure how the law in DC works now. Legalized pot passed, but as I understand, no stores exist and some law prohibits them from selling.

I think this may be an interesting event to get close to. You know, just breath deep and take it all in.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
9:3 "And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power."

It's the apocalypse!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Prediction:

Even though they will be breaking federal law, nothing bad will happen.
In fact, Obama will probably make a new executive order in favor.

This is the way policy is made these days, by the lawbreakers.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: burntheships
Prediction:

Even though they will be breaking federal law, nothing bad will happen.

This is the way policy is made these days, by the lawbreakers.

Sometimes you must break the law to expose it's stupidity.

I hope this works!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: burntheships

I sure hope so, it's beyond ridiculous that Cannabis is still Schedule 1. But I'm not gonna hold my breath, pretty sure it would be the first thing he's done in direct opposition to what big business wants.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Well that is just an awesome idea from Bill Maher. Genius really, what can they do? Either look the other way and enjoy the smoke or start going RoboCop commando on smoking hipsters live on camera in front of the WH. I think theyll go with #1 and I prat something comes of it. Nationwide decriminalization would be plenty. Along with rescheduling.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

There was something similar in my city years ago. Basically a lot of teens flaunting the law. Police didn't bat an eyelid. Although what they did do was eyeball faces and take registrations from the parking. Then yep, searched and pulled over lots of people for months afterwards. Only a fool would attend in my lowly opinion.
edit on 2-3-2016 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The only legal issue is smoking on public property unless they get permission from some nearby property owner. That is where civil disobedience comes in.

In November 2014, District voters approved the Legalization of Possession of Minimal Amounts of Marijuana for Personal Use Initiative (commonly known as Initiative 71). The new law becomes effective on February 26, 2015.

As a result, it is legal for a person who is at least 21 years old to:

Possess two ounces or less of marijuana;
Transfer one ounce or less of marijuana to another person who is at least 21 years old, so long as there is no payment made or any other type of exchange of goods or services;
Cultivate within their residence up to six marijuana plants, no more than three of which are mature;
Possess marijuana-related drug paraphernalia – such as bongs, cigarette rolling papers, and cigar wrappers – that is associated with one ounce or less of marijuana; or
Use marijuana on private property.
mpdc.dc.gov...

edit on 2-3-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Its not illegal in DC to smoke weed. This protest is useless.. Goto Harrisburg or something then it would be worth something but this protest is as useful as protesting for weed in Co.

And to prove my point..
News things.

Potential employers won't be able to test applicants for marijuana in D.C. until after they've made a conditional job offer under a bill approved by the D.C. Council.

The bill was approved unanimously Tuesday. It was sponsored by Council member Vincent Orange, who said district residents shouldn't have to worry about lost job opportunities just because they've smoked pot, especially now that the city has voted to legalize marijuana possession.

The bill would allow employers to test for pot after they offer someone a job as well as during employment. Because it's a local law, it doesn't apply to the federal government or to federal contractors.

The city's initiative legalizing pot possession is under congressional review and has yet to take effect.

edit on 3/2/2016 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I'll be there

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Although what they did do was eyeball faces and take registrations from the parking. Then yep, searched and pulled over lots of people for months afterwards. Only a fool would attend in my lowly opinion.

Thanks for pointing this out, think I'll take the metro to and from that event.

new topics

top topics

join