It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey Question: Which rights can you give up?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: centarix

The right to work. 
The right to food. 
The right to health care. 

I would "give up" these since I don't think of them as protected rights. None of them are liberty issues anyway.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

At the risk of dragging on your desert island example, Charlie is entirely right in that all rights are only good if society protects them. The right to property is not the same as being able to defend the bit of land you are standing on. The right to be armed is not the same as the ability to make a weapon.

All rights require a social contract, not just positive ones.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: centarix

our rights have already been gone, through the pc movement and other similar movments. I will hold on to whatever i can keep just based on principle.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
None, and also, some already sliced away, BACK. The only things to give up are their alleged and hotly disputed right to rip us off, steal from us, commit fraud, lie, mismanage, and abuse us, their bosses.
edit on 2-3-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
None, and also, some already sliced away, BACK. The only things to give up are their alleged and hotly disputed right to rip us off, steal from us, commit fraud, lie, mismanage, and abuse us, their bosses.
I believe most people give up their right to remain silent at traffic stops. If the police officer asks how your day is going, you don't remain silent on that one do you?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: centarix

originally posted by: Unity_99
I believe most people give up their right to remain silent at traffic stops. If the police officer asks how your day is going, you don't remain silent on that one do you?

I always just speak naturally as if I'm talking to a person that is doing his job, and try to be helpful. However if one of them ever asks me, "do I understand" would reply, no I do not stand under you, you're my direct employee, and I'm one of the collective citizen employers of all that is. You stand under me, so hope you're having a good day and all is well!"

As long as the person, whether police, teacher, government official, whomever you are dealing with, is doing something correctly, admirably, etc, then being helpful is always the right thing to do. Trying to assist those in need, including those doing their jobs. Some of their jobs are probably stressful. Making things as pleasant as possible is always good, good in doctor's offices too. But if they're standing on the wrong side of the fence and trying to act in a rogue capacity, you need to be polite, but not follow bad orders.
edit on 2-3-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I don't understand the right to work. You have a right to a job? What about your pay threshold? Can you force that upon a company? What about the American way of entrepreneuring for work? I shouldn't be forced to hire some turd that is going to bring by business down. Injury on the job is THE major problem I have and have to protect myself from. Some people are just not fit to work to help make a business profitable.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join