It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death Of Windows 10

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Worrying about Windows 10 spying is a very superfluous worry at best, I'm afraid. Canonical went through the same criticisms over lenses in Ubuntu and have caved to the pressure, though the underlying truth still remains:

People tend to freak out over this, go to extreme pains and inconvenience to seek to mitigate the issue and then log onto the Internet where, for all intents and purposes, they give up every inch of the "privacy" they just fought so hard to attain.

Do a quick study on the steps that people like Snowden or McAfee take to achieve a reasonable level of security and the painful reality shines through.

(1) They dispose of devices at an economically unreasonable rate. Most of us cannot afford to buy or build a new PC from scratch every few months.

(2) They shun almost all convenience based functionality. They don't do social media. They don't play games. They don't do much web surfing. They are limited to a handful of alpha level Skype type programs and that's about it. And even using those, just one time, is their trigger to revert to #1 - replacing the entire PC/device.

(3) To facilitate "security" they also must shun almost all other modern conveniences like cellular devices, online commerce, having accounts on any website, webmail and so forth. You know... the very things 99.9% have the Internet for in the first place.

(4) They grudgingly understand and accept the ultimate truth. No matter how secure ones home PC is - once any connection is made, even at the ISP level, that security is substantially undermined and degraded. Packets in the wild are, after all, packets in the wild.

Most of us are nowhere near that proficient. Most of cannot code a working chatroom program, much less a fully secure and encrypted one - solely to use it once and throw it away afterward. Hell... Most of us wouldn't want to or have the discipline needed to do so each and every time we wanted to log on and talk to somebody else or make a post.

In the end, if you're worrying about Windows 10 spying on you, but you don't think twice about using Google or Bing while your smartphone sits on the desk next to you... You've probably drunk a bit of the Kool Aid and missed the underlying reality.

My experiences with Win 10 have been positive. It's a solid O/S. I'm not even dual booting Linux currently ( and haven't been for about a year - though Ubuntu 16.04 might get me to do so for awhile when it's finally past beta ). The whole movement for Linux was based upon the credo "It just works" - and, for now, Windows 10 just works.

edit on 2/29/16 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: mockingmay

Found out HP doesnt give a damn about upgrading their drivers and Windows 10 obviously could give a ****.

It isnt Microsoft doesnt care .And never has been. The "native" Windows drivers ARE provided by the manufacturer of the device. NOT Microsoft. They are signed off on by the company and provided to MS as WHQL drivers.This would only mean HP doesnt care.Or in your words "obviously could give a ***" Send feedback to HP.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
7 was better, but it's clear they expect people to move to 10 an will withhold functionality (such as DirectX) on 7. So I switched.

<< 1  2   >>

join