It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN's Van Jones, Jeffrey Lord launch into fiery debate - on Trump, KKK and race baiting in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Washington, D.C. (CNN)If the racial tension underlying the 2016 presidential race could be distilled into a single cable news moment, this was it.

On Tuesday night, CNN contributors Van Jones and Jeffrey Lord became locked in a fiery and emotional debate in which each accused the other side's party party of stoking racial tensions.

The extended debate, which was both passionate and personal, served as a microcosm of the national discussion over racial divisiveness and the increasingly negative tone of the presidential campaign.

"There's a lot of blame to go around for the tone of this campaign," David Axelrod, the chief strategist on Barack Obama's presidential campaigns, said when their intense but respectful on-air faceoff was over. "You're seeing a preview of it here."

The debate started when Jones, a Democrat, criticized Donald Trump for refusing to unequivocally condemn white supremacist David Duke and the Klu Klux Klan.

They continued the debate this morning on CNN. Jones asserting that Trump simply saying "I disavow" with regard to the KKK is a nothing more than a race-baiting dog whistle to white supremacists, as Cupp initially claimed to spark the debate. And that Trump showed a failure to lead by not taking the opportunity to speak out as loudly against the terrorism of the KKK over the years as he does about the dangers (his take not mine) of Muslims or Mexican immigrants. Lord rebutting that Jones even using that argument and assigning any motive whatsoever to Trump is also race-baiting.

I have to say, I think they are both right.

Certainly this election cycle has stoked racial tensions. Based on his divisive and calculated comments about Mexicans and Muslims, it's hard to give Trump the benefit of the doubt regarding the KKK comments. But, is Lord right in that the KKK shouldn't and - really - doesn't even matter in the year 2016, so why should Trump pay any lip service to it and the Left forcing a racial take on it rather than a practical take on it is, in fact, race baiting?

We have stopped taking each other at face value anymore and everyone is trying to pick apart what others say to suit their own confirmation bias. We see it on this board. A member will post an opinion and someone else will say it's racist, sending the discussion into a tailspin just like this exchange between Jones and Lord. Often the person who originally made the comment is floored by the observation of "racism". How you see it may well depend on your race or your political affiliation. So, is there any solution? How do we move past this era of politics?

More insight/commentary:

www.washingtonpost.com...

On the night of a primary, CNN is known for its comprehensive coverage of who won what, flashy graphics, stalling for time and open speculation about what the heck will happen next. Moments of passionate exchange are, perhaps, less common.

Yet during CNN’s Super Tuesday coverage, such a moment came when former Obama staffer Van Jones took on former Reagan staffer and Donald Trump supporter Jeffrey Lord in a heated debate about race, the Democratic Party and the Ku Klux Klan.

The trouble began when fellow contributor S.E. Cupp, a conservative, accused Trump of “crazy, dog-whistle policy proposals” to curry favor with prejudiced voters.

“Donald Trump has tried to otherize every other candidate in this race,” Cupp said, “… to sort of scare this very small part of the electorate who thinks that all of their problems are the fault of people who don’t look like them.”

Lord disagreed, questioning the purported freethinking of the GOP mainstream.

“I hate to say this about the Republican establishment, but their view of civil rights is to tip the black waiter five bucks at the country club,” Lord said. Trump, meanwhile, is “not going to patronize people.”

edit on 3/2/2016 by HoldMyBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Van Jones is a loon. Sure he may be intelligent, but he's still a loon. A 10-minute online search will prove it.
When Obama was elected, Jones said "The only other men in history who have generated this much enthusiasm
were Elvis and Michael Jackson."

When Obama appointed Jones the 'green jobs czar', Jones would rant for hours about how he was going to change "the broken system". Then he just quit. Seriously, the guy is unhinged.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Just another example of the media controlling the narrative. It's annoying how they talk over people trying to make a point.

I agree with Lord's sentiments about how we need to stop thinking in terms of race. The media itself has done well to exaggerate racism and is responsible for some of the division today, but he defeated the purpose by blaming the left for radicalism.

"The leftist terrorism..."-Lord

"You can put what ever label you want, that's your game to play." -Cupp

There's a good example of the pot calling the kettle black....pardon the pun.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Saw this debate this morning. Definitely, getting to the "kitchen sink" phase of the election cycle.

I'm 40 and barely old enough to remember who David Duke is. I honestly can't think of anyone outside of the media who ever reference what he says.

And despite a supposed resurgence of the Klan since the Obama election, is there anyone under the age of 55 even in it anymore? There were a couple of mid 30s good 'ol boys that i was aware of being Klan members, but this was mid eighties when i was a child.

As far as the neo-Nazi and skinhead groups, they are more of a concern from being younger, quite violent, and,according to a friend of mine who had ties to them through an OBC, are almost totally infiltrated by undercover ATF, FBI, and Confidential Informants.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: HoldMyBeer

So, is there any solution? How do we move past this era of politics?

When folks stop responding to the dog whistles and stop letting them divide us. When folks understand we really are all in this together. When we stop fighting each other and fight those who put us in this position.

When we can put aside our egos and stand together for the common and greater good.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: HoldMyBeer

So, is there any solution? How do we move past this era of politics?

When folks stop responding to the dog whistles and stop letting them divide us. When folks understand we really are all in this together. When we stop fighting each other and fight those who put us in this position.

When we can put aside our egos and stand together for the common and greater good.

It's not going to happen. .. listen to AM radio. The right wing politics of hate and division Ala Rush, Coulter, Beck, Hannity, Bork, Levin, Savage, Fox, etc. Have a vested interest in maintaining the current paridime. They have a HUGE audience! !!!!

You reap what you sow
edit on 2-3-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Van Jones is a buffoon. He didn't seem to mind Obama giving the eulogy at Robert Byrd's funeral. You know, the Democrat Senator and Speaker of the House who was actually a Klan member.

The klan is about as relevant today as Vanilla Ice. Heck, they weren't even that relevant when I was growing up in the south in the 70s / 80s. I remember David Duke and no one took him seriously then, just like no one takes him seriously now. Trying to tie him to Trump is comical.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

It's not going to happen. .. listen to AM radio. The right wing politics of hate and division Ala Rush, Coulter, Beck, Hannity, Bork, Levin, Savage, Fox, etc. Have a vested interest in maintaining the current paridime. They have a HUGE audience! !!!!

Way to burst my bubble you!!!

I know what you're saying. But I used to be a talkradio junkie. Listened to it all day... all night... woke up to it and went to sleep to it. Had two radios tuned to talk radio and one or both were on all day (until I had to turn it off when hubby got home.... Coast to Coast was okay though!). Not because I liked what I was hearing, but because it kept me informed. Or so I thought. But they lost me for good in the 08 election season.

If I can learn better, anyone can!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Ummm...did you actually read what you just posted...?

I thought you were more intelligent than that...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Van Jones is a buffoon. He didn't seem to mind Obama giving the eulogy at Robert Byrd's funeral. You know, the Democrat Senator and Speaker of the House who was actually a Klan member.

The klan is about as relevant today as Vanilla Ice. Heck, they weren't even that relevant when I was growing up in the south in the 70s / 80s. I remember David Duke and no one took him seriously then, just like no one takes him seriously now. Trying to tie him to Trump is comical.

Not to mention that Jones is/was openly a Communist ...

In October 2005 Jones said he was "a rowdy black nationalist" before the King verdict was announced, but that by August of that year (1992) he was a communist.

Van Jones - more than just another Democrat

I watched an interview yesterday with David Duke (by Alan Colmes a very liberal talking head)...wherein he seemed genuinely perplexed by the firestorm being aimed at Trump. He said that he did not "endorse" Trump because there are lots of things that Trump stands for that he doesn't agree with...he simply blogged that he intends to vote for Trump, because he agrees with his position on illegal immigration and a couple of other things.

He also said that he does not understand why the automatic association was made with the KKK, because he quit that organization more than 40 years ago - because he did not agree with their violent tendencies. Not sure how true that is...but that's what he said.

My personal favourite part of the exchanges between Jones and Lord, were when Jones finally had to admit that the KKK was originally formed by radicals within the Democrat Party.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...did you actually read what you just posted...?

I thought you were more intelligent than that...

YouSir

If you are unable to cognitively absorb my words; then ......

Show me how I'm wrong, then we'll talk. ad hominem's only show desperation in a debate. Much like in the GOP "debates"

edit on 2-3-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Ummm...for starters for every AM vast right wing conspiracy station there's an Msnbc...CNN...CBS...New York Times...etc...

I just naturally assumed you were more balanced in your approach to infotainment...and not quite so partisan...

I've always thought you more intelligent than that is all...matter of fact I know you are...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...for starters for every AM vast right wing conspiracy station there's an Msnbc...CNN...CBS...New York Times...etc...

I just naturally assumed you were more balanced in your approach to infotainment...and not quite so partisan...

I've always thought you more intelligent than that is all...matter of fact I know you are...

YouSir

Thanks for that!

There's just something about Fascists that rub me the wrong way!!
edit on 2-3-2016 by olaru12 because: $&^R^&RHHJ

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
This has been all over social media and news sites today and CNN tonight. CNN brought back Van Jones to continue arguing his point but not Jeffrey Lord. Don Lemon.
Talk about a race baiter.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Jeffry Lord must get his talking points from some certain members of ATS....

KKK is the Democratic party's paramilitary force? Laughable...welcome to 2016 Jeffry...The KKK isn't affiliated with the Democrats anymore and Republicans sure as hell ain't the party of Lincoln anymore.

join