It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aviation trivia quiz.

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
How was the XP-38A different from the other P-38s?

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Stngray

Didn't they try counter rotating props on the XP?

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   

"Y" was a prototype designation, "X" was "Experimental". Didn't the "Bomber Mafia" want a fighter that could fly at a greater altitude?

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Pressurized cockpit. They tried using engines that rotated in opposite directions along with propellers that were made for the direction of rotation. It worked fine, but the headaches of maintaining them in the supply system outweighed the benefits.

Now I need to go. I have a ride in a B-25 in about an hour.
www.visitbutlercounty.com...
edit on 16-8-2016 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Have fun. That's a blast to ride on, but damn I hated the engines at idle.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Got it.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I've rode in them before, several times. The engines don't bother me. I spent a better part of five years on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

That ground idle was weird as hell for me. Every engine I ever was involved in running was smooth as hell, and didn't make any weird noises. To hear that damn thing popping and making those noises was nervous making.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

That's a radial engine for you. At idle they have to run rich so you get some post cylinder detonations when the exhaust gets to a point where there is enough oxygen for the unburned fuel to detonate.
The reason for much of the vibration is the way that the radial engine is designed. There is a vibration dampening system, but, it is only effective at a higher RPM range.

If you think a B-25 is bad, you should have been around one of the Navy's C-1A Traders. They were being phased out when I went in, but, several were still around. One of my Chiefs had worked on them, so when one landed at NAS Jax he got called over to look at it and took me along. My first time around a radial, scared the hell out of me until the Chief explained what was going on and why.

One thing to remember about a radial engine, they tend to throw oil when they start. It is usually in a circle that is concentric with the prop arc, just behind it, as wide as the cylinder bank and out to about 30 feet.

Several years ago I worked at a local County airport. We had an old Howard that had been in a hanger for about 40 years. Finally a guy bought the plane and I helped him get it ready for a ferry flight. Word of the flight got out and one of the local television reporters wanted to do a report about it. The County was always looking for good publicity, so it was approved. The day of the flight, there were several people and several politicians there mugging for the camera. We are just getting ready to start the engines, when I notice the Mayor of a nearby town standing in the area that I mentioned. I warned her to move, but, I got the old "Do you know who I am?" bit. I looked at the pilot and shrugged my shoulders, he shrugged his and gave the signal that he was starting the engine. The started turned the prop, the engine coughed and then fired up. I looked at the Mayor and almost hurt myself choking back the laughter. She had on a pale blue pants suit, now it was pale blue with black and brown spots. She glared at me and stormed off. It took the pilot ten minutes to compose himself enough to taxi the aircraft and take off. I asked the camera guy if he got that and he laughed.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
In 1909, the 3 Short brothers of the U.K. license built the then Rolls-Royce of aircraft from the 2 Wright brothers in the USA. In 1910, during a flight demonstration, the tail separated from one of these airplanes, killing its pilot. This was the 1st fatality in the UK in a powered aircraft. Who was the pilot? No google! Everything you need is in this post.
edit on 17-8-2016 by Stngray because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

We had a B-57 come through, old school original. He got ready to start and my father says, "Watch this". He used the original cartridge start so there was a BOOM and huge black cloud of smoke goes flying. About three guys on the ramp ducked and a couple looked freaked out.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

The only reference that I ever saw for a cartridge start was in the movie "Flight of the Phoenix".

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Oh it's funny as hell. There's a loud bang and a black cloud of smoke goes flying. That was the first one that I ever saw in person, and even expecting it it was startling.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I love that scene.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

The F-14 is the one that got me. I was on the USS Independence in the Indian Ocean. The Air Wing was putting on a little air show around the boat when they announced that an F-14 was going to do a supersonic fly-by. I was in the Hangar Bay and didn't have time to go up to the Flight Deck, so I went out on one of the sponsons. Just as I get out there I can see the Tomcat silently passing by the ship. A few seconds later the shockwave shows up and knocks the air right out of me. I go back into the Hangar Bay and the Chief that I work for looks at me, shakes his head and laughs. "You'll know better next time!" The surface of the water and the way that the hull of the ship is angled concentrates the force of the shockwave on the sponsons.
edit on 17-8-2016 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

One of our -135s caused quite a few shorts to need changing. We were prepping it for a flight the next morning and had to do an engine run. By the time it was ready to run it was evening, so it was getting dark. We fired up the engines, and suddenly hear the guy on the comm cord yelling "SHUT IT DOWN! SHUT IT DOWN!" so the throttles get yanked back quickly. Everything in the cockpit was normal, so up the throttle goes again, followed by the same thing.

A minute or so later, we hear, "The Chief says it's just St Elmo's Fire, you're good to run". The humidity in Hawaii is so low that no one had ever seen it before, and it totally freaked them out. It was dancing around the intake as the engine was running, caused by the fan blades building up a charge as they turned.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Charles Rolls

Now, is anyone gonna answer my question?

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: waynos

A330? Didn't the MD-11 originally have them, but it fell through?

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: waynos

Bingo. Don't know the answer to your last question.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Here's a photo I took of a Hawker Hunter cartridge start a couple of years ago. It looks decidedly worrying, despite being completely normal

edit on 17-8-2016 by waynos because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join