It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explorer's Mummified Body Found Seated At Desk On 'Ghost Yacht'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Fishermen in the Philippines discovered the mummified body of 59-year old German explorer Manfred Fritz Bajorat seated at his desk aboard his 40 foot yacht, Sayo. According to reports, the yacht was found approximately 40 miles from land and the fishermen made their approach after noticing its broken mast — and I imagine looking at the pictures, the fact that it was listing badly to one side.

The last confirmed sighting of Bajorat was in 2009 so it's possible he's been sailing his "ghost yacht" for the last seven years.

In addition to the broken mast, the cabin is described as having been largely flooded and the reports mention photo albums, tins of food and clothing strewn all over though I imagine any boat drifting at sea for years would be in similar or worse condition and I don't take these details to indicate the possibility of foul play.

Mirror - Ghost yacht horror as mummified body of adventurer found sitting at desk of vessel drifting at sea for years

His body was taken for an autopsy in Butuan City, the yacht was towed for a police inspection into the port of Barobo.

Police spokeswoman Goldie Lou Siega in the Philippines said; "We have no evidence of a second person aboard and no weapon was found on the yacht."

Dr Mark Benecke, a forensic criminologist in the city of Cologne, told BILD: "The way he is sitting seems to indicate that death was unexpected, perhaps from a heart attack."

The German embassy in Manila is working with local officials to trace his family in Germany.

Other sources:
Huffington Post
Daily Express
edit on 2016-2-29 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If he was just sitting there and died, how did his body remain in the chair? Seems like during seven years adrift it would have fallen over. Surely it wasn't always just "smooth sailing".

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
He looks pretty mouldy....

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
How on earth did his body mummify?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Kentuckymama

In the picture I just added to the OP you can see that the yacht is listing to the side as well so it definitely wasn't "smooth sailing."

Not to add to the macabre nature of this poor man's story but I'm going to guess that he could have been somewhat glued to the seat during decomposition by bodily fluids that leaked from the corpse and then dried.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
Considering how bad the yacht is listing, one would think he would have fallen out of the chair. The body must be leaning just the right way to keep it in.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Rigor Mortis helps with stabilization!

Didnt expect the pic, usually stories like this are from Russia and have no pics it seems!

I'm creeped out, and will be rewatching the Goonies tonight!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Interesting find. It looks like he just fell asleep and never woke up. If he enjoyed sailing, it was a good way to go.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Real life One Eyed Willie.

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

It's a shame it doesn't specify make and model of the boat.

If that boat can stay a float with nobody at the wheel for 7 years and only list like that and not sink, that's a boat I would like to have, that's a good boat

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kentuckymama
If he was just sitting there and died, how did his body remain in the chair? Seems like during seven years adrift it would have fallen over. Surely it wasn't always just "smooth sailing".

If you look closely the "nook" he is sitting in is pretty tight. His stomach/chest seem pretty tightly slotted between the table and wall. Combine that with the above suggestion of decomposition fluids drying and cementing him in place and I can easily see how he could have remained that way for so long.

The mummification however is more of a mystery. Perhaps the salt in the sea air helped?

EDIT TO ADD:

Dry ocean winds, hot temperatures and the salty air helped preserve his body.

I probably should have fully read the article lol.
edit on 29/2/2016 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
How on earth did his body mummify?

In a word, salt. Whether by dehydration or in pickling brines, salt (primarily sodium chloride) has been used as a preservative going back to prehistory.
edit on 2016-2-29 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Hope the investigation is thorough and helps the family of this guy get some type of closure.

Probably was on hold getting GPS tech support from somebody in BFE.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger
One Eyed Willie! I love that movie.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
And thats why they need to cremate my body.

"when you die.

you look a mess."
-izzard

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
wana last forever ...........when you die get buried in a coffin full of salt from the bottom to the very rim.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This is how i will be found..Mouldy in front of my Laptop and extremely dead.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I had a short sting running a small fishing trawler, and even at twelve miles out (Furthest I could get in the english channel) I was amazed to be attacked by swarms of flies and bees and many other flying beasties, so I'm wondering how come this guy wasn't devoured by maggots!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

It's a shame it doesn't specify make and model of the boat.

If that boat can stay a float with nobody at the wheel for 7 years and only list like that and not sink, that's a boat I would like to have, that's a good boat

That boat will probably come up for sale pretty soon. You may have to redecorate...

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
In my book you get "The Creepiest ATS Thread Ever" award, holy moly, thats horror movie stuff.
He was last seen in Majorca, thats a really long way from the southern phillipines. I wonder if he died in the pacific or the atlantic?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join