It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You're Blocking Ads While On ATS, You Get A Big Ugly Message

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Domo1

I am not an expert but I am sure there are some predictive algorithms being used so not everything will be straight from your search engine but my point to the other poster was how weak-minded do you have to be where you start to fear for your personal integrity that you will subconsciously patronize these ads? I think it is just more lame complaining for the sake of complaining. I would wager you are getting bombarded by more television advertising than on this site.

The hit rate for advertisements is pretty low. If you buy a $100 item at 0.015 cents per view they're counting on a 1 in 666,667 hit rate. I would wager the odds of you or anyone making a purchasing decision due to an ad is much higher than that.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
This is all beyond disappointing. I had no idea so many members were blocking. And that so many would exhibit such intense irritation.

I need a break from this.

I had no idea that adblocker was against TOS, I will unblock it immediately, I never read rules, just agree.

But if aliens come to my door tonight the blocker goes back on.

edit on 1-3-2016 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Hello ATS. Today I was welcomed to this site with some wonderful content. As I sat here with my son I was greeted with this:

First I'm accused of STEALING by a little grey kitty, then a war-painted face tells me free speech isn't cheap (trust me I know the costs of free speech), then to be sworn at by the following banner telling me this "# is expensive"(you filter the word sh'it, yet clearly throw it at me).

First let me make clear I have no issues being asked to unblock as long as I won't see crap relating to finding a "good time" while we read current events and such. However since most of the internet has sex related click-bait all over it I usually just block it all.

Next is this: Your site is entirely created for free by your users. If anybody is to be labeled as stealing; it's you three. Content creators and moderation is totally not part of your overhead. Don't play the "poor me" card here, you guys live VERY comfortable lives. The only thing you actually have to pay for is hosting/bandwidth. EVERYTHING else is free.

Finally, I have watched the content here dwindle to pretty much just troll posting or fighting over the last 12 years. It's gone from some really interesting discussions to 70% Reddit cross-posts. I used to come here because it was great place to discuss odd topics on the fringe and get an open mind going with lots of possibilities. I've used it as a "critical thinking trainer" for my kids to see both sides of a civil conversation and think about the stuff in-between each side's "truths." Now it just feels that it's mostly venom based on the Liberal / Conservative paradigm. I mean of course there is plenty of venom spewed at the truthers, flat earthers, hollow earthers, pareidolia guys, UFO abducties, and many more. People tell them to seek medical attention or worse all the time. It's honestly sad now.

I registered mostly to participate in conversations and my post history will reflect that but I'd like to think that anything I've contributed was a good contribution. I have a feeling that there will be even more flag trading and friend staring now that you get less adds by posts.

By the way, I would love for you to hop over to reddit and see how one of the largest sites on the internet handles adds. I imagine their overhead is a touch higher than yours.

Have a good day/night,
Byes : )

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Been thinking about this for a while. I know that when I happen upon one of those gas stations with screens that advertise when you pull up and try to trick you in to buying a car wash I make it a habit to never go back. I also steer clear of Wal-Mart and other stores of that ilk. I also watch very few things on TV, I refuse to sit through 15 minutes of "entertainment" if it means I have to also sit through 15 minutes of "advertisement". Dont even get me started on the telemarketers that cold call. You call me on my phone trying to sell me something your gonna get an ear full before one of us hangs up.

I like to have my own thoughts about me, be my own person. I do not need someone trying to break into my thoughts of the day so they can sell me something.

You know its crazy when you think about it. Put it into context. Some of the subjects discussed here are the most important in human history, some of the brightest minds and deepest thinkers come here to interact with like individuals. To mix that in with mindless advertisements trying to grab your attention is a clash of ideals. Just doesnt seem right to me.

But nevertheless, we are still in control of our sensory input. Its a hard decision to make. Not sure if I want to play along.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I always leave the adblockers off for sites I visit frequently, and don't have a history of giving me viruses. : )

Sites have to survive somehow. It's funny how people want these free sites, but become outraged when accessing the site causes them some inconvenience, no matter how small. I do think the ads had increased to a point of being rather obnoxious.. I felt I have posted enough here where I wouldn't get spammed with ads every time I changed a page, but I was.

But I still visit. I enjoy the site, the effort put into it, and tolerate the ads regardless.. I do want them to survive, and more. It's sad when people get angry about a site just trying to stay up, let alone do well.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Over the years I have switched my ad-blocker on and off while visiting ATS. I do understand that nothing is free since everything costs money for SOMEBODY. However, the problems I have had with ads here as well as other sites, is that after closing the browser I still have a pop-up that takes effort to make go-away. I've had this happen several times on my old MacBook too. The other issue is page loading speed being terribly reduced and sometimes freezing.

At any rate, in hopes of better ad system screening, etc, I have once again disabled my ad-block for ATS. Also, I am disappointed but not exactly surprised to hear ad-block companies taking advantage of a dilemma of users not trusting site ads by using shady tactics with site owners themselves for their own revenue. Typical of this human world of opportunism at every turn.
edit on 1-3-2016 by empireoflizards because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockn82
Hello ATS. Today I was welcomed to this site with some wonderful content. As I sat here with my son I was greeted with this:

Next is this: Your site is entirely created for free by your users. If anybody is to be labeled as stealing; it's you three. Content creators and moderation is totally not part of your overhead. Don't play the "poor me" card here, you guys live VERY comfortable lives. The only thing you actually have to pay for is hosting/bandwidth. EVERYTHING else is free.

Have a good day/night,
Byes : )

Umm you do realize that even TEXT BASED FORUMS WITH USER CREATED CONTENT AND MODERATION TAKE BANDWITH TO HOST. you also have to pay for security suites. you also have to pay for server upkeep and internet access for th e site. Im no teven a owner and even I know its mor ethan just hosting. You know you get overages for bandwith exceeding as well in some places too?

And don t ge t me starte d on reddit. its as bad as youtube comments these days. Point is dont like it dont come back. vote with your fingers and mouse clicks.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

You do realize that log in screen ISNT where you need to disable your ad blocker. its when you are logged in you disable it.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
So if I'm seeing banner ads for Mancini's Sleepworld and flash animation ads for Playstation TV, I should assume all is good right? (In terms of there not being ad blocking running for this site.) I've never really used ad blockers much, and don't know if my browser has any built in or what not.

On the topic of ethics... I mean... while it's an unfortunate reality, 1) the site is free - they have to cover operating costs somehow. So ads are necessary. 2) People do have the freedom to use ad block. Or to not visit the site. Nothing is being forced on anyone per se.

It's like crowdfunding or other "controversial" internet milieus, as far as ethics go. Crowdfunding can seem unethical to some people because, "It's preordering something that might never exist!" But it's not that simple. Crowdfunding is voluntary charity for creative endeavors. No one is forced to participate. So as long as the creators are at least as honest as they can be, there's nothing unethical about it. On the other hand, if they promise the sun and moon, never deliver, and scam people... THEN it's unethical. It's not black or white. It all depends on how it's implemented, and the genuine intentions.

Likewise, advertisement - not just online but in all creative and passion driven endeavors - can be an incestuous unethical thing... but it isn't automatically so. ATS at least seems to try to do it as ethically as humanly possible. Which I for one appreciate. Is it perfect? Is it absolutely ideal? Not imo, no. Just as with crowdfunding (to continue with the strained analogy lol,) I wish there was a way for it to at least optionally be more like investing, with returns for those who donate over a certain amount if the product profits. That would make it true investment, rather than rhetorical investment that is really only donation/charity. Likewise, I do wish there was a way to avoid ads on ATS entirely or just as if not more importantly, less extortionate ad blockers.

In the absence of those solutions though, the most ethical thing to do is to find a balance, which ATS appears to be struggling towards with honest intent.

Of course I could be wrong and SO et al could be money grubbing deceivers out to track us all! ... But my BS alarm doesn't go off personally, and thus I give them the benefit of the doubt, especially since I value and enjoy this site and feel it's worthy of my ad impression revenue.

Peace.
edit on 3/1/2016 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/1/2016 by AceWombat04 because: Typo, added thoughts

edit on 3/1/2016 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

How much would you pay every month for an Ad-Free ATS?

Here is a Question...How much for ALL OF IT!

ATS that is! Name Your Price!

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: StargateSG7

$1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.01

That's what it's worth to us after all these years, sweat, and tears...

Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Springer

You undervalued. Should be. $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.99, methinks.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   

and have most trackers and smart cookies blocked.

99.8% of the reasons you believe you should block such things are the result of a great deal of FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) that has been spread by the very same firms that provide the software.

So, I don't want ads or cookies because I am too stupid and afraid to understand ads and cookies?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Right?!

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

What about the spyware we get for visiting this site?...I use ADWcleaner, its a small project created by a few good people. It always detects spyware after I visit this site...I believe Iv seen videos made by other users who have also noticed this. Tracking cookies aren't always bad, it depends on the information its gathering. After years of dealing with this kind of stuff I just don't trust anything anymore.
edit on 1-3-2016 by zzmojoezz because: Hit send before I finished

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Obsrvr

What's ugly is constant autoplay ads and constant pop-ups, so many that it's no longer worth participating here.

I pay a fortune for my access, for every gigabyte, but as a business entity you've stated pretty clearly that you don't care.

Thanks a heap.

You pay a fortune for your access sure, but did you know that a fortune is also paid to keep the websites running and maintenance etc. Ads are a way to recover that cost. When you disable them you are saying to the website that you use and life, that they are not allowed to recover the cost. That's selfish and ignorant.

People don't seem to understand that websites cost money to run and they think that just because they pay for internet bandwidth they should get everything for free, totally disregarding the fact that the websites are also paying for internet bandwidth.

I would never use ad block myself because I am against stealing and if you use ad block then you are stealing bandwidth and at the same time preventing the website creator / owner from earning income for work they have done that you are enjoying.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Regarding ads in general:

I thought, as a community, and pretty much as a world society, the majority of us understand that ads and media are bad, right? Who wants to see yet another Coke or McDonalds ad? Do people really support MORE ads? And is it wise?
I don't understand why Adblockers are considered bad when they're doing the right thing.

I left cable TV for the internet to avoid ads. I listen ONLY to the local college radio station to avoid ads.
Over the last 20 years, cable shows just show more and more minutes of ads with every show to the point you're spending half your time on TV watching ads. Who wants that? (other than the advertisers/corps/government)

And now there seems to be this push to allow yet more ads on the websites. When does it stop? When we start buying shirts plastered with ads like Idiocracy? Why does every form of entertainment and communication have to become a giant advertisement? What makes the public swing to the pro-ad side of it all? I get they're trying to make $$, but surely there are other ways, like selling their own products or something perhaps?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Well skeptic. Being one of the founders of XMB. oh so many years ago I have seen this site evolve from it's early days when you guys started with XMB forum software to what it is now. So Know that I have lots of respect for what has been achieved here.

However, I get that you make a living from this site but I disagree with you entirely on what is ethical. I didn't agree to participate in any ad/payment scheme that I recall or at least it was not my intention. I also didn't sign up for services from a BUSINESS. However, I have always view and accepted that ATS became a BUSINESS over time.

People here who really value ATS and want it to stay should view it as a BUSINESS that is providing a service such as the forums for discussing things. Once members do that they can make a more informed decision as to what they want to do.

I won't under any circumstances disable my adblocker for anything though. Not for ATS or anyone else. That's my choice and I apparently got locked into a TOS that I am now in violation of so I will not longer be using your services. I also will not signup for any monthly subscriptions either. That's my choice and you have your choice and those who want to participate have there choices.

I wish you the best. I will no longer be participating here. It's no real loss for either of us. My choice is not intended to be an insult. Just a clear choice made by me. I won't be told anymore than you what is ethical or acceptable.

Best Wishes Skeptic and crew. It's been an honor.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DumpMaster

originally posted by: Obsrvr

What's ugly is constant autoplay ads and constant pop-ups, so many that it's no longer worth participating here.

I pay a fortune for my access, for every gigabyte, but as a business entity you've stated pretty clearly that you don't care.

Thanks a heap.

You pay a fortune for your access sure, but did you know that a fortune is also paid to keep the websites running and maintenance etc. Ads are a way to recover that cost. When you disable them you are saying to the website that you use and life, that they are not allowed to recover the cost. That's selfish and ignorant.

People don't seem to understand that websites cost money to run and they think that just because they pay for internet bandwidth they should get everything for free, totally disregarding the fact that the websites are also paying for internet bandwidth.

I would never use ad block myself because I am against stealing and if you use ad block then you are stealing bandwidth and at the same time preventing the website creator / owner from earning income for work they have done that you are enjoying.

This guy completely gets it. Nothing is really free and the excuse of "well I'm broke and I've already paid my electricity and internet" is a BS one.

I've never used ad block, have always paid for my books, music and television shows. If you're too broke to pay or donate turn off the ad blocker. You're only hurting the independent guys... So STOP STEALING CONTENT!!!!! /rant

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

When it's the users that create the content, I question who if anyone is actually the thief in that relationship.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join