It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hugging is now Sexual Assault. Just ask UVA's "War on Hugs" policy.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

UVA was also the campus that gave birth to the infamous (and false) Rolling Stone rape expose and new campus rape culture, so I take this all with a huge grain of salt.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

UVA was also the campus that gave birth to the infamous (and false) Rolling Stone rape expose and new campus rape culture, so I take this all with a huge grain of salt.

No way!! In that case this policy is probably BS.
Thanks for mentioning that.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I don't see the problem.

Don't touch anyone without their permission. It's simple stuff.

When I want a hug, I open my arms like Jesus and a friend usually dips in to embrace me. That's affirmative consent. I don't walk around ninja hugging people of either sex from the rear. I don't bra-snap or spank bottoms with people I'm not intimate with.

How is this a crisis? People should keep their hands to themselves unless invited to do otherwise.

Do you think hugging someone without their consent should be labeled sexual assault?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Im not familiar with the story,

Could you post a link please?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

Im not familiar with the story,

Could you post a link please?

I don't have the link to the actual story, but I do have a link to Rolling Stone's follow-up report which described their process of getting the story and what went into it. It was written after an investigation by the Columbia J-School that Rolling Stone agreed to publish in full.

www.rollingstone.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie
The University of Virginia thinking hugging (clothed) is considered sexual assault.

If you hug your boyfriend and as a result your clothed body (including your breasts) touches him, you could be accused of “sexual assault” through “sexual contact” under the University of Virginia’s broad new “sexual assault” policy adopted to appease the Office for Civil Rights, where I used to work (assuming you do it without explicitly agreeing on the details of the hug). Because U.Va. lumps together touching, “however slight,” and intercourse when it comes to sexual assault, requiring “affirmative” consent for both. (“Affirmative consent” is a misleading term, and does not include many forms of consent that occur in the real world, and are recognized by the courts, as I explain at this link. The new policy further warns that “Relying solely on non-verbal communication before or during sexual activity can lead to misunderstanding and may result in a violation of this Policy.” Portions of U.Va.’s policy are reprinted below.).

This is an outrageous violation of students’ privacy rights

The actual school policy is posted in the article, here is a piece from it.

(1) Sexual Contact Is:

-Any intentional sexual touching
-However slight
-With any object or body part (as described below)
-Performed by a person upon another person

Sexual Contact includes (a) intentional touching of the breasts, buttocks, groin or Genitals, whether clothed or unclothed, or intentionally touching another with any of these body parts; and (b) making another touch you or themselves with or on any of these body parts.

And the article itself:

libertyunyielding.com...

If you scroll down past the ads you can see all the hilarious Facebook comments.

I liked this one,

Now, I assume that this goes for 'same-sex' 'couples' as well? So, how about all of those hugs, pats on the rear end, etc. that occur on teams during an athletic event. Also, how about all those 'honey shots' in the stands when the boy friend (or husband) is hugging or even kissing his girl friend (or wife) after a touchdown, or a win in the Final Four or any other 'spontaneous' display of affection. How dull will UVA sporting events be now, or, on the other hand, look at all the players and spectators who will be arrested and handcuffed during the games. Not to mention the shortage of players to finish the game.

Good Grief people, get a life.

Good day everyone.

Would it be verbal sexual assault if i said "Screw U. Of VA.!!?"

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join