It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TREPANATION......the ultimate cure for what ails you....and if you don't believe this, you have a

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
www.trepan.com...

Trepanation is a practice that has been used for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. It involves cutting a hole through the skull. This little known practice was used by various cultures such as the Egyptians, Aztecs and Mayans as evidenced by the discovery of skulls with neat little holes punched through the skull. It seems that the practice was used for everything from depression, migraine to excorcising demons. Well, it's back!

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
some mottos for Trepanners i thunk up

"Let's hole up here for awhile!"

"A mind is a terrible thing to leave without a manhole cover!"

"It slipped my mind!"

hmmm...i guess the only side effect is a pre-frontal lobotomy!

*sings* "I've got you....under my occipital" *sings*

kinda drafty in here

ê¿ê

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
....Those are some good ones...

We covered this every so often in several of my ANT courses....it's such a bizarre phenomenon....Even more interesting is when one hole just isn't enough...

I can't understand the reasoning behind the people who do this today in modern societies, but in less advanced cultures of today and the past, not only can I see why they do it (to relieve the stress, pressure and pain from epilepsy, extreme headaches, spiritual exorcism, etc...) but it's also a fairly complex procedure for people of no medical intelligence to execute - although, I believe there are quite a few signs of people dying soon after the procedure...but some of these people where probably close to death already....

Interesting stuff....

[edit on 1/11/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Excuse my ignorence but what is an ANT course?

Is it possible that some of the reported higher states of consciousness resulting from such a procedure is in fact merely the effect of psychological/pathological shock to the body?

If something is not natural, I tend to shy away from it!

"Honey I shrunk the medulla oblongata!"

ê¿ê

[edit on 12-1-2005 by sozzledboot]

[edit on 12-1-2005 by sozzledboot]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by sozzledboot
Excuse my ignorence but what is an ANT course?

ANT=Anthropology

Is it possible that some of the reported higher states of consciousness resulting from such a procedure is in fact merely the effect of psychological/pathological shock to the body?

I think that's pretty much the only scientific explanation we have....

Most people who practice trepanning understand that's the very reason how their body will react - They simply associate some kind of spiritual value to it after the fact....So their manipulation of the body is for their personal benefit and accepted risk...

Much like when someone goes to get their tongue pierced...They know it will swell and possibly get infected, but they do it anyways b/c they seem to think they will receive a greater benefit...these people know that our body's natural reaction is to basically create a permanent high as a result of creating an opening in our skull....

If something is not natural, I tend to shy away from it!

Funny thing is...this is almost at the very roots of "natural" in terms of medicinal practices....apart from herbal remedies, it's one of the earliest forms of selective surgery....

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
We need that like............well, a hole in the head!

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar
We need that like............well, a hole in the head!

Did you change your sig instar? If not, I must have just noticed it - Emo is one of my favorite comedians! His voice is so......eerie....lol

Speaking of eerie....I forgot there was a scene in Master & Commander where they pop a piece of skull out of a guy - I forget why they did it...But I sat in the front row of a huge theatre with the screen five feet away from me...when I watched the movie I actually got "sea-sick"....so, yeah....of course, I guess it could have been Crowe's acting.....

top topics

join