It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reminder: the best bug out vehicle is a bike.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Don't plan to find fuel, plan to get by without it and avoid having to lug a 150 pound motorized bicycle with no gas around, which has no gear selection for climbing hills.

Better to haul the extra weight in the form of spare parts, which you are not going to be able to find for the moped.

Besides, motors make noise and a good portion of the point of using a bicycle is that it is quiet.

I was looking at the assembly manual that is available online for the MotoPed, it appears to be of fairly high quality, but I cannot find any link for repair parts for the machine or any specifics on the motor, or spares for it either.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ThickAsABrick

Snow can be fun on a bike until they start plowing and salting everything. The hard part is getting the momentum up and keeping things from getting too sideways.....And keeping the forward momentum up....
....And stuff hiding under the snow....I hit a bicycle rack under the snow once, at least the landing wasn't too hard.
....And shift and brake cables freezing up from the tire spraying junk against the downtube....
The most valuable skill to know when riding a bicycle or a motorcycle is knowing how to crash without getting hurt.
edit on 29-2-2016 by MyHappyDogShiner because: asedrftyu

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Awesome thread OP....I agree 100%. Bicycles are handsdown the most efficient machines on earth..We are absolutely crazy as a society to not exploit bicycles to the max. In fact if I was the supreme ruler of the earth. I would probably outlaw any vehicle except bikes. Except " possibly" steam locomotives and of course boats. But if we focused on the use of bicycles we could build enclosed bikeways in the areas with harsh climates and at least bikeways with canopys in the more temperate areas. And I have no problem with electric motor assist .

Infact they wrote a song about someone like me a while ago.....it had a line in it that said...I'd throw away the cars the bars and the wars...and make sweet lovin to you. ( not you personally OP ) just some sweet little woman somewhere. ..lol. If I was on a laptop instead of my phone I would try to put up a youtube of it.
Anyway....thank you for the thread.... we could have a really fun world ...if we all got our priorities straight.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I have a huge one of those I used for my dog, and it wasn't cheap.

The big yellow one on the first pic I posted on this thread.

My dog died on Jan. 8. Now I don't have to carry food and water for her.

Suckage.

www.youtube.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.youtube.com...
edit on 29-2-2016 by MyHappyDogShiner because: lkn

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Yes, very true. I'm lucky I guess I've working with enough metal that I could bang out the part from salvaged steel if I had to for a bike. Anything more complex then that I'd need more hardware.

But I always find it interesting when people go on and on about a bug out plan. Working for a utilities for a while you get to see lot of people hot foot it out of areas. So far not a single one looked like they where using anything that looked like a bug out gear. When I asked some of them they would even tell me they have bug out gear at home, but felt it wasn't needed and left without it. The other reason some would leave their bug out gear, was because it was trashed already. Storm of flood hit already where they keep their stuff and it's all gone.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

I totally agree which is why I would rather start out with this thing instead of nothing at all and if it eventually fails to perform then time to adapt and overcome but hopefully this thing will have gotten you far enough away where you can safely do that. As for fuel I can all but guarantee you that in SHTF scenario there will most certainly be area's of grid locked and abandoned vehicles.

a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

Joy To The World.

Three Dog Night.

Awesome Tune.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

The ones who survive are the ones who can get by without their bug out gear regardless of the circumstances.

Always been that way.

The only considerations become needs, everything else is just dead weight and will be dropped along the way.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Ummm...ah...I see someone's been to DudeIWantThat.com...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I want a interdimensional space ship for my bug out vehicle...
Beam me up Scotty!

www.dudeiwantthat.com...
Kool site! Thanks for the link...

edit on 29-2-2016 by 5StarOracle because: add

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Lol yep.

a reply to: YouSir

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Yup, the right set of skills and the common sense to know when to using them is worth more then all the bug out gear in the world.

Driving in to disaster zones you get to see lots of things left on the side of the road, depending on what type of disaster. You'd be surprised at how many TV's get put on the side of the road this way, or are setting outside the front of a house. People grab what they value or find comfort in first.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

When all else fails, bury yourself in a pile of leaves and wait till morning.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Jeremiah was a Bullfrog,

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

I keep a super lightweight kit on my keyring.

The striker for the firesteel isn't needed as the curved part of the back of the knife works just as well.
edit on 29 2 2016 by Kester because: add images

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The view of having a horse or mule is a good one, but most people don't have the proper facilities to care for one in the meantime. A bicycle can sit in the closet, unfed, unwatered, for a long time.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Animal welfare should be top priority. If just because it will kill you if you insult it enough.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Pack goats are a good option for some. They'll forage when other animals starve.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Right on my brother Right on ! ....alot of truth in that tune ...lets pray that it becomes fulfilled in our lifetime. And that we do our part to make it happen.

PS .....I am so sorry about your loss...extremely painful for sure...
edit on 29-2-2016 by HarryJoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner

Snow can be fun on a bike until they start plowing and salting everything. The hard part is getting the momentum up and keeping things from getting too sideways.....And keeping the forward momentum up....
....And stuff hiding under the snow....I hit a bicycle rack under the snow once, at least the landing wasn't too hard.
....And shift and brake cables freezing up from the tire spraying junk against the downtube....
The most valuable skill to know when riding a bicycle or a motorcycle is knowing how to crash without getting hurt.
Yeah there are definite challenges in winter riding. That mix of snow and salt, locally it has a brownish colour and we call it cookie dough. It can mess you up good. On the subject of shifter lines and brakes freezing up, I found that the old coaster brake hub was the best set up. Though many others swear by the fixed gears. Only problem with either of these is only having one gear, which is fine ripping around downtown. The best set up for year round cross country hauling in my opinion would be an internal hub with coaster brake. Then you have have gears for the hills, a brake that's never going to freeze up and only one cable to freeze on you.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join