It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you pay per-month for an Ad-Free ATS?

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: pikypiky
It's just come to my realization and no more of my creative work will be shared here and will make me think twice what to type. Hope everyone becomes aware if they are not! It just seems wrong especially if there is a subscription. "Yes pay 5 dollars to remove ads, oh, but no we still keep rights to your intellectual property." Just wrong. Even shared.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

ATS doesn't keep the rights, they share them. Almost every forum online has joint rights to what you post. ATS is no different. Read the terms and conditions of just about any message board site and you'll see the same thing.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
I understand, but if there were a subscription fee it'd be a good incentive for it and would increase posting.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

A good way to increase posting is to fix the stats, give new people reward and recognition.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Except that if the intellectual rights aren't shared then it creates problems for the site. If you kept exclusive rights you could demand all your posts be removed, or other issues that would create problems for the site.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Then remove the right of the site to distribute your intellectual property (posts) and limiting the sites rights to having them on the actual site.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Echo007
why does ATS continue to rent expensive Studio in New York City,

We don't. We get it for free from YouTube.

ATS is spending ad revenue generated from the forums for other projects.

Spending revenue to expand core content or create new content is business 101 for publishers.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz
What reward or recognition? People obtain both with time on the site and contribution (though I'd argue it is to an extent a popularity contest) so what do you have in mind?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Id pay a small fee so long as a forum/thread/page was opened that showed the expenses to run the site and the payment and balances at the end of each month.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
Id pay a small fee so long as a forum/thread/page was opened that showed the expenses to run the site and the payment and balances at the end of each month.

Thats called being a shareholder. Not a subscriber.

Coming from someone who handles the accounting for a corporate entity....99% of people would not understand a basic ledger, let alone a general ledger report, and would blow their brains out trying to comprehend a balance sheet. If you put up a trial balance report, they would just click away. What is EBITDA?

And those who didn't would just want to nitpick why you spent $2.50 on a pack of mediocre pens, instead of $0.99 on some cheap Bic Sticks.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

true, but its a little different around here - wouldnt you say?

If I was paying to use this site id want to see something basic, just to make sure my money was going to keeping the site running.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

And those who didn't would just want to nitpick why you spent $2.50 on a pack of mediocre pens, instead of $0.99 on some cheap Bic Sticks.

That's an egregious abuse of surplus.

There is nothing wrong with a good ol' Bic.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

I guess. Maybe we could ask the same of the restaurant we frequent? Or the guy who cuts the lawn?

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Restricted

In the question posted in the OP, you can continue to participate here for free, just like you are now: with ads. The only change would be that you could pay to not have the ads (basically, buy out the adspace each month). Some people would find that attractive, some wouldn't care. Both would still participate here.

But that wasn't what he asked about.
Ok, let's say one day I pay a sub or donate, $25 either way. Imagine, if you will, the next day you & I are having a heated disagreement over whether or not a new, snazzy gorilla av of yours is offensive somehow. We get snippy back & forth, and eventually I cross a line big-time, and get banned.

What happens in that case to the sub/donation amount? Gone for good? Refunded? That's what Restricted is getting at, as far as I can interpret.

I don't get this point and have seen it three times in the past couple of days. The T&Cs would (presumably) still apply and we'd all continue to work within them and occasionally outside of them in the same way we always do.

Members and staff who paid to subscribe would still be held to those T&Cs. We can buy dinner in a fancy restaurant and still get asked to leave if we spit on the carpets or insult the other diners - even when we buy the priciest dish. Refunds aren't provided in any establishments when a customer is asked to leave for misbehaving.

Bannings aren't a one-click reflexive action by individual mods. They come at the end of a process that usually involves several post-bans and plenty of PM dialogue.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky"Bannings aren't a one-click reflexive action by individual mods. They come at the end of a process that usually involves several post-bans and plenty of PM dialogue."

Thats a lie!

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Considering I drop about 40.95 every two years for "Heavy Metal" Magazine, I could see dropping 60 a year for an optimized ad free ATS where I do not have to run my fine tuned system in what I consider a compromised state. Considering my main system has been a rolling upgrade box (replaced one component at a time except when I do the motherboard which is proc mem and mobo) starting in 1997 with the Memphis beta test on up with The only reloads having been the times I changed from Gold to Beta each test cycle (yes I have Earned every copy of my Windows for Free due to massive Bug Hunting and Good Reporting) My system still has dos files from 3.11 in the command directory and it is a windows 10 system, dosshell as the desktop for the WIN.... I would rather Pay a once a year subscription to the quality of discussion on this site.

Though a live chat would also be nice...

CoBaZ

Oh lord am I really considering giving up my money ROFL.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Are you planning to accept Bitcoin?

I would pay up to $2 per month for no ads, and I would want to pay using Bitcoin.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   

So I guess you dont like the idea?
fair enough..

just a suggestion!

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
with all respect..

I cant see where the expenses of running this site are. Hosting cost is nothing today. The site was built in house if im not wrong and didn't change at all for a couple of years. The content of the site is done by members.

Im afraid you site owners are not running this from pure heart. Its not nice at all to start something for free and then change model. Its not nice since you don't worry at all losing some members just to make some cash out of it.

You have face it, you can't and you are not suppose to make any money from this and move on, instead use this site as a portfolio with investors on other projects of yours.

Myself I run an anonymous social media on Android which was , is and will be for ever free. That was the model I chose and like this it will stay.

edit on 3-3-2016 by heineken because: My english as always...but...im god with _javascript

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: heineken
with all respect..

I cant see where the expenses of running this site are. Hosting cost is nothing today. The site was built in house if im not wrong and didn't change at all for a couple of years. The content of the site is done by members.

Im afraid you site owners are not running this from pure heart. Its not nice at all to start something for free and then change model. Its not nice since you don't worry at all losing some members just to make some cash out of it.

You have face it, you can't and you are not suppose to make any money from this and move on, instead use this site as a portfolio with investors on other projects of yours.

Myself I run an anonymous social media on Android which was , is and will be for ever free. That was the model I chose and like this it will stay.

Why are they not supposed to make money on something they have invested thousands of hours of their time into??

Who are you to dictate what should and should not be?

This really is getting silly now, why do people seem to think that they have an inate right to things?

Madness.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join