It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. Nicholas II killed cats, dog, and crows as a hobby

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The tsar Nicholas II who was canonized by Russian Orthodox Church shot crows and cats during his afternoon strolls. This is a typical entry from the diary of the saint

Took Alix for a ride in the park; Tatiana accompanied us. Killed 2 crows. Took a ride in a kayak.

The saint and his crew had killed 6,176 cats, 3,786 dogs, and 19,947 crows.

ecclesiastes911.net...

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: vernichter

What an asshole

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Asshole? No! He was a SAINT!! Saint Asshole, patron saint of all douche bags.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I deny these charges! If I hadn't shot those crows they would have caused my sleigh to crash! And then what would happen with Christmas! I plead self defense. And also lies! No cats were harmed! Nor dogs.

EDIT: The logic is horrible. He's Santa Claus because his name is Nicholas? That's not why Santa is Santa..

edit on 29-2-2016 by Tiamat384 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Crows eat my crops and cats pee on my potatoes and dogs are noisy when they chase the cats and crows.. hmm

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Killing animals is next to Godliness it seems, according to the Russian Orthodox Church.

My version of Christianity is that we are all Gods creatures and it is a sin to kill. However, fish and sheep are fair game.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384 And also lies! No cats were harmed! Nor dogs.

If you follow the link you can see the report for an Imperial hunt colorfully illustrated by the court artist. It contains the numbers of killed dogs and cats.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
More lulz from the religious factions

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
How primitave!

Civilized people have PETA or The Humane Society kill their unwanted or feral dogs and cats for them!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

You must be fun at balls.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
How primitave!

Civilized people have PETA or The Humane Society kill their unwanted or feral dogs and cats for them!

The problem is that he is a Santa Claus.
This is what a saint should do:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
In the nicely illustrated report for 1908, the images of cats shown are more "Lynx" than housecat. Are we sure we're clear on exactly what he was killing?

Also, in the absence of Bob Barker and responsible pet ownership, I could see feral cats, packs of dogs, and disease-bearing crows being a huge problem. What is not made clear here is if these killings were to control a burgeoning population of dangerous (each in its own way) wild animals.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrikeyMagnet
In the nicely illustrated report for 1908, the images of cats shown are more "Lynx" than housecat. Are we sure we're clear on exactly what he was killing?

The report explicitly states that only 6 lynxes were killed. And 1285 "stray cats."

originally posted by: CrikeyMagnetAlso, in the absence of Bob Barker and responsible pet ownership, I could see feral cats, packs of dogs, and disease-bearing crows being a huge problem. What is not made clear here is if these killings were to control a burgeoning population of dangerous (each in its own way) wild animals.

Even if there was a problem the tsar would not be solving it personally unless he wanted to. All evidence shows that he did it for fun. This would not have been a big issue were he not Saint Nicolas. Imagine a Santa Claus shooting kitties.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Okay... not being able to read from the cyrillic text is clearly a disadvantage. I do see the number 1285 (or is it 1985?), and the number 6 in there... but there are a lot more numbers, and labels. Is there a translated version of the document they show an image of?

Regardless, 1285 is a pretty large number of stray cats. There are numerous public health and animal attack reasons that this could have been a fantastic idea.

This could also be an example of "leading from the front". "Tsar Nicholas would like for you to kill cats if you see them as strays in your area. He himself killed two today before his breakfast."

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
He isn't Santa, not even Santa 2 or 3 or 4. The logic of the link is horrid. Just pointing that out. Only because Santa's name should not be trashed!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Wow! 1908 was a very busy year they averaged 18 kills a day that year! Cats dogs and cows combined!

why no birds? I am sure if a sparrow landed near him it would have been blasted! Chickens and what not....I wonder why he apperently spared the birds! Although they my be somewhere in that old text I can't read in fact I am sure he killed everything that moved to get numbers that high.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
well, that's not very saintly behaviour really. still, those were different days, with different ways.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Okay... not being able to read from the cyrillic text is clearly a disadvantage. I do see the number 1285 (or is it 1985?),

It is 1285. The artist writes "9" in a completely different and unambiguous way as it is easy to look and to check.

originally posted by: CrikeyMagnetand the number 6 in there... but there are a lot more numbers, and labels. Is there a translated version of the document they show an image of?

There is no English translation of the document. But I can tell you that Santa Claus II had also killed 1645 jays.

Regardless, 1285 is a pretty large number of stray cats.

We don't know that they were indeed stray. Perhaps, merely not on a leash.

There are numerous public health and animal attack reasons that this could have been a fantastic idea.

This could also be an example of "leading from the front". "Tsar Nicholas would like for you to kill cats if you see them as strays in your area. He himself killed two today before his breakfast."

I am not familiar with any significant problem in Russian Empire which came from cat attacks. Of course there were lots of real problems. And Santa Claus II mishandled all of them while shooting kitties.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978
What do you do with the sheep?
Muttons inedible...

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4
well, that's not very saintly behaviour really. still, those were different days, with different ways.

Do you suggest that in those days shooting crows and cats for fun was a norm?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join