It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2016 DV1 March 3 1LD 206feet by 91feet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
According to jpl.nasa's close approach data they apparently just discovered this thing Feb 28 and its at a condition code 7 meaning they dont have enoughcdata to be sure...with code 1 being certain and code 10 not certain at all. Mods...sorryvI dont know how to put a link to jpl nasa from my phone.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

Here is the link to the approach data:

Nasa JPL 2016 DV1

I don't know if I am reading that right but it appears to have already passed on Feb 26th.

edit on 29-2-2016 by Jonjonj because: checking

edit on 29-2-2016 by Jonjonj because: Bloody all wrong

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

1ld means it will pass by at one lunar distance...the distance from the CENTER of the earth to the center of the moon.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

1LD is 1 Luna Distance, so it'll pass by us at about the same distance as the moon is from earth

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
you actually need to go to jpl neo close approaces. You can click on 2016DV1 for more info.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Here is the link to the approach data:

Nasa JPL Small body data

Here is the link to all the rest of it:

Nasa JPL Asteroid 2016 DV1

I don't know if I am reading that right but it appears to have already passed on Feb 26th.

Thanks for the links!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Yes but it has already passed hasn't it? Am I reading it wrong?

You are welcome, phones are not fun when trying to post links.

edit on 29-2-2016 by Jonjonj because: addition

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Yes but it has already passed hasn't it? Am I reading it wrong?

You are welcome, phones are not fun when trying to post links.

No its March 3. Spaceweather.com also has it on their site.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

You know what I did? I linked to 2016 DB1, NOT 2016 DV1.

I am an idiot!

Edit: I corrected the first link.
edit on 29-2-2016 by Jonjonj because: correction

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Had a bit of a look at space weather as I do every few days noticed a few more new listings for March added. You could almost call them grouped together, will have to keep an eye on this. Thanks to the op for bringing this up.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Should worry more about this one LOL
2013 TX68

The Earth's mean radius is determined as the average distance from the physical center to the surface, based on a large number of samples. This is roughly 6,371 kilometers (km) or 3,960 statute miles.

11,000 - 3,960 = 7,040 Miles

So the Asteroid could be as little as 7,040 miles to earth mean surface WOW

Just hope it does not take-out any satellite on it way in and way out

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Just to crunch some numbers for you:

The asteroid is approximately 50 to 60 meters in diameter.

The nominal close approach distance will be approximately 395,539 km from Earth.

At the closest approach on Martch 3rd, the asteroid will have apparent magnitude of around 15 or 14.5, which is dimmer than Pluto; you'd need a good-sized telescope to see or photograph it at all.

Here's the Minor Planet Center page for the asteroid, showing all the observations and which observatories were used: www.minorplanetcenter.net...
edit on 1-3-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Trillium

Yeah! The one in Russia a few years back, RT said it had 20 companions......I believe it was asteroid 2012 DA14 that was supposed to pass under our satellites....the very same day

I'm glad you brought up the measurement thing....... i had heard of 11,000 feet. The measurement is taken from the center of the earth.....you posted it. if it does pass at around 7000 feet, people needs to look up for the next week.

Thank you for the post.....this week will be interesting to say the least......

ETA......NASA has changed the data for 2013 TX 68 like 3 times. The European Space agency hasn't changed theirs, and they says its going to wizz by even closer.

Interesting indeed.......

BPearthwatch, and nemsismaturity on you tube have good vids on it.....don't know how to post, or I would.
edit on 1-3-2016 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: thepolish1
a reply to: Trillium

Yeah! The one in Russia a few years back, RT said it had 20 companions......I believe it was asteroid 2012 DA14 that was supposed to pass under our satellites....the very same day

I'm glad you brought up the measurement thing....... i had heard of 11,000 feet. The measurement is taken from the center of the earth.....you posted it. if it does pass at around 7000 feet, people needs to look up for the next week.

Thank you for the post.....this week will be interesting to say the least......

ETA......NASA has changed the data for 2013 TX 68 like 3 times. The European Space agency hasn't changed theirs, and they says its going to wizz by even closer.

Interesting indeed.......

BPearthwatch, and nemsismaturity on you tube have good vids on it.....don't know how to post, or I would.
jpl nasa has 2013 tx68 at condition code 8 which means its path is highly uncertain. They list its closest possible approach as 19,200 miles(minus the radius of the earth) and its farthest possible approach at 3 million miles...so ...wild guess anyone?
edit on 3/1/2016 by MissSmartypants because: Spebling

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Busy time March

Comet P/2016 BA14 (Pan-STARRS) will safely pass Earth on March 22,2016, passing even closer than comet 252P. Comet P/2016 BA14 flyby will be at just 2,199,933 miles (3.5 million km) or about 9 lunar distances, which is very close for a comet. In fact, this comet – P/2016 BA14 – will set a record as the third-closest known comet to pass our planet in recorded history.

But recently astronomers learned that this comet has company. On January 22, 2016, the Pan-STARRS observatory in Hawaii detected an object with a similar orbit that was preliminary designated as asteroid 2016 BA14. Further observations showed a cometary tail, suggesting the object is a comet and not an asteroid. Did comet 252P split in two? We may find out soon.
earthsky.org...

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Also discovered Feb 28, asteroid 2016 DN2 scheduled to fly by March 5 at 1.8ld. Condition code 8 meaning that distance is highly uncertain.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Nasa has changed the data two times. The European space agency has 2013 TX 68 passing at .044 LD. Also at condition code 8.

Any asteroid that passes below 22,000 feet is passing below our satellites. Too close for comfort.

Check out the vids on youtube.

Hopefully someone will find it and track it, kinda hard considering its coming from the sun side, just like the Russian one.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: thepolish1

Nasa has changed the data two times. The European space agency has 2013 TX 68 passing at .044 LD. Also at condition code 8.

Any asteroid that passes below 22,000 feet is passing below our satellites. Too close for comfort.

Check out the vids on youtube.

Hopefully someone will find it and track it, kinda hard considering its coming from the sun side, just like the Russian one.
Its also larger than the one that caused the giant meteor crater in Arizona 50,000 years ago.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: thepolish1

surely you mean 22,000 klm as 22,000 feet is below most aircraft never mind satellites !

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ShayneJUK

No, the measurements on the site are in KM, when you convert it to miles it can pass as close as 11,000 miles....sothank you for the correction. The measurement is from the center of the earth to the surface is 3,940 miles, so, minus 4,000 from 11,000 miles. Is 7,000 miles. Our satellites orbit around 22,000 miles.

I'm going to look up the layers, and distances of our atmosphere. If someone could post that, it would be great.

It could pass as far away as 9 million miles. It has a condition code of 8, very uncertain trajectory.

Its a crap shoot...to say the least.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join