It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aviation trivia quiz.

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Yep. I thought this was a good pic because it hid the jet intakes.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Ok here's one.

Which prototype fighter aircraft built and flown in the 1980's used over 10,000 parts that had already seen a lot of supersonic service time in 3 different other aircraft?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stngray
a reply to: FredT

Yep. I thought this was a good pic because it hid the jet intakes.

LOL and I was thinking man that would have been easier if I could see the top of the aircraft

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx
I reckon Zaph will know this one,I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't.What was a sort of standing joke in the USAF about a failed PAR (Precision Approach Radar) type of landing?

If you've never listened in one of these,it's what they do when amongst the things the ILS isn't working.The radar controller talks them in from 30 or miles out like this.........'XXXXXXX you are 30 miles from touchdown,on glideslope,on centreline'. 'XXXXX you are 29 miles from touchdown,on glideslope,slightly left of centreline' etc etc until they're on the runway.

The joke is along the lines of 'At the end of a PAR talkdown,I broke cloud cover.........'

Come on guys.Surely one of you must have a had a PAR talkdown that didn't go as planned?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBogmonster
Ok here's one.

Which prototype fighter aircraft built and flown in the 1980's used over 10,000 parts that had already seen a lot of supersonic service time in 3 different other aircraft?

F-20?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Stngray

Not a bad guess but afraid not

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBogmonster
I'm going with the YF-23. My father worked for Northrop at the time and I remember him mentioning they used parts from other McDonnell Douglas and Northrop aircraft

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Benzer

Sorry , another good guess but incorrect , first YF-23 flight was 1990 if memory serves and I know they did use a lot of second hand parts.

a few more clues : the prototype was single seat, used some extremely innovative constructive methods (carbon polymer compounds, Aluminium - lithium alloys) it was taken to Mach 2 and 60,000+ feet on a number of occasions, and could maintain 38 Deg AoA at low speeds (amazing then and pretty good even now) and ended up as an exhibit.

And it did lead to a fully operational combat proven platform

edit on 3004America/Chicagob20164092016906 by TheBogmonster because: additional clues

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Su-35.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Sorry matey, it's a western aircraft and the platform tbat evolved from it is one of the very few that can outperform an SU-35

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
F-15 Eagle.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

EAP.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I would say the X29, although that was experimental rather than a prototype I seem to recall.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBogmonster
Ok here's one.

I'd be tempted to say XFV-12, but that was 70's and never flew, so I'll go for the BAe EAP.. I know it used a lot Tornado architecture, esp in the fuselage, but I dunno what else.
edit on 4-10-2016 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Not Tacit Blue? I always heard they used a ton of off the shelf stuff to slap that puppy together.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   

And the winner is Stingray with EAP!

EAP was a technology demonstrator constructed mainly by BaE to demo and prove many of the conceots and tech, design and philosophy that matured and became the Eurofighter Typhoon.

The airframe was constructed in many sections, each wing was made using a slightly different construction technique and at the time the methods of manufacture were a world's first (especially the canars foreplanes).

The UK government contributed in excess of £80million to help BaE fund R&D and to ease costs (the cutting edge manufacture was very expensive) many components were used from aircraft that had seen service with the RAF as test airframes.

Parts of rear fuselage and almost an entire tailfin were from a Tornado ADV, engines were modified and uprated RB199's one from a Tornado F3 and one from a Tornado GR1 used to test the new F3 engines. Some actuators and cockpit instrumentation was also obtained from other Tornados (although most of the cockpit was a new design)All of these parts has performed many supersonic hours and were used because they were known to be in excellent condition and extremely reliable.

The complete prototype exceeded expectations, it was evident they had a winner on their hands, mach 2 and 60,000ft was quite easy even with the older engines. The airframe first flew in 1986 and flew over 200 times before being retired in 1991, it's now a technology training exhibit at Loughborough University engineering department.

I was lucky enough to watch EAP display at Farnborough airshow and I can tell you it shocked a few American and Russian aircrews from it's first takeoff.

It course was developed into the Typhoon which is generally rated to be the nearest airframe to an F22 when it comes to air superiority. It's combat proven now and is performing well in iraq and Syria and is a superb interceptor over the North Sea meeting Russian TU160's on a regular basis.

Upgrades are planned , new engines, sensor fusion and data exchanged has existed since day 1 and is planned to be brought into line to share data with F35's for the UK.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
EAP Farnborough Airshow debut, September 1986, I was there and believe me it was an epic take off, made a good few seasoned pilots nod in approval!

And a lovely inflight shot, the Typhoon's Daddy was a pretty bird

I forgot to add that the EAP has now been reassembled and is on display at the RAF museum Cosford, very close to another wonderful prototype the TSR 2

edit on 3112America/Chicagob2016121020161006 by TheBogmonster because: .

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
What was unique about the Bell X-2's nose gear door?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
What is this? I blacked out the Blackbirds tail number to maybe slow you down a bit.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

It was called "Big Tail". It was testing ECM equipment that didn't work.

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join