It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You're Blocking Ads While On ATS, You Get A Big Ugly Message

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: gosseyn
It's malware for the brain, malware for the mind, it redirects emotion and the need of love and security towards buying useless crap often made by slave-workers.

Are people that mush-minded that they cannot ignore an ad?

I don't see any ads

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I said it, didn't i?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Was talking mostly about the unpaid staff.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Oh, well that's bollocks, mate...

There should be some recognition for being a long time contributor.. Like, if you've been here for 10 or more years.

I don't start threads, because they never get any traction. I prefer to participate in discussions.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It's malware for the brain, malware for the mind, it redirects emotion and the need of love and security towards buying useless crap often made by slave-workers.

Are people that mush-minded that they cannot ignore an ad?

Why did you cut the last sentence of my post ? It's the response to your question. Our brain does many things that we are not consciously aware of, ads use that fact to manipulate us. You cannot ignore something that you're not consciously aware of, your brain just absorbs it. It has an effect on you even if you think you "ignore it". Companies would not spend billions and billions on advertising if all it took was to "ignore it".

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I'm of the "Don't f%&$ing tell me what to buy" anti-marketing crowd. Meaning, I've never clicked on an ad. Ever. I don't even bother looking at them in magazines, and mute the ones on TV. If I want something, I'll get it. I don't need an ad to tell me I need it.

So keeping that in mind, as far as I know, you only get revenue when someone clicks on an ad. How are you getting revenue from people like me who won't click? I'm only asking because this doesn't logically add up to me as a solution.

I've been using the internet since 1993. I recently clicked on an ad for the first time ever - the ad on ATS with the spinning tops made of different metals. I'm a metal and machining geek, so it actually intrigued me and wasn't annoying. I don't do anything for ad blocking that isn't already built into Chrome, so I don't know if I need to Whitelist, nor how to do so if I did need to do so to the benefit of ATS, but...if I should, I would, if I could.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
a reply to: PeterMcFly

I just think ad-blocking in general is unethical and overly-paranoid.

I've never blocked ads. I've never had problems.

Of course, I have intimate direct knowledge of how the ad technology works, and it's nothing like the FUD the ad-blocking companies feed you.

Bolded for effect. The thing is that ads can inject malicious code into your browser. That is the only reason I block them. When Wired started the "block users that block ads" strategy, I decided to quit Wired.

When I saw ATS do the same thing, I almost quit, almost.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: SpongeBeard
Serve the malware.

You lie.

We serve no malware.

You don't serve malware but you do not review the code from the ads either.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo
The thing is that ads can inject malicious code into your browser.

That has actually never been affirmed.

Back in this post I outlined how proponents of the "Do Not Track" legislation were provided significant time to prove that contemporary ads were doing anything that would harm the user, from malware to privacy violations. No evidence was found. If evidence was found, we'd have "Do Not Track" legislation in place.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo
You don't serve malware but you do not review the code from the ads either.

I've reviewed the review process of every ad provider that displays ads on ATS.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Thanks for letting me know that info. I've never really looked a lot into this before. It's good to hear something from an actual website owner on the matter. Most of what I've read has either come from privacy advocates or ad suppliers. You guys in the middle though don't tend to get heard very often about this kind of thing. It's something I'm definitely going to educate myself on now though.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I have met my match at Match.com, yay! Thank you ATS, you are great in so many ways.... ads do not bother me one iota.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Many valid reason to use noscript. It prevents facebook and google from tracking you all over the net, it allows you to block unknown scripts from running that could infect your system with malware. Using noscript prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities. Noscript can be a pain on news sites like cnn or msnbc, due to all the scripts they have running, it can be a pain to figure out which ones to allow just so you can watch a video.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
HEre is what I have found. IF you know how to do it you can basically use ad blocking for free IF you know the in an douts of certain OS's and browsers. I use Iron and have a CHrome UA spoofer. If i am not logged in I see no ads. But when i do log in I have ATS whitelisted so i see the ads,so you can get paid.

DO I pay for the ability to block ads? NOPE. Can you do the same? YEP. Am i going to ever block ATS ad content that pays the bills? NOPE.

ALot of us do the same SO but we know yall need the money and when logged in allow ads.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
When do we start getting the big ugly message?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

If you've blocked ads, you should see it already.

But you're account doesn't get ads cause of your contribution level.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

So basically this won't affect people if they just post every dumbass thought that pops into their head!? I forgot I don't get ads anymore.

Actually I think I have ATS allowed, I suppose I should check that.

Just an FYI I had ads blocked and I wasn't seeing any big ugly message.
edit on 0120160320161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
I don't see any ads

Same here.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Our brain does many things that we are not consciously aware of, ads use that fact to manipulate us.

Since the ads are based on your search history they are not showing you something that you have not already looked at. Once again, are people that mush-minded to not be able to resist compulsively buying everything in their search history?

It sounds like everyone is a walking id that cannot control themselves due to rampant ad placement. Oh, Lawdy, save me from da click bait!

edit on 1-3-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I added the site to my white list, I now see ads, but still do not see images on the site.

Sigh.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join