It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadliest Catch Star Sig Hansen Suffers Heart Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Founding member Sig Hansen, captain of FV Northwestern on the reality TV series "Deadliest Catch", is reported to be recuperating after suffering a mild heart attack. Details are emerging, but it appears he will make a full recovery barring any complications post procedures. A heavy smoker for years, coupled with a sedentary lifestyle may have laid the groundwork for this episode, according to his daughter Mandy.

There have been no press released how his MI will affect shooting schedules for the show. It has been reported that his duties on board the NW will fall to younger brother Edgar.

www.inquisitr.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

Wow! He was my favorite captain. I hope he has a speedy recovery!

edit on 2-3-2016 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Wow! He was my favorite captain. I hope he has a speedy recovery!

2 years ago I was invited to attend a charity function at his home in Ennis Arden, in Wash. State. I came away from the event impressed by what an ordinary Joe he is away from the show. My last hour at the event was spent having a few beers and smoking like they'd be banned tomorrow while discussing salmon fishing in the Sound. It was a fun evening.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Can't say I'm suprised, he smokes like a chimney.
Hope he recovers soon.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Sad to hear, hope he gets well

Second to Phil Harris he was my fave Captain

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I used to fly out to Dutch Harbor a lot in the old days and would always stop and have a beer at the Elbow Room. I was always amazed to see them come in all covered in ice and would congratulate myself for not choosing crab fishing as my career. I hope he recovers with no complications.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

Sad to hear, hope he gets well

Second to Phil Harris he was my fave Captain

Having watched the show since the first season, I've grown to like both as well. Shame about Phil's son, Jake, and his descent into drugs. The monies generated in the industry led many into frivolous spending, drugs included. In talking to Matt, a crew member on the FVNW(he's a regular customer of mine in the off season), coke was a major thing among the fleet in the 80s. Mandatory drug tests prior to cast off is the norm today, as liabilities are too great to jeopardize an operation.

I took my wife to CatchCon a few years ago, a convention that celebrates the series for fans. Some of the cast members appeared uneasy with the recognition the show generates, while others wore the celebrity jacket with ease. To go from being a boat captain/crew member to TV personality in a short span of time could be unnerving to anyone, I suppose.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Not Sig!

I was a Capt. Phil fan first, and that season where he passed away was completely gut wrenching. If we lose Sig and the Hilstrands, I'm not sure what's left to watch.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Can't say I'm suprised, he smokes like a chimney.
Hope he recovers soon.

This.

I can't believe the amount of punishment these guys go through.

Just seeing some of the early episodes with Jake Andersen when he was a greenhorn and then seeing how much older he looks after just a few years ... So much punishment. It sort of changes the way you look at that crab on your plate.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The captains on that show look like they don't sleep, don't eat,drink only coffee and breath only smoke.
Sure to be hard on the body when coupled with the stress of handling the crew and boat aswell as worrying if the season will be profitable.

Hope he recovers.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
RIP Phil.

Gone many years and still missed.

(post by rajeevgupta removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join