It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a possible solution to cover overhead and profits?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
FWIW
I'm not up to speed on the rules and regulations with online ad compensation, so I'm not sure if this is even allowed as a method to generate hits? However, I thought I would ask and see if its a happy medium for everyone?

We all hate ads for the obvious reasons (annoyance factor, malware,etc) , but we also know that they are a necessarily evil to cover overhead.

A big problem with ads is that they disrupt the users experience while immersed on the content they are viewing . So why not give ATS members control on how and when to view the ads in order to minimizing the impact to their users experience?

Create a button that users click when a newly created ATS indicator flag turns Yellow , that brings up a page with ads. That way the ads don't disrupt the users experience while immersed on the content , but still be able to generate income for the site.

Once the user clicks the button and a page full of ads are displayed their ats flag goes back to green. If the flag goes to Red than the user is served ads while reading content.

1. Create a [Click me to Support ATS for free] button.

2. User could have new ATS profile indicator that would be green,yellow,red to indicate when they need to hit the button.

3. Users would click the button before turning red and it would reset it back to green after each click.

4. The button would bring up a page of ads , pop ups, or a content embedded with adds or whatever.

5. If the ATS profile indicator goes red the user gets served ads in their content.

I think that would be the best bet for everyone. ATS gets the ad views and the users don't get disrupted or annoyed when reading content.

Also I currently don't get ads based on the ATS algorithm as it appears, However, I would be ok with getting ads in order to spread the ads across evenly and more tolerable for everyone.

Great community and would hate for it to go away.

edit on 37331America/ChicagoWed, 02 Mar 2016 08:37:13 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42
I like your idea

I don't get any ads either, not sure why.

Only thing I use is pop-up blocker that comes with IE. Is that considered an ad blocker?

Although all I ever go to are new threads and recent posts.

I would have no problem viewing ads occasionally if it would help out ATS. It is the first site I visit EVERY day.

I would not however pay for any subscription.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I like this idea. I'm not sure if it was you that brought this up in the other thread but I seconded it there as well.
I'd have no problem viewing some ads here and there (like I do at a place like Hulu, or whatever) to help out the site.

I don't currently see ads either, but like you, would be willing to forego my current "status" as someone who doesn't see ads to help spread the load.

Unlike others though, I have no problem paying a small subscription fee so I don't have to see the ads....so.

But I think this idea is a good one and am interested in hearing from the ownership about how/if this could work.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

I like this idea. I'm not sure if it was you that brought this up in the other thread

Thanks yes it was me but after posting in two threads I didn't hear anything in regards to it. So I posted here to see if its just a stupid idea or a possibility.

I think this idea is a good one and am interested in hearing from the ownership about how/if this could work.

Me too.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Sorry, just couldn't remember who it was right off the top. I read pages and pages of ideals yesterday, so it escaped me.
Nice idea!

I think we're going to have to give SO a bit of time before we get some answers to some of these questions. He seems to have stepped away later in the evening yesterday and doesn't seem to have returned yet. I think it was getting overwhelming for him.

I have no problem waiting...others are acting like the site's going to put up a paywall before lunch....lol

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

No worries,

I think we're going to have to give SO a bit of time before we get some answers to some of these questions

Absolutely, I think people were being a little harsh yesterday for a probing thread. He has a great site and has done an outstanding job running it, so we should be patient.

However in the real world when questions are asked as those, its typically too late and a done deal. So I can see why some could have gone a little bit overboard on their reactions.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that they were just glazing over the fact that no one is saying there is going to be a paywall. The subscription is just for ad free (possibly accelerated...mostly due to not having to load the ads) service.

The ones making an uproar and being overly harsh seem to have a reading comprehension problem and all they see is "you will pay to view the site" vs what is really being said. Of course, problems with reading comprehension seem to be an everyday thing here, so I'm used to it from some....lol

I don't know if it's a foregone deal or not, but it was that way when donations were asked for it seemed.
I actually feel like I haven't done my part by donating, but I honestly didn't realize they were this hard up. Getting a subscription (that only I know about...I don't want others knowing because I don't want to see a two tier thing happen here) or, when I can't afford it that month, viewing ads, is not a big deal to me. A few dollars a month/year is the least I can give back to a site that has given me so much over so many years....many more than this singular profile can account for. I was here for years before I ever even signed up and started posting.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I was hoping by now that some knowledgeable members or mods would have been able to answer the question by now?

Is it possible to generate ad income utilizing the method described on the thread?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
One of my forum hosting sites offers this solution:

Ad Removal Info
Minimum Purchase: $5
Current rate: $0.15 per 1,000 page views.
Expiration: Ad removal credits do not expire.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I don't know this for a fact. However, it is my understanding that you are not allowed to put any kind of button or link on your site that attempts to manipulate your visitors' experience with the advertising display stream. If you do then you won't get paid for any advertisement. And you may lose your ability to display ads in the future.

That's just my understanding. I don't have a link.

-dex

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

I don't know this for a fact. However, it is my understanding that you are not allowed to put any kind of button or link on your site that attempts to manipulate your visitors' experience with the advertising display stream

Yeah I'm not sure either , hence I asked?

However, if that were true it still could work via automation versus a button click or even instead of a button it could be thread full of advertisements?

The users could still be given notification via the green,yellow,red status indicator.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I think if it were automated that would be okay. In fact that's what's happening now. Some members are served up a different quantity of advertisements based on their "qualifications."

But I did some research and it looks like there are a few limitations in Google AdSense that might make any "abnormal" browsing behavior suspect. Link

I don't know which service ATS is affiliated with. I think at one time it was Google. In any event, I get the impression that it might be quite easy to get banned if the website owners don't strictly toe the line.

Just my humble opinion.

-dex

top topics

join