It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please ATS Members and Non-Members alike, STOP Blocking Ads- Or there may be NO ATS at ALL

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I have an ad along the top for Russian Brides and one along the right hand side for a website called polygamy.com

I have no idea - is this aimed at me or random?
Pretty sure I haven't looked at anything like this.
Hmmmm
edit on 2-3-2016 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

My OCD makes it a trap part a ti sekam DCO yM

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

OH MY

WOW, see that was the last thing on my mind, I just don't think that is what motivated TA to post this, he don't need no stinkin stars, seems he already has plenty,

carry on

edit on 2-3-2016 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels
I have an ad along the top for Russian Brides and one along the right hand side for a website called polygamy.com

Hmmmm

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Hmmmm

Hmm, the one on my right side says that dishwashers are threatening to bring about the apocalypse.

Someone really needs to make a thread on that, that is some scary stuff

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

Hmmmm

Hmm, the one on my right side says that dishwashers are threatening to bring about the apocalypse.

It does? That's funny

I don't see ads,

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

I'm really not joking lol
I certainly haven't looked or searched for that and it's the wrong sex, I'm a woman.
I'm guessing they can't be tailored specifically to us.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I have some big fluffy what looks like white clouds at the top.

I need to get a life.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Now I have a Muslim singles site and a trading 212 site.
They must rotate/change but iys a little alarming I'm getting all the singles sites and all showing me beautiful women.

I mean there was that one time at college with my room mate Lucy, but naw, they couldn't know about that?
Damn you NSA!!

edit on 2-3-2016 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

originally posted by: caterpillage

Hmmmm

It does? That's funny

I don't see ads,

Yeah that cause your rockin those rockin stats.

The adds here can be quite amusing at times though, I really don't mind them at all.

Now a redirect off the site to the App Store, that I have zero tolerance for.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor

originally posted by: Misterlondon

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
Why would I block ads? How else am I going to find horny singles in my area?

That comment made me laugh out load in room full of people and everyone just stopped what they were doing and looked at me.. lol...

[snipped]..

Wtf are you talking about?

edit on 3.2.2016 by Kandinsky because: snipped quote of removed post

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

He doesn't have as many as is displayed that's an age old bug where users registered before a certain date get an obscene amount of stars & flags.

Attention seeking is the only reason I can think for him posting when there was ALREADY a perfectly decent thread with active participation on the very subject. There was literally no need for him to create this thread and instead could have quite easily contributed to the already existing thread.

But when a thread is 8 pages long, it's better to create a new thread for your super duper opinion to be heard right ?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

a reply to: SkepticOverlord

You know what would be a good start?
Censor threads like this.
A thread like this is redundant.
Do you want to open the floodgates and have every clown on here making a thread about all of this?
Star and flag whoring, and the lameness of it....

You should make a thread asking for people to stop making threads!!

Your contribution to this thread... Wow.

Your contribution to this thread has been awful my friend.. you have actually made no significant contribution other than insulting other members. .

People in glass houses and all that..
edit on 2/3/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon
You wrote it, not me.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

While things are in transition and revenue streams are figured out, the very least you can do RIGHT NOW to help is to disable any ad-blocking software. The management has said many times that this is critical to help finance the tremendous costs of running this great site. It is big and takes a lot of resources.

Doesn't that go against your 1st amendment right, or 2nd or something like that?

THIS SITE IS BIG AND IT TAKES A LOT OF RESOURCES TO KEEP RUNNING.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? DO YOU?

Then stop what you are doing, RIGHT NOW, and disable your ad blocking software. Simply click "Disable ad-blocking on abovetopsecret.com"

There. Now, Don't you feel better? You did your little part. And even though that may still not be enough in the long run, at least you did that. And it would also help to actually CLICK on an ad that interests you either once in a while and go check it out.

I get it, you have put in an application to be a moderator (p.s. you'd fit right in with some of the others) and this is a first step requirement?

And to all you takers out there, yeah the ones that always just read and never or hardly ever start threads, how about considering contributing a thread once in a while? It takes that too to keep this site running. Or are you just going to keep taking and taking until there is nothing left to take?

Wow, taking is the American Dream though. It's what made your nation great and some want to take again to make your nation great again!

originally posted by: TrueAmericanNew trees have to be planted or the forest will die.

Forests are self-sustaining organisms. Find a better analogy like uh: site owners want more money to uphold their lifestyles...

originally posted by: TrueAmericanSo help. HELP, dammit. Stop just reading, and actually go out and get an interesting topic and bring it here, or write one yourself. Let's keep this site alive. At least, that's the way I feel. It is worth it.

An interesting topic would be how much profit the site owners are making compared to outgoings...

edit on 2-3-2016 by aorAki because: speling

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Man... I had a great time ignoring all those annoying ads with adblock but then it finally came to me and I understood what "Deny Ignorance" is all about.

Crap. Nope, I don't wanna play War Thunder again. And no... I don't need a fricken 24k Gold/ Copper/ Titanium foreverspin(TM) top either. I would even dare to doubt they could nearly spin half way though to forever. Never ever forever. Damnd, why don't those advertisers finally get a grip and fricken shoot themselves? Can I say that? Bill Hicks did so as well, it's his fault. And theirs, foremost.

*sigh*

Count me in, I already stopped blocking all those stupid ads on ATS yesterday as I saw it's a huge topic now. Not giving a sh!t about them works fine as well, as I just found out again.
Decent OP btw, thumbs up!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: theySeeme Wow. Finally some truth in all this banter. How do I turn on my adblocker again! Agenda creep can be seen in almost all advertising, for a site that claims to deny ignorance all you have to do is look at the banners. LOL banking can be this easy. My advice, sell your cloak and buy a sword, the hour is late.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
LOL,

The ad at the top of my (this) page right now is for an Ad Blocker.

It says "Tired of Adds All Over the Web? Try Ad Shield Ad Blocker for Free!"

I didn't click on in, though

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TommyD1966
LOL,

The ad at the top of my (this) page right now is for an Ad Blocker.

It says "Tired of Adds All Over the Web? Try Ad Shield Ad Blocker for Free!"

I didn't click on in, though

Now THAT is irony... take note Alanis Morrisette!!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: kenzohattori69

Skeptic already responded to that post.

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: stonerwilliam
I have never seen more than 300 or so people logged in ever conspiracy is dead bud

My informative post at the bottom of the previous page may be getting lost. So here it is again, to provide some clarity...

A bit more than a year ago, we engaged a professional IT management firm to review our full stack and recommend the most cost-effective hosting option, as well as optimization strategies for the stack. Most of the code optimizations have been either tested and discarded (trying to cache mysql queries was a disaster) or deployed. And we are running on robust but relatively inexpensive dedicated server. I have a low threshold for logging slow db queries, and check it regularly... there hasn't been any for months, so the code is well-optimized.

When people say, this site could be hosted for X, they typically don't consider some of the unexpected items for sites with more than four million distinct pages. One such item is search engine bots. On some days, more than half our overall total traffic can be non-human indexing agents, and it's never less than 30%. Looking at the live log right now, of the last 100 lines of access (which represents less than the last 5 seconds of activity), 70 are indexing agents. Each of those lines of the log from indexing agents is accessing a different thread page... that alone is 70 different queries against a database of 1+ million threads and 20+ million posts in less than 5 seconds.

Using our stats, we approached AWS, The Planet, and SoftLayer for quotes on a VPS solution. No one came in under $3,000/month. Google App Engine may have been a possible alternative, but looking at the datastore and processing cost estimates, it was going to be well over $2,000 a month. So it was more cost-effective to hire a professional IT firm to customize a high-performance dedicated server specific to our needs.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join