It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aviation trivia quiz.

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: vivtho

Perfect. I was just gonna post the answer too.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
What's the largest sea plane ever built?

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The Spruce Goose?

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Wingspan wise, but not overall size.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
An easy one to get the ball rolling ....

What do the General Electric J85 used on the F-5 Tiger and Rolls Royce Viper used on the Aermacchi MB-326 have in common with the MiG-25's R-15 engines?

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

All were originally designed for cruise missiles?

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

All were originally designed for cruise missiles?

Right in one! Because of their planned low life expectancy they were all designed to be 'disposable'.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Saro Princess? Shorter span that Spruce Goose but a pretty vast multi deck flying boat.

Actually, if we are including flying boats in the definition sea plane, I'll include ekranoplans too and nominate the Caspian Sea Monster

Otherwise I'd say the largest seaplane (def. aeroplane with floats instead of wheels) is the Blohm und Voss Ha139
edit on 25-7-2016 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   

edit on 7/25/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: waynos

I saw one when we were overhauling an older Merlin for installation in a Mustang. It was listed as an RAE restrictor in the manual. One of the older gentlemen that I was working with called it "Miss Shilling's Diaphragm", when he was explaining it's purpose.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

There were a few different variations, all of them with rude connotations

How did Boeings test pilot persuade P&W to treat the engine fires on the early 747 seriously, after feeling the company were dragging their feet?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: waynos

Ok. You got me! How?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
What was that jet that crashed on Long Island my buddy told me he was 150 feet from it. He said he was 12, and now he's 83....

He told me he played on the hay piles out in that field and one day he thought the germans had attacked. since he saw a movie news reel on the germans new "jet"....he thought the one he saw was a German invasion.

So I asked when he looked over to see it coming in....he said no, I looked up....almost close enough to touch.....and he was on top of the haypile....a Grumman something
edit on 2-8-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Boeing felt that P&W were dragging their feet somewhat resolving an issue they were having where the JT9D would basically blow up under full throttle, with the company saying there was no problem and they were freak occurrences.

Knowing exactly what conditions were causing this to happen Jack Waddell invited the president of P&W along for a ride in the new jumbo, wherein he deliberately throttled the no1 engine until it blew up. To prove this was a known issue, not a freak, he then subsequently blew up no2 to prove it and asked if blowing up no 3 as well was necessary?

It was not.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Martin Mars?

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stngray

Martin Mars?

Second guess would be an ekranoplan. Caspian Sea Monster?

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: waynos

Boeing felt that P&W were dragging their feet somewhat resolving an issue they were having where the JT9D would basically blow up under full throttle, with the company saying there was no problem and they were freak occurrences.

Knowing exactly what conditions were causing this to happen Jack Waddell invited the president of P&W along for a ride in the new jumbo, wherein he deliberately throttled the no1 engine until it blew up. To prove this was a known issue, not a freak, he then subsequently blew up no2 to prove it and asked if blowing up no 3 as well was necessary?

It was not.

I would love to have been there for that! I think he needed a new pair of trousers after that adventure

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Stngray

For sheer size, the Goose. For payload the Ekranoplan.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Just read up on it again. Almost 550 tons loaded. Pretty close to an actual flying boat as you could get.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Ok,as it seems we've answered Zaph's question at last,here's the next one.

What radio callsigns did the British Airways Concorde use on it's London to New York flight and back again?

Also a reminder to anyone who has just joined our little game.This is a test of YOUR aviation knowledge,so don't use Google please as it's just for fun.

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join