It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question... IF you will?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Lets say you are a church going person regardless of how often you actually attend...

You enter the church in your "sunday best"... smiles all around...

Shake a couple hands and find your seat... hopefully you brought a pillow

You sing a few songs... perhaps donate to the toss around

Then the sermon...

This is actually interesting... as you look around, heads are falling...Kids are climbing

but if you're paying attention to the pastor... once in a while he says something that makes you go

Wait.. what?

And you grab the bible from the pew, and go flipping though the pages for the answer...

The question is...

Have you experienced this?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Yes. Could you be more specific, please?

Did he single you out? Or try to slip a fast one by you, "self-interpreting"?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

I can honestly say that I have never notice heads dipping as if members were bored to the point of napping in the church I attend. Different story when I was a kid and forced to go to Catholic mass by my folks. As to catching something I don't understand or that which doesn't make sense(a wait/what? moment), I ask the Pastor after service.

Could you be more specific? You've peaked my curiosity...

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
Lets say you are a church going person regardless of how often you actually attend...

Then the sermon...

This is actually interesting... as you look around, heads are falling...Kids are climbing

but if you're paying attention to the pastor... once in a while he says something that makes you go

Wait.. what?

And you grab the bible from the pew, and go flipping though the pages for the answer...

The question is...

Several times.

Usually taking controversial subjects like pre-trib/post trib or wether hell is real or metaphorical.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Here is my opinion on church. I don't go, but I have been. It's usually some dude who loves to preach hellfire and brimstone. If they haven't already, this is when the plate gets passed around, when you've been sufficiently made to feel like scum. Anyone who attends church and thinks they aren't just doing it to avoid hell is, imo of course, a lil deluded.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Mankind

Thank you for your opinion... but unfortunately...

Here is my opinion on church. I don't go

this really doesn't apply to you...

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   

I guess I am just too dumb to exist. My goal wasn't to help, just being humorous. Take a pill dude it's the internet and you are soliciting opinions. Take what you get.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Nice of you to edit my comment about having been so I look like an idiot. Thank God I don't care what you think.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

You don't look like an idiot. The OP is neglecting to answer any questions or to elaborate.....

But he is taking the time to be a smart a$$.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mankind

Nice of you to edit my comment about having been so I look like an idiot. Thank God I don't care what you think.

I didn't edit your comment...

I took what you said and answered accordingly...

Take a pill dude it's the internet and you are soliciting opinions. Take what you get.

So as the Op...

am i not allowed to have an opinion on an opinion?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: SharonGlass

You don't look like an idiot. The OP is neglecting to answer any questions or to elaborate.....

But he is taking the time to be a smart a$$.

IF observation is considered being a "smart ass"

Sure...

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Yes and no. I don't often get that in church since I don't attend a church. But, I do have that experience with things I see online. Sometimes, the author explains their positions adequately that I see where their reasoning is coming from, sometimes it is due to a verse being taken in isolation rather than in context with the piece of scripture it came from and thus twisted, and sometimes I have to poke around and read differing viewpoints to get a sense of where that reasoning is coming from assuming there is actually a rationale there.

Somestimes I agree with it, or at least can see it, and sometimes I think it's flawed.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Hello

It has happened, however I do not go to church any longer, I find them to hierarchical and political.

I miss fellowship however. That said, my Fife is a Christiand and so are her family so we do get some.

I find I get this kind of thing in daily life or just reading the bible. I may read something and think. Not sure about that meaning what I think and later get something form a completely unrelated YouTube video or things like that. And on here too. A poster has put something that has answered a question, or may question what I had already thought.

Regards

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Yep, more times than I care to imagine, I have heard the most stupid and ignorant thing from some ministers, at other times I have heard things that have clarified my beliefs beyond all my understandings
I have heard ministers preach that God wants your money based on Christ holding up,a coin with ceaser image and another minister say God wants your heart and soul based on the fact we are created in His image
I could go on and on about the insanity prefaced from a minister.
Only last week I heard a minister say that God changed from an OT God to the NT God

Specifically we are told God doesn't change James 1 17

Though I am sure there are some religions who disagree and don't rate James

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Church as a bible study group is a good use of church time, that and charity/social service.

Make sure to listen to wisest cookie in bunch, regardless of costume. If silenced, change church.
If wisest in bunch wears the robe, you win at churching.
Get to know wise preacher, learn lifehacks.
You can still think gramps is a monkey.
Just like biology class, with
No detention
No recess

The people who make me reconsider the understanding I have of this book are my friends.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It all depends on which church I attend.

If people are sleeping and kids climbing then there is something not right.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Then the sermon...

Wait.. what?

The question is...

I've learned the most unlikely things in church, and also heard the most ridiculous garbage. So I would say church is a lot like ATS.

S&F for asking.
edit on 1-3-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: s&f

new topics

top topics

join