It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SilencerCo Hybrid: A Suppressor For Pistol and Rifle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Like many enthusiasts, I enjoy shooting suppressed. Easier on the ears, and enjoy the precision and accomplishment of pet loads that maximize the dampening abilities of the various cans I own. I've accumulated suppressors used for .22LR to 300BLK, some capable of multi-caliber use, but tend to stick with caliber specific. Reason for that is while one is able to shoot 9mm out of a 45acp caliber-specific can, you tend to lose some of the dampening ability, as the baffles are engineered for optimal efficiency for that specific caliber.

SilencerCo has released their new multi-caliber suppressor, the Hybrid 46. What makes this can so appealing to shooters is the range it covers: from 9mm to .458 SOCOM. It also it capable of handling all magnum calibers up to .338! This is the first suppressor produced that can wear a multitude of hats, without sacrificing the sound dampening abilities other cans have shown. If you look at the specs, muzzle averages reported with this new can approach caliber-specific levels, a feat that engineers have been unable to produce till the advent of the Hybrid.

"HYBRID 46 ACCESSORIESSUPPORTMANUAL The Hybrid™ is the silencer for any platform. Compatible with calibers ranging from 5.56mm to 9mm, .45–70 GOV to .458 SOCOM, and many in between, the Hybrid is both full auto and magnum-rated and can be used on pistols, rifles, and submachine guns. Boasting low-120 dB’s on 300BLK and remaining hearing-safe with .45–70, the Hybrid offers an unparalleled pairing of versatility and performance – a combination you’ve come to expect from SilencerCo products. The Hybrid is rated down to 16˝ barrels for .45–70 and .458 SOCOM and down to 18˝ barrels for all magnum calibers up to .338. With a slew of compatible accessories available, you can turn the Hybrid into the perfect silencer for any demand."

The only negative I have encountered with SilencerCo suppressors is the cost of pistons needed to mate the various threaded barrels to the can. They charge appx. $80 per piston, so to utilize the Hybrid for say 4 different weapons, you would spend an additional $320 after buying the can itself. The only way I can view this expenditure is it's a one time outlay good for many years of use.

So for you suppressor enthusiasts or first-time buyers out there, here's a can that can be used on many of the platforms in your safe. Enjoy!
silencerco.com...
edit on 7852016242016-03-01T11:50:24-06:0020162am241150 by Boscowashisnamo because: OOps!

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

Adaptable to many calibers is fine… during practice.

They make another can-- er bottle for such exedientce… a soda bottle and a bunch of duct tape. Only good for one shot, but one is enough if you're trying to be quiet.

A suppressor doesn't completely muffle shots, people nearby still hear something. Firing more than once helps others identify and fix the sound.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Adaptable to many calibers is fine… during practice.

They make another can-- er bottle for such exedientce… a soda bottle and a bunch of duct tape. Only good for one shot, but one is enough if you're trying to be quiet.

A suppressor doesn't completely muffle shots, people nearby still hear something. Firing more than once helps others identify and fix the sound.

I never claimed a suppressor completely muffles shots. That's a Hollywood thing, and .22LR is the closest you get to only hearing the slide move with the right ammo. I've seen various attempts in one-time use, home built cans. Some are novelties, and others do the job. Manufacturing and mating to a weapon is where problems begin for some who lack the tax stamp.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Manufacturing and mating to a weapon is where problems begin for some who lack the tax stamp.

Thats where the duct tape comes in.

They don't hardly issue tax stamps for above board suppressors now, do they. Unless your in the gubment or tactical, military agencies, etc.

Aren't you glad you live in a state that issues them and you can afford it? Saves on earplugs…

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Look at the Griffin Armament Optimus Can as well.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman

Look at the Griffin Armament Optimus Can as well.

I have compared the two, yet only tried the Hybrid. The only negative I found with the Hybrid is the stacked baffle system vs. a monocore design. The latter is great for maintenance, and have used sonic cleaners in the past for some of my cans with success. My personal preference is towards Gemtech products, as well as their ammo line purposed for subsonic use.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

We have a great relationship with Gemtech and love their products as well.

The Griffin brothers are good guys as well.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
What's the best can for a threaded VZ61 Scorpion.32?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman

We have a great relationship with Gemtech and love their products as well.

The Griffin brothers are good guys as well.

I have reloaded for 25 years, and smithed for the last 10 with AGI certs in various platforms. I look at products from an engineering and manufacturing standpoint in order to understand functionality and usage intent--it's how I'm wired. I'm not a self-avowed expert, but want to be secure in the knowledge that I'm purchasing a product based on research.

Gemtech's customer service and staff are some of the best in the business, IMO.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

I haven't had much experience with the VZ61, so I emailed a friend. He states he is using the Gemtech Multimount 9mm with satisfaction. I would encourage you to visit forums such as Silencertalk.com and others to see user results and links. You might have to wade through uninformative posts, but feedback and links will lead you to the information you seek.

www.avguns.com...
www.theakforum.net...

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think I will wait around to see if the Hearing Protection Act passes and suppressors are taken off the NFA list.

That said, I'm interested in the Silencerco Maxim.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20433769]projectvxn[/post

I don't know the current status of the HPA, and it's chances of passage. I own several SilencerCo products(Harvester, Osprey45 and Octane 9), and aside from the high price of their pistons, have been satisfied thus far. I started this thread to share the versatility of the Hybrid, and information to those interested.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

a grand for that? I can whip these out all day long in my shop for a hundred bucks each,and feel bad at that price!

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: blkcwbyhat

a grand for that? I can whip these out all day long in my shop for a hundred bucks each,and feel bad at that price!

You're fortunate to live in an area that doesn't share the politics of where I reside. I'm a legal beagle till SHTF.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
You're taking half the fun of shooting away using suppressors.
I want all the bang I can get for my buck (you can still hear it in your cans)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Have you tried screwing a can type oil filter on the business end of the barrel|?
A simple adapter is available.....
I forget the price...but you can turn one on a lathe.......screw the filter on and awaaay you go.....

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnnnnnd highly illegal without first submitting a Form 1 with a Tax stamp as that is constructing a suppressor.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

I don't know what the best suppressor is but good advice is to offset it a bit from you own axis or lean it over slightly when firing because the little squirt gun ejects cases straight back into your face.

top topics

join