It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aviation trivia quiz.

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: waynos

A330

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

Nope.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

But what reg?

Just kidding, correct. It's a TCX A330-200 G-MDBD on the most humid day I've experienced at MAN-ECGG.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx
Which country doesn't use the nationality prefix for civil aircraft registrations if the aircraft never leave their country,i.e. they only display the last three letters of the reg number? I have one in mind I know about that has possibly been doing it for longer than others,there may be more I don't know about.

Come on guys,surely someone must know this one?

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

I was tempted to say Qatar, cos their C-17 'MAB' would normally be registered 'A7-MAB', except I've seen it in the UK.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: waynos

I was tempted to say Qatar, cos their C-17 'MAB' would normally be registered 'A7-MAB', except I've seen it in the UK.

No,think lots of sheep and I don't mean Wales of course.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

New Zealand?

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: waynos

New Zealand?

Yes!! Like this Piper Cub ZK-OLE......

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Some time ago the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) were operating some aircraft they'd bought from America.They had a very spectacular speciality air show trick they did with these aircraft that even the Americans hadn't thought of doing.

What were the aircraft,and what was the trick they did with it (a photo of this is essential for the answer to this one please).Yes I have actually seen them do this,but it was back in the 1980s and all my slides from those days have long since been deleted.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

You mean the F-111 Torching?

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

You mean the F-111 Torching?

That's the one.Photos or it didn't happen

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
PLEASE noone say its the afterburner.....

After-afterburner maybe....

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CovertAgenda

It's the afterburner. Technically.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Come on Zaph, dont wind me up... you of all people here should know

Technically... NO...

An afterburner (or a reheat) is an additional component present on some jet engines, mostly military supersonic aircraft. Its purpose is to provide an increase in thrust, usually for supersonic flight, takeoff and for combat situations.

A dump-and-burn is a fuel dump in which the fuel is ignited, intentionally, using the plane's afterburner. A spectacular flame combined with high speed makes this a popular display for air shows or as a finale to fireworks. Dump-and-burns are also referred to as "torching" or "zippos".

So explain to me how 'dump and burn' (the proper aussie terminology), as un-contained and outside of the jet-pipe / nozzle of an engine, would add to the thrust augmentation? (other than minor N3law mass effects)

final pig dump and burn

Like I said... its an after-afterburner

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Because if they just dump, it doesn't light up. They have to engage afterburner to get it to ignite. So technically, it's afterburner.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Oh Beeblebrox!!

So whats your definition of an afterburner?

Here are a few more for your perusal...

an auxiliary burner in which extra fuel is burned in the exhaust of a jet engine, to increase thrust.

a device incorporated into the tailpipe of a turbojet engine for injecting fuel into the hot exhaust gases and burning it to provide extra thrust

An afterburner (or a reheat) is an additional component present on some jet engines, mostly military supersonic aircraft. Its purpose is to provide an increase in thrust

a system of fuel injection and combustion located behind the turbine of an aircraft jet engine to produce additional thrust

Note the common idea there... increase thrust...

Not really a Brayton cycle internal combustion engine if its happening 50metres behind the aircraft?

Theoretically one could shoot flares into the dump to get it to ignite.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
As unofficial moderator to the thread I started and to stop it from turning from a trivia quiz into world war 3,I give this definition.Anything that burns fuel after it leaves the aircraft can by definition be called an after burner.End of discussion.

Now on with the quiz please.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I remember hearing about a Soviet AGI in the late 70's, early 80's that cut off an aircraft carrier nearly causing a collision. A few days later the Air Group Commander (CAG) sees the AGI with it's crew's laundry hanging out on deck. He flies towards the AGI about 150 feet above the water. Right before he gets to the ship, he pulls up, goes vertical and hits the afterburner. This blew most of the laundry off of the ship and into the water. There was a rumor that he hit the fuel dump right before hitting the afterburner, setting some of the laundry on fire, but, CAG would never confirm it.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

That's why I said TECHNICALLY. Because they have to be in afterburner for the trick to work.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join