It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you pay per-month for an Ad-Free ATS?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

SIGH the OP said when logged INTO ATS you need to disable it.

Sigh, where does the OP say this is restricted to logged in members.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Thats what's so great here (and being completely missed over and over and over and over): it can still be free. You choose if you want to see ads, or if you would rather buy that space out so you don't have to see ads.

I am just not seeing how this effects anyone who doesn't want to pay to opt out of ads?

In my case it's largely ideological. Part of the concept of Net Neutrality is that enforcing it prevents the internet from turning into a subscription based model. The website owners here argued as much when it was in the news saying we needed to let the FCC stick with it in order to prevent content providers from turning into a subscription based two tier internet. This is essentially going back on that point of view for business expediency.

The solution here or any other site isn't to make websites subscription based, even if it's as simple as something like a subscription that removes ad's and speeds the website up.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels

originally posted by: yuppa

Ahem i submit into evidence exibit a....R.A.T.S forum. We already have a user forum that soem cannot access so whats the difference?

Skeptic THAT could be the pay spot for th e paid members and it wouldnt need tweaking or adding at all.

And how much money does that cost you to post in there?
Asking for people to pay $$$ to get special privileges and only those who pay get the privileges is completely wrong IMHO.
All of this chat on here is opinions and ATS will do what they like, they always do.

This is more than a slippery slope.

Were sorry we could not accomodate you good sir. your hat and coat are to th e left sir. thank you for your patronage and have a good day sir.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DutchMasterChief

SIGH the OP said when logged INTO ATS you need to disable it.

Sigh, where does the OP say this is restricted to logged in members.

i suggest you read the Tand C. it spells ou t how to use ATS and about ad blocking.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Thats what's so great here (and being completely missed over and over and over and over): it can still be free. You choose if you want to see ads, or if you would rather buy that space out so you don't have to see ads.

I am just not seeing how this effects anyone who doesn't want to pay to opt out of ads?

In my case it's largely ideological. Part of the concept of Net Neutrality is that enforcing it prevents the internet from turning into a subscription based model. The website owners here argued as much when it was in the news saying we needed to let the FCC stick with it in order to prevent content providers from turning into a subscription based two tier internet. This is essentially going back on that point of view for business expediency.

The solution here or any other site isn't to make websites subscription based, even if it's as simple as something like a subscription that removes ad's and speeds the website up.

I am all ears.....but im afraid that ideological quandries don't really hold up in real world situations. So long as it costs money to have a website, itll cost money to keep the internet alive.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

You said adblock has to disabled when LOGGED INTO ATS, according to thne OP. I asked you where he said that this is restricted to logged in members, since this also goes for logged out member/guests.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
We're looking at using Stripe to accept payments for our potential subscription plan. They accept bitcoin, and so far looks like also gifted subscriptions (confirming).

The plans would be:

$5 for a single month, or monthly reoccurring.

$50 for a single year, or annual reoccurring.

$250 one-time for a lifetime subscription.

I still feel like there needs to be a logical perk other than a sequestered forum or other walled garden. Working on it.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

A few of us have mentioned we'd like to see a nice chat room make its return. I'm in for that.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I haven't found a decent chat room client I like. The problem is, that with social media and mobile, traditional chat is going extinct.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
We're looking at using Stripe to accept payments for our potential subscription plan. They accept bitcoin, and so far looks like also gifted subscriptions (confirming).

The plans would be:

$5 for a single month, or monthly reoccurring.

$50 for a single year, or annual reoccurring.

$250 one-time for a lifetime subscription.

I still feel like there needs to be a logical perk other than a sequestered forum or other walled garden. Working on it.

Skeptic could you explain to dutchmasterchief above about when its ok to use adblocker on ATS. I have always assumed the TnC meant when you are past th e log in screen to turn i t off. AM I correct?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

traditional chat is going extinct.

Well if that's the way it has to be, then alright. Thanks for the reply

Good luck finding a solution for all.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I am all ears.....but im afraid that ideological quandries don't really hold up in real world situations. So long as it costs money to have a website, itll cost money to keep the internet alive.

A few posts back I did offer several non subscription ideas, I don't think there's a single replacement for ad's but having multiple revenue streams can eliminate or at least significantly reduce the number of ad's that need to be shown.

A big problem in my opinion just comes down to the business model though, many companies have gotten rid of their forums because they're just not smart business to keep open. Most likely there's a limit to how large forums can realistically be, because they need to be self sustaining which usually means coming out of the administrators pockets if they're not lucky enough to break even, and that's something that works for small forums but not for ones the size of ATS.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I abhor ads, but I also recognize that businesses need to stay afloat. I believe in what you guys are doing, and would be willing to pay a small pittance to enjoy my ATS experience ad-free. I know I'm not on as much as I used to be, but I still enjoy lurking.

I figure it's no different than paying for a netflix account. I find entertainment and knowledge here so I don't mind.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I haven't found a decent chat room client I like. The problem is, that with social media and mobile, traditional chat is going extinct.

I would love a chatroom option. If you think chat rooms are going extinct, let's prove them wrong by having the happeningest chatroom on all the interwebs!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Good plan. If you expect 1,000 members to pay 5 bucks a month, it would be a good idea to actually offer something.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I'll take the ads, so long as they don't move, blink, or flash....

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Seems like you are the one that needs to have things explained to him.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
How about 25 bucks for a full year?

People need to chill out this is an optional thing
edit on 2-3-2016 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

I would love a chatroom option. If you think chat rooms are going extinct, let's prove them wrong by having the happeningest chatroom on all the interwebs!

To be fair, the ATS chat was losing steam around the time I last visited. Coincidence?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

What about someone who has already contributed a couple hundred dollars to the site?

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join