It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aviation trivia quiz.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66

One. YA-10B N/AW.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: waynos
a reply to: Semicollegiate

Was it to stand up in the cockpit holding the control column with your knees?

And the Fokker DVII?

What was the only US built aeroplane to see combat in WW1?

Right

Right, and the Fokker D VIII monoplane too I think.

A Curtiss most likely. It was pretty much a like a Nieuport. Not sure.

I thought I read that Curtiss built Nieuports under license, maybe modified.

General Scott, who wrote "God is My Copilot", bought a Curtiss "Jenny", assembled it and learned to fly in it.

Everyone had more money in relation to the economy as a whole back then. Pre 2000% per hundred years inflation.

edit on 2-3-2016 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
What mechanical phenomenon ruined all of the propeller VTOL projects?

Tried to remember this from all of the "Wings" shows I saw. I thought it was tooth cracking, nerve stretching vibration.

Jets and rockets had that problem too.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Ok although this is supposed to be a trivia quiz,there is only one contender for the most beautiful aircraft aver made.I'll probably be burnt at the stake as a heretic for not saying the Spitfire,but of course it can only be the Super Constellation......

Taken at Chino last year and the only aeroplane I've ever wanted to lick (LOL).

Next trivia question.What is specific about how the windows are fitted into modern control towers?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx
Ok although this is supposed to be a trivia quiz,there is only one contender for the most beautiful aircraft aver made.I'll probably be burnt at the stake as a heretic for not saying the Spitfire,but of course it can only be the Super Constellation......

Next trivia question.What is specific about how the windows are fitted into modern control towers?

They don't reflect the sun into pilots eyes?

The control tower windows all face down.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Semicollegiate

originally posted by: Imagewerx

They don't reflect the sun into pilots eyes?

Sort of,but they're more concerned about the air traffic controllers getting an uninterrupted view.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Eric 'Bubi' Hartman correct, most were in the Eastern Front and he survived the war
Johny Johnson and Richard I Bong were the highest British and American Aces...

Red Baron and Werner Voss did a lot of damage in the Great war and recently it was proven that he was shot down by an australian machine gun crew.

If I recall correctly the SE-5 has a rail to pull the Lewis from top of the wing to the cockpit and that's were you changed the drum....

wild guess 'Zeppelins'

edit on 2-3-2016 by manuelram16 because: added wild guess

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
Eric 'Bubi' Hartman correct, most were in the Eastern Front and he survived the war
Johny Johnson and Richard I Bong were the highest British and American Aces...
Red Baron and Werner Voss did a lot of damage in the Great war and recently it was proven that he was shot down by an australian machine gun crew.
If I recall correctly the SE-5 has a rail to pull the Lewis from top of the wing to the cockpit and that's were you changed the drum.
first time a hear about the outlawed plane....

Flak massacred air support at the start of WWII, especially at the Sedan Bridgehead.

The Red Baron had a trophy cup made for each kill. He wasn't good at landing, he broke a leg learning to fly.

Bong could aim his guns by varying the throttles of his twin engine P-38 Lightning, so as to fight in a turn with a Zero. He died test flying a jet in 1944.

Good guess about the Zeppelins, I think wrong though, because of the Hindenburg Disaster.

The Fokker D-VII was specifically outlawed, and I think the Fokker D VIII monoplane also, in the Treaty of Versailles.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Has to be 'Harmonic induced oscillation' I think I read about it in enginehistory.org, excellent site for aircraft nuts like myself. The Props of Radials used to fly off one way and the Engine the other way at the bench testing facilities.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The US built aircraft that saw combat in WW1 was the AIRCO DH4 built under licence by Dayton-Wright and Boeing. It stayed in US service until 1932.

What other aircraft, specifically, links the Canadair CL-28 Anti submarine aircraft and the Short Belfast freighter and why?

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

As well as battlestaff and updated communications allowing control of missiles and bombers.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm probably dating myself, but, I remember when the TACMO aircraft were C-130s. They had a pair of trailing wire antennas that allowed it to broadcast Extremely Low Frequency radio waves to submerged missile subs. I was working towards getting orders to this squadron when I banged up my shoulder and got discharged. Does the E6-A have these antennas?

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: waynos

Here's a wild guess: the Bristol Britannia?

What was the first air disaster to exceed 50 fatalities?

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby
Hindenburgh

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Similar, but the Hindenburg wasn't even the 3rd deadliest disaster of it's type...
edit on 3-3-2016 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

USS Akron

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Closer still, but while she was the deadliest airship accident, the first occurred about a decade earlier, though the circumstances were definitely similar...

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Two. They have a large one that deploys from behind the main landing gear, and a small one that deploys from under the tail, just above the APU exhaust.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Dixmude. December 1923.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The L70 class was an early fascination of mine.

They were basically dieselpunk stealth bombers, in my eyes. The AARS of their time, in terms of cost, complexity, and capabilities...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join