It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reminder: the best bug out vehicle is a bike.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I have seen multiple threads over the years questioning, "what is the best bug out vehicle?" and have been surprised that so few people realize that it's a bicycle. I spent few Years working as a bike courier here in Canada and have many times found myself laughing at people spinning their wheels stuck in the snow while I sailed past. Now if I could afford it, this would be my score.
www.yubabikes.com/Munson
Rated for about 400lbs. of cargo, the designer ran one in a fundraiser race through San Fransisco carrying 600 lbs. of rice and won. Unlike an SUV or pickup truck, you won't be heard trying to throttle your way out of the mud or up the hill. While I have my own reservations about charge time on electric vehicles, I know from personal experience that a bicycle is a superior vehicle to anything else on/off the road.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The link didn't work

Ah, Mundo not Munson. Thanks for the info, definitely something worth looking into.

yubabikes.com...
edit on 28-2-2016 by Esoterotica because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2016 by Esoterotica because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Ahhhhh, above poster beat me to it...

edit on 2.28.2016 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It looks like some prefer the Edgerunner over the Mundo...

It appears that Yuba's founder left Xtracycle to create the Mundo.

After working at Xtracycle for several years Ben felt that the add-on design was not sturdy or durable enough for the long haul, so he left and founded Yuba, enlisting the help of top frame builders and designers to create the ‘Mundo’, perhaps the sturdiest longtail cargo bike on the market.

cyclinggypsies.wordpress.com...

yuba mundo vs edgerunner - Google Search

edit on 2.28.2016 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica
The link didn't work

Ah, Mundo not Munson. Thanks for the info, definitely something worth looking into.

yubabikes.com...
Thanks for the link fix. I sincerely tell you from many years experience, nothing beats a bicycle. Maybe Horses or oxen if you can afford them.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Next to a decent ATV, yeah a bike is a definite good choice. I'd try to find some solid rubber tires for sure (no air), other than a universal bike tool, I'd carry a small tube of grease and a spare chain or two. You could probably find one that collapses and would fit nicely on your ATV!
edit on 28-2-2016 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ThickAsABrick
Except that those require food, but at the same time can be a direct source of food or be used to work a farm for food.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
It looks like some prefer the Edgerunner over the Mundo...

yuba mundo vs edgerunner - Google Search

The problem with the extracycle frame, is that it is a bolt on part. Super wobbly, whereas the Yuba Mondo is a solid frame. The designer of the Yuba Mondo actually used to work for extracycle until He realized that there was a better way. Personally I have seen a number of extracycles and a few yuba mundos. The proof in the pudding is the attitude of the rider and well I'll leave It almost at that, except that the Mundo is the only one that parents feel safe strapping their children to.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
Next to a decent ATV, yeah a bike is a definite good choice. I'd try to find some solid rubber tires for sure (no air), other than a universal bike tool, I'd carry a small tube of grease and a spare chain or two. You could probably find one that collapses and would fit nicely on your ATV!
It depends on how badly things go. I grew up with ATCs, remember the 3 wheelers? They were awesome, but they need gas. All a bicycle requires is s bit of sweat
If you go electric, a bit of sun plus sweat.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

After reading several reviews it appears that you are right, most prefer the Yuba Mundo over the Xtracycle...

In summary: if I was in the market for a true cargo bike, I’d be hard pressed not to get the Yuba Mundo. It would take some fiddling to make it as good a kid carrier as my setup. However, I was very impressed with the rigidity of this thing. I think that this bike is going to kill the market for more expensive longtails. Also, I’ve found that the modularity of the Xtracycle system is a bit of an illusion. ...in terms of price and carrying capacity, I would say the Yuba Mundo can’t be beat at this point in time.

jnyyz.wordpress.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
Except that those require food, but at the same time can be a direct source of food or be used to work a farm for food.
Yes true, I just recently started to actually post opinions and this is a personal opinion that I think is more valuable than promoting people buying humvees or SUVS.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The best bug out vehicle is a sailboat (houseboat especially). Bike is best for land of course.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Is riding an ATB in style now in your country. Here, I've been a cyclist now for over 2 decades and people can't really believe my age. I intend to continue as long as I can. I thought at one time I would try to organize a whole cross country tour on bicycle, but so far I'm only thinking about it. Here in Japan, cross country cycling is done at university vacation time. I 'm too slow to keep up with them but always enjoyed the chats at the 7-11's when we met up.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   

After reading several reviews it appears that you are right, most prefer the Yuba Mundo over the Xtracycle...

In summary: if I was in the market for a true cargo bike, I’d be hard pressed not to get the Yuba Mundo. It would take some fiddling to make it as good a kid carrier as my setup. However, I was very impressed with the rigidity of this thing. I think that this bike is going to kill the market for more expensive longtails. Also, I’ve found that the modularity of the Xtracycle system is a bit of an illusion. ...in terms of price and carrying capacity, I would say the Yuba Mundo can’t be beat at this point in time.

jnyyz.wordpress.com...
I think I mentioned that I spent a few years working as a bicycle courier here in Canada. That means, 2-3 feet of snow? It's -40 degrees outside? I try to be gentle with Americans, but if your not from Alaska, Montana, Maine or any of the states in between, you really don't know what trying to survive Is all about.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I hear yah.

When I was a wee child, we moved from LA to Alaska, OMFG what a difference...

A couple of interesting sources I ran across:

Source: [PDF]Living Ready Magazine Summer 2013 - Page 20

In his book for preppers, "Build the Perfect Bug Out Vehicle: The Disaster Survival Vehicle Guide," Creek Stewart shares a picture of his fully loaded Yuba Mundo cargo bike. This exceptional bicycle is neither a derailleur system nor an internally-geared drivetrain. It offers an infinite amount of gear-free shifting with an easy-to-use interface. Plus, there's a built-in, and extra long cargo rack.

There three types of bugout bikes:

1. Bug Out Bike (for getting out of Dodge). This is a well equipped bicycle pre-packed with gear to get you to your survival destination when you can't use your car, truck or SUV. Usually, it's not a fold up bike. It's a mountain bike, a touring bike, a Military paratroop bike, or a cargo bike. This bike is ready to go at a moment's notice, in your garage or storage area.

2. Get Home Bike (for reverse commuting). This could be a fold-up bicycle, commuter bike or recreational bike. It's a bike committed to staying affixed to your vehicle or at your workplace and has the purpose of getting you back home.

3. Escape Bike (for an alternate escape). Whether a fold-up bicycle, commuter bike or recreational bike, this bike stays affixed to your vehicle. Its sole purpose is to get you to your survival destination when you must abandon the car, truck or SUV. It's a contingency vehicle if your other vehicle fails to get you to safety!

www.happypreppers.com...

Build the Perfect Bug Out Vehicle

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

I hear yah.

When I was a wee child, we moved from LA to Alaska, OMFG what a difference...

A couple of interesting sources I ran across:

Source: [PDF]Living Ready Magazine Summer 2013 - Page 20

In his book for preppers, "Build the Perfect Bug Out Vehicle: The Disaster Survival Vehicle Guide," Creek Stewart shares a picture of his fully loaded Yuba Mundo cargo bike. This exceptional bicycle is neither a derailleur system nor an internally-geared drivetrain. It offers an infinite amount of gear-free shifting with an easy-to-use interface. Plus, there's a built-in, and extra long cargo rack.

There three types of bugout bikes:

1. Bug Out Bike (for getting out of Dodge). This is a well equipped bicycle pre-packed with gear to get you to your survival destination when you can't use your car, truck or SUV. Usually, it's not a fold up bike. It's a mountain bike, a touring bike, a Military paratroop bike, or a cargo bike. This bike is ready to go at a moment's notice, in your garage or storage area.

2. Get Home Bike (for reverse commuting). This could be a fold-up bicycle, commuter bike or recreational bike. It's a bike committed to staying affixed to your vehicle or at your workplace and has the purpose of getting you back home.

3. Escape Bike (for an alternate escape). Whether a fold-up bicycle, commuter bike or recreational bike, this bike stays affixed to your vehicle. Its sole purpose is to get you to your survival destination when you must abandon the car, truck or SUV. It's a contingency vehicle if your other vehicle fails to get you to safety!

www.happypreppers.com...

Build the Perfect Bug Out Vehicle
Hmmm, the first suggestion made me think of the rohloff hub but the article says nonderailleurs, non internal hubs, which makes me think, unicorn? I can actually produce a picture of a tire built under the name unicorn, but as far as actual usefulness? NOPE!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   

The only problem with a bike is exposure.

If traffic is gridlock or cars are not working and you are trying to get OUT of a city, expect someone to attempt to "bike jack" you. Probably more than once. You are very exposed and off balance on a bicycle.

Great idea, but get "away" from people as best as possible. Find that back road, have that route mapped out.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
The best bug out vehicle is a sailboat (houseboat especially). Bike is best for land of course.
True! If one is rich enough to own a sailboat capable of reaching foreign shores. Personally I just want a canoe wherein if I meet with local natives I can at least say: "You know I didn't start this! Come on!"

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Probably, at least you would never have to worry about running out of gas.

Though those bikes are a bit to much, or at least to long you could carry more things on them but would sacrifice mobility for anything off road and they dont look like you could quick turn on them to easily and to long in the chain for mobility. I would rather stick to a good mountain bike, and a good backpack, and one of those pack carry on attachments on the back, would work, that and you would keep the mobility on all terrains as well.

Either way, I would say ya, a bike if all else and things do go to the hamsters would be a better route to go, after all gas wont last forever once everything is gone to #z, so anything gas powered would not likely last a long time, but a bike you can pretty much pack up and go, even take it with you in the car or whatever, its pretty utilitarian.

edit on 12amMondayam292016f1amMon, 29 Feb 2016 00:32:06 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I'm not even thinking of to a foreign nation. But say off the coast, in a lake or down a river really. Well, local natives would end up being modern day people in such a situation, no?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join